Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, please help me with a torn quilt!

One of the special treasures of my life has been the advancing ability, due to just doing it, of mending and repairing beloved quilts and making a pieced top (somewhat like a table cloth) into something useful for the current owners. In addition of .ooking for "old" pieces in thrift stores and yard sales, etc., I found that constantly looking at new cloth, especially in plain colors as well as reproduction prints helps in finding what can be useful. I wash these pieces many times, using bleach to "lighten" and soften specific pieces, to blend in with the original. All the suggestions on how to insert and repair the damage are great.....And please, don't dispair. What better legacy than to keep your grandmother's quilt viable for many years yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Dont we have the greatest group of kind folks. David I am glad you are going to get Otis fixed.
    Actually he was referring to my post - my name is Otis on the board - I don't know if the quilt has a name but he could use mine if he wants. What a great board this is.

Daivid everyone has offered great advice.....all I can do is give you a ((((((David))))))) and tell you it will look as good as new when your done. Just think......your stitches along with your grandmothers...can't beat that team now can you? :)
    sass

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    OK David. Calm down. Perhaps this will lighten up your depression. You will need to remake the torn part. That means taking out the pieces, cutting templates and making new block. The backing would need to be pieced.
    So it can be done. Now to fabric. You can go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and get faded clothing that would match the look of the replacing pieces. OR.......if you ever come down to the $1.99 store and bring it, I could go into my closet and find matching fabrics. Does either of these suggestions lighten up your day.
    David, this is a great idea.
    I do understand how you feel though. But don't worry- you CAN fix it!
    Sending you a HUG :)
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that happened to you David. Recently I helped my daughter "repair" a quilt that her boyfriends grandma had made for him and over the years it had tons of tears in it and she asked if I could help her repair it so she could give it to him for Christmas. Well, naturally I said yes I would help her...man that was a project in itself. But we did get it done, maybe not perfect by no means but it was repaired to the best of my and her ability. We had to replace some of the batting that was inside and we used an old blanket and cut a big huge section and tucked it in as flat as we could, found some fabric from old clothes and things and cut out patches and we just whipped stitched them onto the front and back. This particular quilt was just a nine block so we didnt have to worry about trying to fix a pattern because if it were...we couldn't have done it. She gave it to him for Christmas and he was so grateful. He hadn't even a clue that my daughter "snuck it out" of the house because he had folded it up and put it in the closet so it wouldn't be totally ruined. So now it probably has another ten years or so of life left in it. So there is always hope David. I wish you good luck.

Find some old looking material, remake the block using the pattern that's there, and do QAYG method. I had to repair an quilt that a dog chewed. Not as much fun as making a new quilt, but it will work. Good luck!

Oh, I feel your devistation! But look at the bright side!
    You have a chance to add to the story of the quilt for a future chapter!
    I would flatten out the quilt and make it as clost to what it was. Then find a piece of material that would look right with the rest of the quilt. Then draw out something large enough to cover the area and using something like steam-a-seam lite (for applique)apply the patch over the area, and then do the same on the back. Use a matching thread to stitch the patch down. You could use a wheel pattern or a heart with a broken zig zag down the center of it. Look at the mishap as a way to add to your experience. This is how I have learned over my many years of sewing!! Good luck and don't forget to show us the outcome. A big hug for sympathy and encouragement!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    First, Put it back together with hand stitching, don't try to make it right at this stage, just get it back together as best you can. Try to make it lie flat as you pull fabrics and batting together. The stitches you put in at this stage are for reinforcement.

Next, look for fabrics that come close.

First, whipstitch a patch on the back.

Second, Find bits of batting that come close to the original. Is it cotton or polyester? It looks like cotton from here. Put them in with hand stitches, kinda like darning.

Third, Layer in your replacement fabrics, whipstitching them in place.

All this will take time. Just remember that quilts acquire character, sometimes by accident. You will love it all that much more.
    You can use a piece of fine soft tulle for the first part and be careful not to try and bring the torn edges together if they no longer fit. This will help keep your quilt flat as you patch it up. Good luck. Take your time and you can do it.

OMG David, I am so sorry...the only thing I have to offer you is a cyber hug (how lame is that) My heart is sad for you :(

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi David! So, so sorry. I can't even imagine how that sound made you feel. I am really impressed with the "fixes" you have received and in no way am I experienced enough to dispute these great quilters. But, I just had a thought! Wouldn't it be nice to put a piece on that spot with a photo of your grandma and some information about her and her quilt? The photo quilts I have seen are really memorable and if you did this it could make a "mistake" a really great thing. Just my thoughts. Good luck and happy stitching. Please let us see it when you have it done. Yolanda Wood River

Blog Entries
    OK here is what I did with a $4.00 king quilt I found at GW.
    It had a hole the size of a silver doller all the way through like
    yours. I started with a piece of batting bigger then the hole to
    fill it up. The added fiber glue around the edge and just tacked
    it on both sides. Then I found a patch close to the color for
    the top square and patched it in the seams as best as I could.
    On the back tear I put a heart shape top patch applique stitch,
    and then made it a label with the info as to date, and discovery
    data. Not perfect but came out better then I expected, and I
    have to even hunt for the repair on the front.

Silver Lining: Think of it as a blessing, now you can say that you AND your grandmother BOTH worked on this quilt. How cool is that!

Blog Entries
    David-please show us a bigger pic. I might have fabric to ad to your lovely old quilt. Judy

What I would do is; pick a fabric for the top that goes with the rest,larger than the hole, batting large enough to fill the hole, and backing fabric a little larger than the hole. I'd start with the backing; hand sew your patch, whip stitch the batting , then add the top patch, by hand,I use the back sides of fabrics sometimes if I want a faded look.
    Don't worry, with a little patience, and some hand work it'll be fine.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I will even take before and after pictures for you so you have a record of it and send along some fabrics for future repair when you inadvertantly run over it again with your wheelchair. I'll let you know when my visitor arrives. Thanks for trusting me with your treasure.♥♥
    You ROCK Debbie! Hope one of you can post the before and after pics here.

David, so many others have made good suggestions about fixing your quilt and I'm certain you can do it. The love from your grandmother is still in it. and it will be all the more special because you are able to do this. God bless and chin up. It is fixable and you are able.

David - you've gotten a lot of good advice here. You'll get the tear fixed, and no matter what, the quilt will still always be your treasure from Granny!

I feel your pain, David. Perhaps if none of the suggestions are successful, you could cut off the torn part and make the quilt smaller. It looks as though the tear is near the edge. I know it would break your heart to do it but it might be the only think that works.

To preserve the quilt where it is torn, I would probably use some lightweight fusible interfacing to reinforce it.
    Straighten out the damaged part as much as you can to fill the empty area,add a little thin batting to fill in the empty area, doing this from the wrong side,lay a piece of fusible interfacing over it, protect your ironing board with pressing paper or typing paper and gently drop your iron on the interfacing, don't iron, just put it down one step at a time to hold the damaged area together.
    With muslin or patchwork made from faded clothing, make a new area and stitch it over the damaged part and for your own sake, think of Grandma whenever you see this area. If you wish, you could put a new piece of cloth on the back where the interfacing is. Hand or machine stitch the repairs and hand quilt or tie the new fabric through all surfaces. That is how I would fix it. I have a quilt my grandmother made me in 1934 and I have to repair the top edge, we used it lovingly. Having it brings her back every time I see the quilt and yours will too.

Carol J.

too bad - I think that you could find a matching or close to the same type of fabric and construct a simular block.

I agree with red madder. Also once you have it closed as best you can with mostly basting see if replacing a patch or two might look better. Or maybe some kind of thin wonder under type reinforcement behind the repair might help. There are people who repair old quilts ask the closest quilt museum to you for recommend someone. Your grand ma's love for you is what will never change or wear out. Thats way more important than any thing else. Diane C

Hi Dave, I am a newbie, saw your problem. You have my sympathy. I was wondering about using that area to put a label with the info about who made it and when. Maybe put some batting behind it and use some muslin, tea stained to look older. Just a thought. Good luck

David this was my first inclination too. It seems like you got some wonderful options and ideas. I am so sorry this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmbishop2
    Hi Dave, I am a newbie, saw your problem. You have my sympathy. I was wondering about using that area to put a label with the info about who made it and when. Maybe put some batting behind it and use some muslin, tea stained to look older. Just a thought. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Thank you one and all for your suggestions and for your caring!!!!! This site just blows me away!
    I am going to send this to my angel Debbie. Thank you Debbie for offering your services!
    David
    Isn't it amazing how the Lord works? Bless you David and Debbie and all the wonderful folks on this site! I 'm sooo glad I found it!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    David
    Do you know the name of the pattern so you can get some templates?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast