Photographing your Quilts

Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM

You provide some excellent advice, thank you. I love to look at the pictures of quilts, but when the picture quality is poor, I wonder "Do they realize we can't see the quilt?" I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from posting pictures, but it is a shame when they do, and their work cannot be appreciated because we can't see it!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
The ones that bug me are when the quilt is "staged" - creatively draped over a bench or with a plate sitting on top or something. Makes it hard to see the whole quilt.

I prefer to take pictures of my quilts outside on a bright, overcast day. You get the best color representation and no shadows.
I do this with mine to give the viewer a sense of dimension. I also do my best to get a full shot of the quilt. Sometimes that means stepladder while standing over the futon, sometimes it means hanging it from the moulding around my studio door. Larger quilts will require hanging from our bedroom balcony, but since it's 100*+ at 9 am around here, that's not a fun prospect.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
yes, true and nice to have documentation of your quilts ;)
This is why I started my quilting blog. I was carrying around pictures of my quilts to show my friends and family, but eventually I got too many pictures, and I couldn't show them to people who live far away. So a girlfriend and I joined forces and started a blog. I am able to document the fabrics, patterns, process, any funny things that happened along the way, and I can share it with all my friends and family, no matter how far away they are. Plus, I've made a lot of new friends because of the blog!