Pet Peeve on TV

Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 AM

I agree with you, and even some of our local news girls (in the Phoenix area) are wearing low cut tops also even showing clevage. What is up with that?????? I just don't understand any of it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM

I agree with all of this but my biggest pet peeve about TV is the commercials for Victoia
Secret. It is very uncomfortable to be watching something with you grandkids or husband when these come on. I change the channel but the image is already there.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Really! The female paramedics, lawyers, police, etc., etc., etc. around here don't look or dress like that.
Maybe that's what is meant by "tv is fantasy."
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 AM

If you think about it, there are very few people the entertainment industry doesnot sexualize, trivialize, stereotype or insult. There is so-called political correctness toward some groups but religious people, poor people, rural people, working people are all fair game. "Trailer Trash",for example, is currently very prevalent and extremely insulting. On a 'make-over' show the dominatrix in charge said the people at the business were "acting like hillbillies".
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 AM

I have to keep the remote handy and when my two grandsons (10 &12) come in the room I have to change the channel. When they ask why I reply they don't need to hear what is being discussed and this is prime time tv not late at night. When is the law that the commercials can't be loud going into effect and how are they going to enforce it?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM

I have to agree with all of you. I have stopped watching the news and now go on line so I don't have to look at cleavage. I was a tv junkie but now I sew without the tv
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I don't believe in showing cleavage in the day time. on t.v. or any work place. It's distracting and men have enough trouble keeping their minds on the job!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
It isn't just the low cut tops, what about the language allowed, hopping from one bed to another, feminine products and male enhancement commercials??? I am not a prude either, but I am not impressed by any of these changes.
I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Anyone seen the insurance commercial where the men keep getting kicked in the groin? Also why do shows think it is necessary to show men urinating in restrooms? (Sometimes with sound????)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Not in my house. My 12 yr old has never seen an episode of the Simpsons, Family Guy, Sex in the City, or any other of those horribly suggestive and vulgar shows. We're very strict on the type of tv that we allow to be piped into our home. However, we have been watching decent shows and had some pretty vulgar commercials come on. The "Bob" ads, the pooping yogurt asking you to keep a video diary (?), the personal shaver commercial with the running woman that the bushes trim themselves as she runs past, etc. I just make sure I don't purchase the products that advertise in that manner. I usually also emal the company and register my complaints.

As far as bullying some of it can't be controlled but if you don't allow your child to have a facebook page, twitter, cell phones, etc. it' sure cuts down on the cyber bullying.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yes, WE can avoid the trash, but unfortunately the younger generations DO watch these shows.

I recently read an article about bullying and how it's become so prevalent in our schools. Someone noted that sitcoms have changed - the comedy used to be about the person, now it's about putting someone else down. I think he's hit the nail on the head!!! Our children are watching this and learning that it's okay to put someone else down because it's considered funny. I even believe it's extended to our political system. It is nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about the issues without it devolving into name-calling!