Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Please, please help me with a torn quilt!

Sorry, Im a day behind reading the posts so you may be feeling better today, I hope. I too am disabled with a pain disease and clinical depression. Do not let this get you down. We have enough that gets us down. Your sweet grandmother would just tell you not to worry about it. I hope that you have found the answers you needed. You got alot of good responses. the quilt on my bed was my first ever quilt and our beagle slept with us on it for over 9 yrs and completely wore out 2 of the squares. I found some scraps and remade them by putting in a new square of batting and then whip stitching the blocks back and on the back I did the same with a new block. Then I requilted on top of them. Noone can tell. I pray that God will send his angels to comfort you and your quilt will be just fine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel
    Debbie as we know our quilt family has probably got scraps that may match any he has to replace . I would be glad to go through mine to ceck and see. The pattern looks like it may of been an Inproved 9 Patch. Where the corners of the 9 patch come to a sort of point. There seems to be turquoise and some white like shirting. An old pair of pillow case from Goodwill could furnish some maybe the right weight and softness. We can all use this as an oppertunity to help a fellow quilter.
    When he gets it to me, if he doesn't decide to take it on himself with all the wonderful advice on here, I will look at it and then see. I have old pillowcases too and older scraps. Will have to see it up close and personal to see. Thanks♥♥

Blog Entries
    As you pin the pieces back together as well as possible, maybe try using some 505 Basting Spray to hold them since that may be less stressful on the old fabrics than pins...?
    or even some fusible webbing to hold them until you can requilt them to the reinforcing fabrics behind them that were suggested here.
    Bless you for loving that wonderful old work of art so much!

Please post photos of your restoration, too, because we all care and appreciate your frame of mind over the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Those of you that know me know I am just beginning to quilt, and am in the infantsy of teaching myself to sew. This is the quilt I spoke about a long time ago that my granny made for me some 48 years ago. Last night I had it on my lap while sitting in my wheelchair. I went to go across the room and the quilt got caught under the wheel and I heard what had to be the most sickening sound I EVER heard in my life. PLEASE help me fix this!!! I am about to go into a deep dark depression!
    David
    I would unpick the square and try to find fabric similar colors. Make the block(Sandwiched) and hand stitch it into place. Do the back first then whip stitch tiny stitches on the front. Please let us know how it goes.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Oh David, I just got back from a computerless vacation. Your story hurts my heart. But...you did get some great suggestions from out lovely quilting boarders...please keep us posted on which method you use and the outcome. It will be an inspiration to all us newbies...

David,
    I am so sorry to hear this-I am sure it is devastating. You have been offered some great advice-I think this will be okay and Grandma's quilt will continue to be loved :-)
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    This really hasme on the verge of tears, it is one thing I have kept with me everyday since childhood Thank you everyone for your sympathy
    David
    David, while this is a sad thing to happen, just remember the most important things in life. It's just fabric afterall. You'll get creative & fix it somehow.
    My perspective of what's important in life changed last wk. when I was in Hawaii with my oldest son, wife, & 3 yr old. & the tsunami threat hit Hawaii. We were warned to stay above the 5th floor of the hotel but I was terrified at the unknown of what we might be in for. A torn quilt seems like a sm. but fixable thing in comparison.
    I wish I were close enough to you to help you with it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4