Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Patches for my torn couches? >

Patches for my torn couches?

Patches for my torn couches?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Patches for my torn couches?

Hi, All,

Has anyone ever repaired tears in their upholstery with fused patches?

I bought my sofa and overstuffed chair eight years ago, when I start graduate school. Now, two degrees and one residency later, I'm off to a new and hopefully permanent gig. Can't afford to replace the grad school furniture quite yet, but the sides and arms have been ripped by my (now-deceased) cat. It's visibly torn, but no stuffing coming out or anything. I've been living with it for a long time, always thinking I would replace them entirely with the next move, but moving is expensive and slipcovers are a pain and not all that cheap.

Since I'm going to be living with the sofa and chair for at least another year, I wanted to make it a little nicer. Doesn't have to look brand new and I don't even mind if the patches match perfectly (to the couch or to each other). I just want things to look a little...tidier...

So, I was thinking of getting some iron-on patches and/or double-sided fusible. Anyone done this before?

As always,
Thanks for your help and advice!

Best,
Aso
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 AM

If it were me, I would get a couple sheets and throw them on each piece and do some tucking. Wouldn't cost much, go to wal mart, they sell individual sheets for about 5.00 bucks.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:01 AM

How about making some arm covers. My recliner still looks new because I have covers on the arms and a throw (coordinated color) on the seat and back, which not only diminishes wear on the recliner, but I wash the throw about every 6 wks.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Depending on the fabric, I would be careful of using an iron on fusible. If it's just the arms and sides Maybe just cover with a couple throws.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 AM

I took fabric from the bottom of a chair where they tack the fabric to the frame..tucked it inside the tear and stitched around the tear some to keep it in place..can't see where I fixed it.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Makes some arm covers in a co-ordinating fabric. I have a set on my recliner and a head rest as well. I throw them in the wash when needed.
You could iron on patches but if the fabric has nylon/polyester in it, the fabric will melt. You could also stitch the patches on using a curved needle and upholstery thread.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM

I would go with the arm covers as well. In fact, need to do that on our recliner. I did get a largish 'swatch' of 'close' fabric at one point to repair a tear (for same reason except it was the dog) on the one arm. Tried using fabric glue. Patch wasn't quite large enough so really didn't work well. We have an upholsterer locally that I've used for a variety of items. They said I'm welcome to come rummage through their scrap bin whenever I'd like to find something to either match or coordinate. So far, just haven't taken the time to do it. No charge for those scraps.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Sounds like you're pressed for time, so I would go with the sheets for covers, or check out thrift stores for a very large bedspread and use that. If you go this route, pick up some pipe insulation and cut in lengths to shove in at the back and sides where you are tucking it in. The pipe insulation will hold the cover in better. I also turn thumbs down on the iron-on patches. If you do decide to sew on patches, look into a "Speedy Stitcher" at Amazon.com. It's a stitching awl, and I have it on my list to order for some repairs where I cannot get something under the presser foot of the machine.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 AM

Iron on's are a waste of time and money. Arm covers are very quick and easy to make. I made some for my love seat but I made them longer so that I could tuck them down inside the cushion area and they stay in place Cut and sew time 30 minutes.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 AM

My daughter exchanged living room furniture when she moved to a smaller apartment. The furniture that she gave me had a couple of holes. I patched the holes with iron on patches. You have to be careful not to touch the touch that is not torn because I accidentally did this and the fabric just melted away. It made me wonder how long it would take for this couch to go up in flames....probably not long