Pet Bedding

Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
What is your opinion of using old comforters? Cutting and maybe binding them.
My shelter director said they will not use anything with stuffing for the dogs because they chew holes in them and eat the insides. I have seen the holes and can tell a lot of the stuffing is gone (maybe eaten by the animal). The staff likes the waterproof pads for the cat crates..they can be folded for more comfort to the animal and wash up well.

But my shelter was donated several of the waterproof pads. Your shelter may not have any donated to them. That's why I am making some of the waterproof pads (or trying to anyway).

I saw one pet bed today in the shape of a tiger that has had the eyes chewed out of them. The stuffed animals are not supposed to be in the dog area.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by eilers12634 View Post
My local shelter took the ones filled with scraps but said they would probably only be used once and tossed because they take up so much room to wash and long time to dry and not good if animals are chewing on them. Could cause lots of problems.
I am surprised they took them even for one use...the dog chews them immediately, especially the quarantine dogs...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I have made two beds using the pul fabric on the bottom..will see how it works..towels take forever to dry..acrylic b!ankets or throws dry quickly.
What's throws? I have pul fabric. Would fleece or flannel work better? How many layers?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Susanna10 View Post
What's throws? I have pul fabric. Would fleece or flannel work better? How many layers?
Throws are the small acrylic rectangles about 50 x 60 inches....they dry quickly, one single layer. The staff will fold them over to thicken up if the need to. Flannel pills a lot, causing a buildup of lint in the laundry (and frays around the seams). No more than two layers sew together, ideally without stuffing. Maybe a thin layer of poly batting, quilted closeley. I think they would work with their equipment.

I just got back from the shelter as a matter of face. What they use tons of are washclothes (they use to clean the cages, and can only use once before they have to be washed). Lots of towels are used for placement in the crates, and of course the waterproof pads I spoke of earlier.

The shelter director told me today she had to get rid of those pillows/beds that have been donated and are filled with quilting fabric scraps. They are not practical for the shelter.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Throws are the small acrylic rectangles about 50 x 60 inches....they dry quickly, one single layer. The staff will fold them over to thicken up if the need to. Flannel pills a lot, causing a buildup of lint in the laundry (and frays around the seams). No more than two layers sew together, ideally without stuffing. Maybe a thin layer of poly batting, quilted closeley. I think they would work with their equipment.

I just got back from the shelter as a matter of face. What they use tons of are washclothes (they use to clean the cages, and can only use once before they have to be washed). Lots of towels are used for placement in the crates, and of course the waterproof pads I spoke of earlier.

The shelter director told me today she had to get rid of those pillows/beds that have been donated and are filled with quilting fabric scraps. They are not practical for the shelter.
I would guess we did probably washed ten or more loads of laundry today, and I still had some I couldn't get started until tomorrow a.m. The dryers (two) can't keep up.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 AM

Glad there is interest in providing some comfort to shelter animals without causing more problems..
Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 AM

GS's two big dogs loved the beds I made for them, they only got to use them when someone was home but everybody left one day and didn't put the beds out of reach. They managed to destroy one of the beds and made a huge mess. After that, I quit making them for the shelter.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
GS's two big dogs loved the beds I made for them, they only got to use them when someone was home but everybody left one day and didn't put the beds out of reach. They managed to destroy one of the beds and made a huge mess. After that, I quit making them for the shelter.
Yep, I had a bed today fall apart in the washing machine (at the shelter)...big mess and the stuffing stuck to everything in that load. That's the reality of if.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Our shelter gladly accepts any clean fabric. If it can be washed and re-used, they do. Sometimes they just use the less desirable as disposable bedding or wiping rags. I don't think the animals are that engaged by the visual esthetics--they just need a bit of comfort.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:16 AM

Absolutely..I am at the shelter daily...dishes and laundry. Have had many discussions with staff and management. They accept anything just because but in reality. Need and use laundry friendly items. The staff loves using the waterproof pads as I stated at the top of this thread...now to get ready for my day atthe shelter.