Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, please help me with a torn quilt!

Those of you that know me know I am just beginning to quilt, and am in the infantsey of teaching myself to sew. This is the quilt I spoke about a long time ago that my granny made for me some 48 years ago. Last night I had it on my lap while sitting in my wheelchair. I went to go across the room and the quilt got caught under the wheel and I heard what had to be the most sickening sound I EVER heard in my life. PLEASE help me fix this!!! I am about to go into a deep dark depression!
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Oh David that is aweful! I wish I could tell you how to fix it. I have a couple of quilts that my DGM made that need fixing but I have put them away until I have more experience. I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Blog Entries
    Oh I am so sorry!! The opnly suggestion I would have would be to pick out a couple fabric that might match and sandwhich them over the torn area. that looks like a pretty nasty tear! Cover up might just be the best idea.

Blog Entries
    Oh my!......Some one please help!

I would try to whip stitch it back together with matching thread.

Blog Entries
    So sorry...I hope you will be able to find a fix. I have Grandmother's Flower Garden that is old, and I haven't been brave enough to do anything yet.

First, Put it back together with hand stitching, don't try to make it right at this stage, just get it back together as best you can. Try to make it lie flat as you pull fabrics and batting together. The stitches you put in at this stage are for reinforcement.

Next, look for fabrics that come close.

First, whipstitch a patch on the back.

Second, Find bits of batting that come close to the original. Is it cotton or polyester? It looks like cotton from here. Put them in with hand stitches, kinda like darning.

Third, Layer in your replacement fabrics, whipstitching them in place.

All this will take time. Just remember that quilts acquire character, sometimes by accident. You will love it all that much more.

This really hasme on the verge of tears, it is one thing I have kept with me everyday since childhood Thank you everyone for your sympathy
    David

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    First, Put it back together with hand stitching, don't try to make it right at this stage, just get it back together as best you can. Try to make it lie flat as you pull fabrics and batting together. The stitches you put in at this stage are for reinforcement.

Next, look for fabrics that come close.

First, whipstitch a patch on the back.

Second, Find bits of batting that come close to the original. Is it cotton or polyester? It looks like cotton from here. Put them in with hand stitches, kinda like darning.

Third, Layer in your replacement fabrics, whipstitching them in place.

All this will take time. Just remember that quilts acquire character, sometimes by accident. You will love it all that much more.
    OH Red! thank you sooo much!!! Could you just explain to me the stitches you mentioned ie whip stitch ect
    Thank you
    David

David, PM Debbieumphress she repairs quilts for people, she'll be able to help you.

Banned
    OK David. Calm down. Perhaps this will lighten up your depression. You will need to remake the torn part. That means taking out the pieces, cutting templates and making new block. The backing would need to be pieced.
    So it can be done. Now to fabric. You can go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and get faded clothing that would match the look of the replacing pieces. OR.......if you ever come down to the $1.99 store and bring it, I could go into my closet and find matching fabrics. Does either of these suggestions lighten up your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    David, PM Debbieumphress she repairs quilts for people, she'll be able to help you.
    ahh thank you I know Debbie!
    Thank you
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    OK David. Calm down. Perhaps this will lighten up your depression. You will need to remake the torn part. That means taking out the pieces, cutting templates and making new block. The backing would need to be pieced.
    So it can be done. Now to fabric. You can go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and get faded clothing that would match the look of the replacing pieces. OR.......if you ever come down to the $1.99 store and bring it, I could go into my closet and find matching fabrics. Does either of these suggestions lighten up your day.
    very much so!!!
    Thank you!!
    David

please don't go into a depresson!!! we need you on here.now about the quilt....I would start with the back,cut a piece of muslin a little larger then the tear and appique in onto the back.then put some batting on top of the muslin,then put a piece of white fabric on top of the batting.then try pulling the tear together and whip stiching it.by having the white fabric underneath it will give you something to stich to.also if the tear can't be pulled all the way together you can stich it down.hope this makes sense.good luck and God bless

That is just terrrible - I don't know how to fix it either - unless you took it apart and added new pieces. I am sure someone on here can help you more than me. I have a couple of quilts my grandmothers made and I am afraid to do much with them - but I love looking at them - sometimes they have old material from our clothes - what great memories. I think your quilt still has all the memories - its just like us - as it gets older it gets a little worn around the edges (just like my body). Good luck my friend.

thank you emma!
    yes otis this was mostly made with clothing scraps
    thank you everyone
    David

I'm so sorry this happened. I still have a quilt that my Great Granny made me and I just love it! Ratty and all-I love it!

Blog Entries
    I found an old quilt at a flea mkt with pieces missing and I found fabric close enough to match it I repaired it with light weight fusible web .I think you can find old material and patch it to look as good as old. hope this helps. Please don't be depressed

Blog Entries
    I know how that must have broke your heart, but you have had many suggestions from your friends here, so I bet you work it out. I'd probably get a piece of iron on interfacing and place it on the back, bring edges together as well as you can, then backstitch . For the top, use some Wonder Under on some fabric scraps, fuse down then hand stitch down. A whip stitch is just going from the patch to the background, moving forward each time a little bit.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    David, just think how delighted your Granny must be that you still love her quilt so much after all of these years! I'm sure as you use all the great suggestions for repairing it, you will be putting a smile on her face.

Here is a video showing the whip stitch. There are several available. Look around until you find one you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kGyZDWZcA

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi David, my dear, don't fret, the good witch is here. I think I can fix it up and you won't even notice it.Crossing fingers and toes here. Will send you a pm and you can send it to me bestway. It will be a challenge and I can show off my abilities. ROFL. I saw your pm to me and it sounded so urgent. Thanks for telling him about me, even though, yes he knows me. ROFL. Dry up the tears. I have fabrics in my "little" stash to match most. Let me know.

Don't cry my friend. HUGS
    Name:  Attachment-129293.jpe
Views: 92
Size:  21.5 KB

I am soooooo very sorry. Please don't try to mend this with new fabric. New fabric with old will make a bad pucker or blow out the old. Find some older fabric (I have a vintage flour sack apron that might work) Do you know how to darn? Hand darn? Whip stich? An older floursack towel would work. The batting looks like cotton from here (my mother in law used to tell me stories of her mother using cotton for her quilts (not what we would call batting. If you are interested in the apron, I would be glad to send it to you......wouldn't match but it's old and it wouldn't be glaring. Others may also have older things that would work. Feel free to private message me if you want. I've done a lot of handing mending in my lifetime. If you can find older thread, so much the better.

Thank you one and all for your suggestions and for your caring!!!!! This site just blows me away!
    I am going to send this to my angel Debbie. Thank you Debbie for offering your services!
    David

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I will even take before and after pictures for you so you have a record of it and send along some fabrics for future repair when you inadvertantly run over it again with your wheelchair. I'll let you know when my visitor arrives. Thanks for trusting me with your treasure.♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I will even take before and after pictures for you so you have a record of it and send along some fabrics for future repair when you inadvertantly run over it again with your wheelchair. I'll let you know when my visitor arrives. Thanks for trusting me with your treasure.♥♥
    Debbie you are so kind!!!! emmamarie

Blog Entries
    David, I'm so sorry that this happened to the quilt that your granny made. My heart went out to you when I read your post. I'm so happy that you have found somone to fix this precious quilt :-P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast