Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Peeling hard boiled eggs - argh!

Ramona, you and I have the same technique.

I place them in very cold water after boiling them. Usually put ice in the water too and I never have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use to work in quality control for a poultry industry to pay for my college classes. Ask me anything about a chicken and the egg! I still inspect a whole chicken before I cook it. LOL
    I'm surprised you can still eat chicken after having that job! LOL

I use a small spoon works good for me

If you can find an electric egg cooker, it works like a charm. Uses a small amount of water and it pricks the end of egg before cooking. Peeling is a dream. You can cook 7 eggs at one time. Last Christmas a "Bee Buddy" gave each one of us in our bee one. Said she got them at Bed Bath and Beyond.
    Love it...

It is always easier to peel if you start with cold salted water in a pan then add eggs . Bring to boil and turn down and cook 15 mins. Drain the water and add cold water. Change water about every two to three minutes. Until the eggs are ready to peel. The salt help for the shells to peel without lossing the egg whites.

Had that trouble recently then learned the secrets. older eggs (like a week or two), very salted water, start them in cold, cook, then put in ice water to cool enough to handle, and they work great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Check out this youtube video ;-)

http://youtu.be/PN2gYHJNT3Y
    I think I'm going to go and boil some eggs

I never have problem peeling eggs since I dunk them in cold water immediately, usually even run the cold water over them. Maybe it shrinks the insides or causes the membrance to seperate from the shell.

My Mom told me this one, and it always works- put in 2 or 3 tbls of oil in when you boil them. Never fails.

Banned
    just soak boiled egg in cold water ,then ready to peel bash the shell in many places-not to break white-- the shells having been broken will peel off easier.

salt the water when you boil them they will peal much easier. First put the eggs in the pan with watercovering them then after the water comes to a rolling boil cook them for 7 min. then pour off water and pour cold water in the pan and let them sit for 10 min. I eat eggs all the time, cheap protine fast meal.

I let the boiled eggs cool the crack them all over and slide a small spoon under the shell.Came right off.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Fresh eggs won't shell at all, I won't even bother shelling fresh eggs. I keep dozens of eggs in my spare fridge so fresh eggs isn't an issue for me. LOL. Egss will last for months in a cold fridge no more then 34. The older the eggs, the shell will practically slip off. I shell eggs under running water and never have a problem, the shells come off usually in two halves. To prevent the green color around the yolk, the faster boiled eggs are cooled the less chance of the green color pooling around the yolk. I put the eggs fresh out of the pot into cold water. To keep the eggs from cracking, put a pin hole through the shell at one end.
    The green color comes from boiling too long. And the eggs will peel easier if quick cooled after boiling.

A woman I worked with told me to add salt to the pan of water ( I am guessing I use 2 Tbsp) I boil them 10 min and rinse with cold water, crack the shell somewhat and they peel off easy. The salt seems to help.

Blog Entries

My DGK's love to help me in the kitchen. They would love to try this but I'm not sure what the eggs will look like afterwards.

Blog Entries
    It's easy to peel fresh eggs. Put on a pot of water to boil. Set a thumbtack your counter. Tap the round part of the egg on the tack creating a small hole in the bottom of the egg. Gently drop the egg in boiling water hole up. Bubbles will come out the hole, maybe a little bit of egg white as well. After boiling time, cover with cold water to chill, drain, store in the fridge overnight, and then peel. I've got 2 dozen chickens and have no problems peeling eggs

Blog Entries

Cool! have to try!

I was taught to bring my eggs to a boil then cover and let sit off heat for 20 minutes, this way you don't get that aweful green ring around the yoke, the white is supple and not rubbery.

I'm intrigued by both the eggie https://www.geteggiestv.com/]https://www.geteggiestv.com/[/url]
    and the baking soda or salt. I just happend to buy three dozen eggs yesterday @ 99 cents per dozen so this thread is timely for sure.

Blog Entries
    Fool proof; I put plenty of salt in the water; this makes it easier to peel especially if they are young eggs I also put cider vinegar in the water this keeps the jelled close to the egg if there is a crack and it saves the egg and then I put my eggs in cold water, bring to boil, turn off and leave set for 10min. Drain; put the lid back on the pan; shake to break the shells and then run cold water. Allmost 100% of the time the shells literly fall off of the eggs and by cooking them this way you don't have that ugly green ring around your egg.

PamB8s--that is some fancy house your chickens have! Nice going!

Blog Entries
    We used to buy fresh eggs and the trick is to put plenty of salt in the water and it makes it so much easier. I already posted a thread as to how I do mine; step by step and it always works rather with new or older eggs.

I put about a table spoon of vinegar in the water when I cook them, then into cold water , after they're cooled I roll the egg in my palms to crack the shell & loosen the membrane the you shouldn't have a problem. try that.

The prettiest chicken coop I have ever seen!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3