Pet Bedding

Old 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Pet Bedding

I volunteer at the animal shelter, and thought I'd share some info about the staff's preferred bedding for the shelter animals. I know many of you make beds, and I do that too. But today one of the young ladies on staff told me what is actually helpful and works for them is the washable bed pads (I believe they are used frequently in hospitals and nursing homes).

The bed pads are absorbent but have a waterproof bottom which prevent leaks from the rest of the animal's housing area. They also do not encourage the chewing of the bedding...since I help with the laundry, I have seen several beds with the fabric chewed into, giving access to the stuffing insides...not good for the animal.

My shelter was lucky enough to receive a large donation of the pads, but wanted to pass this insight to other pet bed makers. Maybe there is a do it yourself version out there that could be made and given to your to your shelter as well.

Here's a link just for reference...I googled washable bed pads ...
https://www.amazon.com/ReliaMed-Reus...5F954WMNPPZMPP
Old 07-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Thanks. That info is very helpful
Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Thanks. That info is very helpful
I hope so...I looked up home made water resistant bedding, and there are a few kind of tutorials. One suggested using the vinyl tableclothes with flannel backing for the bottom layer. I know those go on clearance soon if not already. I might try that. I see the real bed pads they are using, and they are light blues mostly...no prints. So it would be kind of nice if I could simulate those pads with more attractive covers.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

hmmmm, gives 'paws' for thought. i've been saving all my tiny scraps to stuff a pet bed... better find a new use for them
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
hmmmm, gives 'paws' for thought. i've been saving all my tiny scraps to stuff a pet bed... better find a new use for them
I'm not sure ...I think the normal beds I make with stuffing can be used in their display area (my shelter has some windowed rooms where there are several pets together...not in separate cages. But the caged areas (sick room, quarantine) probably does better with the bed pads.

I am going to try to come up with some way of making the water resistant pads for them...hope so anyway.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:27 AM

My local shelter took the ones filled with scraps but said they would probably only be used once and tossed because they take up so much room to wash and long time to dry and not good if animals are chewing on them. Could cause lots of problems.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by eilers12634 View Post
My local shelter took the ones filled with scraps but said they would probably only be used once and tossed because they take up so much room to wash and long time to dry and not good if animals are chewing on them. Could cause lots of problems.
I saw two beds yesterday that had been chewed open...I threw one away, and a staff member said she was going to bring a sewing kit to fix the other one. She's the one who told me that the bed pads are the most useful. I think I might pick up some of those vinyl tableclothes on sale and have a go at making something similar.

You know, I am trying to help the shelter not cause more issues. It's a dilemma.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Our dog trainer recommends fleece. She doubles it and sews it but I have just been tossing a blanket sized one in our lab puppy's crate. At this point our lab puppy will eat anything including her bed and apparently regular fabric is of concern while fleece is less so. (per trainer)
Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 AM

Dont know..just passing on what shelter staff shared with me yesterday.