Photographing your Quilts

Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM

I have a clothesline in my basement that I use to hang my quilts, then take a picture. Turn on all the lights and use a flash!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 PM

The ones that bug me are when the quilt is "staged" - creatively draped over a bench or with a plate sitting on top or something. Makes it hard to see the whole quilt.

I prefer to take pictures of my quilts outside on a bright, overcast day. You get the best color representation and no shadows.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM

I put mine out on the clothesline, but then that darn wind comes up out of nowhere!!.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM

My husband holds my quilt for picture taking. He is such a support with any of my ideas.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I put mine out on the clothesline, but then that darn wind comes up out of nowhere!!.
It will be in the nexty county if we aren't careful. lol
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
Everyone wants to show off their newly finished quilt or wall hanging. We all want to see it. Some of you take pictures of a quilt on a bed or on a chair. Taking a picture of a quilt on a bed doesn't allow the reader to SEE it. Oh sure we SEE the end of the bed as this is where your camera is focusing but we cannot see the quilt in it's entirety like we want to.

If someone is available to hold up your quilt for you while you take a picture ( in natural light ) think of how amazing that quilt would look compared to laying on a bed with some of the photo focused and some not ;(>

Recognizing that sometimes there is no one around to help hold up a quilt or wall hanging, you can also fasten it over a second story staircase railing. Pin it to the wall, whatever it takes to make a good photo of your quilt. Taking an extra few minutes makes a huge difference.

I prefer to photograph outside in the natural light, be aware of shadows on your quilt and wind blowing up an edge. It takes a little time and patience.

The point is to see the whole quilt face on - if you get that visual in your mind while taking the picture you will be happier and so will those who look at the photo.
Good for you!
I noticed that somebody recently posted a photo of a quilt on a bed using a flashlight that had those ultra bright bluish bulbs in them, and it worked amazingly well, showing the colors more realistically.
Why?
The filament temp. of those bulbs is higher, which is wanted for better color reproduction.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Right on! Beautiful quilts. Hope it stops with the showers as I want to take pics of two quilts outside, which will show them off at their best!
I know some of you have to wait for good weather... :( I sometimes forget that living in CA where we rarely get rain :((
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by janice4
Everyone wants to show off their newly finished quilt or wall hanging. We all want to see it. Some of you take pictures of a quilt on a bed or on a chair. Taking a picture of a quilt on a bed doesn't allow the reader to SEE it. Oh sure we SEE the end of the bed as this is where your camera is focusing but we cannot see the quilt in it's entirety like we want to.

If someone is available to hold up your quilt for you while you take a picture ( in natural light ) think of how amazing that quilt would look compared to laying on a bed with some of the photo focused and some not ;(>

Recognizing that sometimes there is no one around to help hold up a quilt or wall hanging, you can also fasten it over a second story staircase railing. Pin it to the wall, whatever it takes to make a good photo of your quilt. Taking an extra few minutes makes a huge difference.

I prefer to photograph outside in the natural light, be aware of shadows on your quilt and wind blowing up an edge. It takes a little time and patience.

The point is to see the whole quilt face on - if you get that visual in your mind while taking the picture you will be happier and so will those who look at the photo.
Good for you!
I noticed that somebody recently posted a photo of a quilt on a bed using a flashlight that had those ultra bright bluish bulbs in them, and it worked amazingly well, showing the colors more realistically.
Why?
The filament temp. of those bulbs is higher, which is wanted for better color reproduction.
That's a good idea... if you can't get outside ( due to weather )
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'm satisfied photographing mine laying on the carpet, but I wish my colors were more true to life. My reds and pinks just don't come out right. I'm curious how the purple in the next one will photograph.
are you using a flash or a higher ISO setting when taking the picture picture? also when you take a picture like that you may be focusing on the part that is closer to you. all kinds of things can happen to your colors just by doing it this way. try that hanger idea if no one is around or you cannot take it outside in bright light be sure there is enough light indoors.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
Thanks for the great advice. Hope everyone reads it and remembers when they photograph their latest creation. The photos are not just for the quilt board but also for the quilter to look at after the quilt is gifted. :)
yes, true and nice to have documentation of your quilts ;)