Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pain Pillow

Blog Entries

Pain Pillow

My sis in S.C. sent me a 'Pain Pillow'--it is fantastic and believe me, it works. I do not want to tear pillow apart to find out what is inside it. Feels like some kind of seed. This unit can be put in microwave, no water--do not get it wet. After pillow becomes too flat, just throw away. Any idea on what is on the inside? I thought I might try my hand at this craft. Want to try right away, not wait until it gets flat-ha ! Thanks

Blog Entries
    My doctor told me to put 2 lbs of rice into a cloth bag. Then heat it in the microwave. I don't know what yours has but the rice works beautifully.

I made bags with rice in them, and they are great. My mom loves hers, and so do I.

Blog Entries
    I've used flax seed and it works well.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking it's flax seed.

Rice, flax seed, barley etc. have all been used.
    There is a pellet product (like plastic bean bag beans) that can be used too.

For the grains ... yes be careful of moisture.
    And too, remember that grains are delicious to little furry critters (aka mice) ... so store carefully between uses or you may be able to find out all too easily what the contents are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were given 2 both with rice and they work well...
    Nancy

I have done the rice one...
    Made one for my Uncle, probably 8 years ago...just found it the other day. It looked OK...not moldy or eaten up...and they did have mice a couple of years ago.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

My daughter in law made me a large one and a small one using corn. I "pop" them ( I should say I heat them) in the microwave for about one minute and use them on my shoulders after a long day of quilting. They are also great for laying on my hands to relieve any aches. Wonderful, soothing moist heat!

Quote Originally Posted by annievee View Post
    My sis in S.C. sent me a 'Pain Pillow'--it is fantastic and believe me, it works. I do not want to tear pillow apart to find out what is inside it. Feels like some kind of seed. This unit can be put in microwave, no water--do not get it wet. After pillow becomes too flat, just throw away. Any idea on what is on the inside? I thought I might try my hand at this craft. Want to try right away, not wait until it gets flat-ha ! Thanks
    Hi annievee, these heat bags are easy to make, you can also add dried lavender, very comforting.It is also quite a good idea to make an outer bag to slip over it, this can then be washed every so often to keep it clean and fresh.I love mine, Letty

Blog Entries
    I just made one for my daughter using rice and added a mixture of marjoram, rosemary and cloves. Smells really good when heated. My next ones will use feed corn. I've heard it holds the heat longer.

The size can be made to conform to different parts of the body. I have made a number of different sizes. I prefer flax seed as it is is the most stable (from moisture, mold and critters)...I take a fine netting and make a bag slightly smaller that the size of the outer bag and once filled sew it shut...so nothing leaks out....the for the out bag, I use a very soft material flannel, terry cloth, etc...creating a pillow envelop, then drop the fill bag into to...if the out bag get dirty....toss, wash, dry, and reuse....I also ad lavender dried or lavender essential oils (few drops, especially for neck) the scent also adds to relaxation which helps in pain control.

Blog Entries
    Over here we call these pillows "Körnerkissen" what means "grain pillows"!! They are filled with wheat, rye or rapeseed and they save the warmth for long time!! It's also very suitable for babys: I made one looking like a mouse for easing babys tummyache!!! And we have a long one to put into the buggy on very cold days to keep the baby warm!!

My friend makes these using organic flax seed and various natural herbs and essential oils.
    She also has pillow covers for ease of care so you don't have to empty it out for washing.
    She recommends storing between uses in a ziplock bag or if mice are a problem put in a cookie tin.

pal
    An industrious lady at work made them, and sold them, for $10 each. She used wonderful fabrics, geared to different personalities - cats, sewing, running, etc. and made a boodle of money.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I think I will make one ! Are you using just one layer of plain cotton fabric for the cover..... ?
    llweezie

I have made several for myself and family members. I use buckwheat husks inside and they are fabulous. Mine goes with me whenever I travel because once you use them you don't want to be without!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine has one. Hers has rice in it. Gets really warm. I made her an outer bag so she could launder it also. I attached some Velcro so she could adjust it. Her husband uses it also.

Blog Entries
    My daughter made a corn filled one for a mother's day gift years & years ago. She used two wash rags sewed together for one (square) and a pretty hand towel (long). I still use them. I can only remember one other Mother's Day gift that she gave me and it was a Featherweight.
    TwandasMom

I have made several with deer corn and a couple of flavored teas(Taken out of bag) mixed in. Also I also did an outer cover so it could be washed when it soiled (Made the cover in flannel it help hold in the heat) The cover I made was the envelope type like for a pillow sham

I make mine using deer feed corn. I use muslin or such for the actual bag, then also make a cotton cover-like a pillow case- so it can be washed. The corn holds the heat longer than the smaller grains, I find. But have also used flax seed, rice.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Our sewing group for the hospital makes these bags. We put rice in them, but a friend who also makes them uses buckwheat.

I bought our oldest Granddaughter a long thing at Walgreens for to heat for her headaches. Has two blue plastic rings, one on each end. It will go around her neck or put on her head. It usually helps her headaches, not always if they are real bad.
    I don't know what is in it, I would think plastic beads. Doubt any that could bought in stores would have food stuff of any kind.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    These are really nice for sinus headaches. Bugs will get in them if you don't store in a plastic baggie or container. I have sinus problems and TMJ. I often put rice into an old athletic sock and place it into the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to get burned! The moist heat is soothing.

Blog Entries
    I know some folks use deer corn... its sold at Farm and Garden places... its untreated corn and works well!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast