phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Well ya'll have made my day. I have laughed so hard about to PIMP. My SIL laughs because I call It Walmarts. He also says which one as we only have one in town. Heard who crapped in your oatmeal. Blue Chicken isn't the dunnie the toliet? The randy thing is too much. I have a BIL named Randy. Won't be able to look him in the face straight. When Valley Girl (movie) all the kids kept saying "No Du". Use to drive me crazy. Here's a Texas one. This ain't my 1st rodeo. One my mother used-I didn't just fall off the banana boat.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Well ya'll have made my day. I have laughed so hard about to PIMP. My SIL laughs because I call It Walmarts. He also says which one as we only have one in town. Heard who crapped in your oatmeal. Blue Chicken isn't the dunnie the toliet? The randy thing is too much. I have a BIL named Randy. Won't be able to look him in the face straight. When Valley Girl (movie) all the kids kept saying "No Du". Use to drive me crazy. Here's a Texas one. This ain't my 1st rodeo. One my mother used-I didn't just fall off the banana boat.
" .. about to PIMP . . . " 0kay - you are NOT going to recruit girls . . . .

I've heard "I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon"

A Florida friend uses the term "shiddabed" when he gets a bad hand while playing cards (spelling has been changed a bit)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I may be off base but I think she is talking about saying it kaaaw-fee with the accent on the first syllable. Instead of a kawfee with it being more equally pronounced with no emphasis on either. I could be wrong tho. I have heard it pronounced that way.
Thanks, Rhonda, that makes sense.

Someone else mentioned "No problem." I have "no problem" with that phrase when it's really used to me that there's no problem. What I can't stand is hwo people use it in place of "you're welcome" (in response to "thank you") when there was no problem involved. Because then it sounds like it really was a problem, say, to tell someone what time it was or compliment someone's outfit.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

The "no problem" response to "thank you" seems inappropriate to me, too.

It seems to be more common with youngsters (under 20) than older (50+) people.

I much prefer "you are welcome" or "my pleasure" or something like that.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM

I have a bad habit of saying...no worries.......
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

"have a good day" - "have a good evening" - "have a good afternoon" -

I was really hoping for a longer time frame - such as "have a good life"
"have a good forever"
Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Just read through all the posts! :shock: The English and American differences are funny - bonnet, boot etc! Worst is ' fag' - in Britain, that's slang for a cigarette, I think it means something else in the US! :shock:

Pet hate of mine - when ppl say 'literally' all the time, as in 'I literally DIED from laughing' - NO YOU DIDN'T - YOU'RE STILL ALIVE!!!!! :shock: :lol:
It used to mean a cigarette here too. The English word that I just recently learned of that is so funny to me is Gobsmacked

I can see someone getting a gob of chewed gum getting thrown in the face!! LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
"Please leave me a message ..."

Instead of "Please leave a message . . ."
When someone leaves a phone message they say "If you care..." Strange Ozarkians :-)
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I get hung up on spelling and why they are spelled that way. i was thinking coffee is pronounced here cough-fee. So I thought why is cough spelled that way when it is pronounced kawf I'm sure it has to do with the language it came from. Our english incorporates all kinds of other languages into ours. Our language here is as much a melting pot as our population is.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

When I was a kid my grandparents had a farm that bordered a crick or a run off of the skunk river.

I used to get lectures from my grandpa on things he thought important! LOL We would spend alot of time at the crick fishing. I learned to swim there. Well grandpa made a point of explaining to us kids that it was a crick and not a creek! A river runs off into a creek and then a crick is a smaller run off of the creek.
He was very particular what you called it!! But most people use them interchangably.