Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
pattern for american doll- 18 in-one size all doen,t fit >

pattern for american doll- 18 in-one size all doen,t fit

pattern for american doll- 18 in-one size all doen,t fit

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

still looking
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

what pattern did you use? I'm going to try making some clothes also. Just ordered an Amer.Girl for my granddaughter, but the price of the clothing is too high for me!! If you find a good pattern, would you PM me?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

If you google 18 Doll clothes patterns you will get tons of hits. I don't make these so i don't know what a good price is. Here is one from Amazon that has links to others. There were plenty of hits that came back as "free"

http://www.amazon.com/McCalls-Patter.../dp/B001PDKDB2
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Mccalls has some really cute patterns. I just made some clothes for our Church auction. I waited until they were on sale at joanns Because $l5.00 is too much to pay for them. They were really in style and fit fine.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM

I believe I used McCalls or Simplicity years ago. I gave them all away a few years back. I don't remember them being too exspensive...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

I used the 18" girl doll patterns from McCall, Simp. when I did the clothes for American Girls for my GD's several years ago. The patterns fit the dolls and were very cute. I still see the patterns in the catalogs, watch for them to be on sale at JoAnn's, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Also watch in Estate sales and Church rummage sales. I recently went to a Church sale and found an absolutely lovely unused Better Homes and Gardens Transportation Quilt Pattern. It had been stuck into a brown hanging file and looked uninteresting till I checked it out. I paid the magnificent sum of 25 cents for it.

Isn't the American doll cute? And I was thinking that I could make a dummy for the clothes to be fitted on. The dolls seem to be all the same size, about 18 or so inches. I'm thinking that if I could make the dummy, I could design clothes for sales for charities.
Any suggestions? Paper mache is solid and long lasting.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:15 PM

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I used McCall's, Simplicity and Butterick patterns for l8" dolls. I made dresses, jumpers, jeans, blouses, panties, slips, nightgowns, bathrobes, winter coats and hats, shoulder bags, backpacks, even sleeping bags - everything you can think of. Made them for my granddaughters and also for craft shows. They fit the American Girl dolls and 2 generic l8" dolls I bought at a craft shop (Pat Catan's), all of which had slightly different waist and hip sizes and back neck-to-waist measurements. There was enough ease built into the patterns that everything fit all the dolls. Just go ahead and buy the patterns. Joann's usually has one of the pattern brands on sale for $1.99 every week. Hope you have as much fun as I did!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:15 PM

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I used McCall's, Simplicity and Butterick patterns for l8" dolls. I made dresses, jumpers, jeans, blouses, panties, slips, nightgowns, bathrobes, winter coats and hats, shoulder bags, backpacks, even sleeping bags - everything you can think of. Made them for my granddaughters and also for craft shows. They fit the American Girl dolls and 2 generic l8" dolls I bought at a craft shop (Pat Catan's), all of which had slightly different waist and hip sizes and back neck-to-waist measurements. There was enough ease built into the patterns that everything fit all the dolls. Just go ahead and buy the patterns. Joann's usually has one of the pattern brands on sale for $1.99 every week. Hope you have as much fun as I did!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by harley
still looking
My oldest granddaughters, now in their 20s, all had American Dolls, think there were only 4 or 5 different dolls at that time. I made outfits using patterns I ordered directly from American Girl, don't think they are available any longer. No problem with the fit. Recently I came across a site that had fabric with American Girl outfits printed on it, the kind that you cut out the dress, etc. and sew it together. Wish I could remember what site it was. May in Jersey

PS. Here's a site that has a free pattern for one of the dresses, you have to scroll down to the American Girl sections.
Dress ... Anatomy of a Doll: The Fabric Sculptor's Handbook by Susanna Oroyan ...
www.allcrafts.net/dolls.htm