Pharmacy Mix Up

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM

I always check the drugs and if the pills look different from the last fill up I ask. Usually it's just a different company or something but I still ask. I also ask the pharmacist when getting any prescriptions filled for DD. I once had a dr prescribe something for my stepson and when the pharmacist realized it was for a 7 yr old, he refused to fill it, got on the phone with the doctor and had the prescription changed. He said that the dosage prescribed could have been fatal to a 7 yr old.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Oh my! Im glad you checked before you took any!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I always check the drugs and if the pills look different from the last fill up I ask. Usually it's just a different company or something but I still ask. I also ask the pharmacist when getting any prescriptions filled for DD. I once had a dr prescribe something for my stepson and when the pharmacist realized it was for a 7 yr old, he refused to fill it, got on the phone with the doctor and had the prescription changed. He said that the dosage prescribed could have been fatal to a 7 yr old.
I always asked when my pills looked different than what I was used to because "you never know.." It is always a good idea to ask and to use the same pharmacy for all your drugs. My friend's MIL was going to different doctors and different pharmacies and she ended up in the hospital because of drug interactions. Of course it didn't help when she never told the doctors what she was taking. Now, her doctors cannot prescribe unless they notify all of her other doctors.
My doctor always wants me to bring the bottles of any drugs I'm taking, even the ones he prescribes!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM

The last time I took my Mother to the DR I insisted that she take a list of the meds she was taking and the dosage. My sister said "they know what she is on, they prescribed it." Turned out they did not know about 4 of the meds and some were doubles (different meds for the same condition)..Some had been prescribed by an ER Dr. I also always read the drug info each time. Sometimes this info is changed and not publicized.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM

My late husband was a bear about being accurate.

I just ran into a computer list of his meds and operations that he had written out for me to print out. He was the most highly educated man I've ever met, but was totally computer illiterate.

First was the drug name, then the common or generic name, the dosage amounts and when to take, who prescribed it and when it was started. Each one had to be like this, and when we went to a teaching hospital, (like Stanford) each doctor wanted to know everything, and nearly embraced him when he handed every one of them a copy of it. Also had operations, name of them, when preformed and where, doctor's name and his office number. He also kept copies of his blood tests and had me photocopy them.

I also do my own that way, sure does help with new doctors, and sometimes even the same doctor who ordered the test did not get a copy of it!!! So was glad when i could provide him with a copy.

Something on this line might save a lot of grief, perhaps even a life.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Glad you are careful, that could have been a bad mix up! Yes, ANYONE can make a mistake, never can be too careful!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Great advice. As a pharmacy cashier, I always encourage people to verify their meds. We have made some errors, no one is perfect. Please don't be afraid to ask questions, or look at your bottles of meds before you leave the counter, and if the cashier gets irritated, report him or her to the pharmacist. And one your side of the counter, don't get irritated if the cashier asks you questions, like DOB, address, etc. These are all checks to make sure we're all getting the meds we supposed to have. We all need to help each other.