Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Peeling hard boiled eggs - argh!

I am over 60 years old and it took me all of this time to learn how to make a perfect boiled egg and peel with ease on an internet site a few years ago. First, to boil them {andit doesn't matter if it is 2 eggs or 10, cover eggs with water and add NOTHING {no salt, vinegar or anything}. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Then take eggs off the heat and keep the pan covered and set your timer for 8 minutes and then they are done! Perfect eggs with no black {rim around the yolk}! So to peel them, hit the egg shell {with a knife or on a sharp surface} around the middle of the egg all the way around. Then the egg shell should come off fairly easy for you! :D

thanks, everyone, for all your help. I do put them in cold water from the stove. I think my problem is I use fresh eggs. But I will try all your other hints.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    If you don't get that thin membrane attached to the shell, you end peeling away most of the egg. Does anyone have a magic way to peel eggs so that doesn't happen?
    boil in cold water and soon as you take off rinse in cold water...

Blog Entries
    I just peeled a dozen eggs yesterday, I hate that job too.

I buy my fresh eggs from a lady at work. I was doing the devil eggs for today so bought my eggs two weeks ago, so they wouldn't be so fresh. I boiled them and ran them under cold water. I decided to peel them last night so I could make the eggs after church today. They didn't peel easy, and took 45 minutes to peel 18 eggs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Boil the eggs and then put them in ice water. Going from hot to cold makes the egg pull away from the shell. Easy Peasy and perfect!
    after YEARS of frustration.... sometimes it was a breeze to peel them.... most times not...... and not understanding the reason.

The method explained by 'lovingmysoldier' works for me!

Craftybear posted this great article in Recipes about hard boiled eggs:

http://www.pauladeen.com/article_vie...t_boiled_eggs/

Blog Entries
    All you have to do is peel them under cold running water. The shell will peel right off.

Blog Entries
    That's amazing....I have to test it. I know fresh eggs can be a real pain to peel, so I try to keep some aside just for that occasion. Another hint to avoid that yucky green on the yolks after cooking,
    bring the eggs just to a boil...then turn off the heat, very important, and let them set in that boiled water for 12 minutes, pour off boiled water and rinse on cold water, works every time for me.

Place eggs in cold water, bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and cover. Let stand for at least 20 minutes. Yolks will not darken if you do it this way. After 20 minutes, drain, cover with ice water and let stand for a bit, then peel. Just remember, fresh eggs won't peel well any way you do it.

Put your eggs in the pan, fill with water, sprinkle TWO Tbs. of salt over them and into the water, then add ONE Tbs. of oil, vegetable, olive, whatever you cook with. When they come to a rolling boil, turn off the burner and let set 25 min.

Drain, run cold water over a couple of times, then get them into the fridge or peel. Egg shells are porous, the oil and salt make them peel easily. But I always make sure the eggs are at least a week old.

It seems that a lot of ladies boil the eggs an extremely long time! The method I learned was to put the eggs into cold water, put them on the stove and when they begin to boil turn down the heat. Time them for 10 minutes only. When cooked pour out the hot water, add some cold and some ice cubes. They will peal very easily.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My Grandma used to make deviled eggs that we loved. She would boil them, put them in cold water till they were cool enough to handle. Then she'd gently crack them all over, and pinch off a tiny bit of shell. Then she'd slip a small "tea" spoon the under the skin and slide it all around the egg, The whole skin would slide off. I still do that today with no problems.
    As a child I never noticed if she kept her older eggs for this, but today I'm sure that our "boughten" eggs are less than 3 months old. A search on the Internet will tell you that. I let some eggs set out over night to become room temp, because I forget to do this before peeling them.
    Ditto. This how I do mine too. So easy. But the eggs have to still be a bit warm to touch. I usually peel them when I can barley hold them (still real warm).

i have noticed since i started putting some vinegar in the water when i boil them and then run cold water over them crack them all and let them sit for a bit is the way i have the best luck but i think the vinegar is the biggest help

After pouring off the hot water I put the lid on and give a good shake !! Works everytime for me !!

Fresher eggs are usually always harder to peel. However, once I started using this method, I haven't had a problem, even with eggs I buy the day I want to use them. Here's how I do mine: I cover the eggs with water, add about a teaspoon of vinegar, and bring to a boil. (no lid) I boil for one minute, turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 18 minutes. Pour off the hot water, fill the pan with cold water, and add ice. When the eggs are cool, they should peel readily. I learned this basic method from the Food Channel many years ago, but I only recently started adding the vinegar and ice water. It seems to work; and I hope it will for you as well, if you decide to try it. Good luck!

I also have chickens and can take them fresh out of coop and boil my water, then with a large spoon put them in boiling water. boil 15 mins, pout out water and add cold, leave sit til cool, drain water, roll on counter, then peel. A dear friend gave me this advise

Blog Entries
    Barbara, when I boil eggs, I put them in tap (cold) water and cover them. Boil for 15 minutes. Throw off the water and fill with water from the faucet. Then take plenty ice cubes and throw over the eggs in the pot f or 15 minutes. You will have no trouble peeling them. Good luck!!!

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! Debra, that utube video is awesome. I will have to try that.

I do agree with all of you that I would not like to eat and egg that someone had blown on. Ugh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    My method:

1. Boil the eggs for 20 minutes
    2. Run under cold water until cool enough to handle
    3. Roll the egg between my hands for a few seconds - the idea is to encourage the shell to separate from the egg
    4. Now roll the egg on the counter, lightly tapping to crack the shell on all sides, but not hard enough to break through to the egg
    5. Tap the top and bottom of the egg on the counter to make a space for your fingers
    6. Begin at the bottom and pull off a section of shell.

About half the time the entire shell comes off as one piece.
    I just crack egg on counter , then roll on counter til shell leaves egg.

:D :D :D

I put the eggs in the pan with about an inch of water. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Turn the heat up, when boiling, turn the heat off, leaving the lid on tight. After 15 minutes, rinse the eggs in cold water, then cover in ice cubes. Mine always peel clean when I do it this way.

Blog Entries
    I crack them in a pan under water and no problem.

A sprinkle of cream of tartar added to the water before boiling also works well for a clean-peeling egg. I usually drain and place the eggs in cool water before peeling so they are easier to handle.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    I add salt to the water before boiling and when they are done I empty out the water ( save for later, my mom says it's good for plants) Then add cold water to them and that usually makes them easier to peel.

I peel mine this way all the time, makes it so easy. Just gentlt crack, take off one piece, then use the back of the handle of a teaspoon to get off the rest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast