phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
dilly-dally

meant to dawdle, take more time than necessary, goof off

My mother uses that one a lot.

Come to think about it, DAWDLE is a strange word too, like, where the heck does that come from?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
A neighbor was coming over for dessert and asked me to "put up coffee". HUH?

Well I can understand 'put on the coffee'...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jojo47
Originally Posted by Debra Mc
A person I use to slave for always sais Fiddle dick around.
I still hear that one used on occasion...

Here's another...I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail. (It was a favorite of my mom's when one of us needed her in a hurry (or so we thought).

I heard it as "In two shakes of a DEAD lamb's tail" - never made much sense to me unless one never planned on doing whatever - - -
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM

having lived in several states its fun to figure out and pick up local dialects :)
in "bama" you dont "push" a button, you "mash" it. my DH had the funniest conversation with a man when his engine would not "krunk".
"yall" "all yall" "fixin to" among others we adopted :)

the worst I have been made fun of is for "aint" I use so many double negatives! my double negatives have double negatives! my husband gets so fed up that he cant understand me, and we grew up in the same state!

"Aint never gonna" "aint neither"
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Lickety split- meaning fast! Get over here lickety split! (have no idea how that came to be!) He went lickety split down the stairs and out the back door!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

My neighbor used to "put up jam" or anything that she canned lol
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

we still do "put up jam or corn or whatever" I think it is a term that started with putting up hay. The hay was hauled to the second floor of the barn with a conveyor if you had one or by one person throwing the bales up to another person on the second floor hence "putting up" so it became a term for any storing of provisions on the farm. i was never strong enough to lift the 50 pound bales of hay. I do remember riding on the wagon and moving bales back out of the way. so I have done alot of putting up(canning) in my growing up years and some when my kids were growing up. Mom and I were putting up tomato juice until about 4 yrs ago I decided I didn't have time to do all that canning anymore. My daughter does it now.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I had never heard it for hay, out here it is "get the hay in" or "it's haying season" which covers it all... and I have hefted many a bale, too LOL
Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

skedaddle - move quickly

It was always cause for celebration when one managed to get the hay in without it getting rained on.

My step-dad was really big on "men's work" and "women's work" - the only time I drove (basically just steered ) the tractor - an old Allis Chalmers that had a clutch - was to pull the wagon when they loaded bales. How **** was that? An inexperienced driver pulling a wagon on hilly land.

Was hay ever stacked like straw?

I remember (vaguely) sort of helping shock corn - and shocking grain.

There was a big stack - sort of rectangular - that had corn stalks in it - I think the corn was picked first - and I remember the men trying to pry corn stalks off it when it was frozen. This was thrown to the cows in the cow yard which was nearby.

We didn't have a silo.

Anyone remember threshing?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

My DGD Rachel(7) and DGS Devon(6) were discussing slopping hogs the other day! LOL something they heard on tv about slop. So I asked do you know what slop is? and no they didn't. Rachel thought it had something to do with cows but she wasn't sure! Do you know?

Here it was what ever was leftover in the kitchen apple peelings table scraps etc went into the slop bucket and that was carried out after supper everyday and thrown over the fence to the hogs in the barnyard. Especially corn cobs when we canned corn.

My FIL one time went to throw a corn cob (still had corn on it) into the barnyard hit a sow on the snout and she fell down dead. they said she died of fright! We had pork in the freezer after that!