phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau

The German word for wash is wasch pronounced Vahsh - waschtag means washday. I have a sign hanging on the wall going down to the basement:

Mag die Hausfrau
Sonnenschein
haben an jedem
Waschtag.

May the housewife have sunshine on her washday. Isn't that sweet? Edie (again)
The laundry = die Waesche
to launder or wash = waschen

When I was little, my Mom had to take the laundry to the town's laundry facility. We were assigned a day and a time. I still remember the big tubs that were heated by wood fire and the old-fashioned wringers. Since this was before dryers, a sunny day to get the stuff dried was indeed a blessing.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM

This one gets me. Babydaddy instead of my baby's daddy. Rhonda, you aren't a dumb hick. I know lots of real smart folks that are called hicks or rednecks.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Debra I don't consider myself a hick but it is a stereotype.

It just irks me to hear Iowa refered to as the back of beyond on TV. Whenever they need a state to refer to with disgust it is always Iowa. "What do you want me to do go bury myself in Iowa or something?" I hate those comments.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM

I thought all the rednecks & hicks were in Texas & the deep South. Never thought of Iowa that way. Just corn. We have a saying around here" they are so trashey that they are from back of the trailer park & if really bad, under neath it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I thought all the rednecks & hicks were in Texas & the deep South. Never thought of Iowa that way. Just corn. We have a saying around here" they are so trashey that they are from back of the trailer park & if really bad, under neath it.
Here they call them Trailer Trash. But we lived in a trailer park for a year and you meet all kinds of people who live there. Some good and some bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM

While we were living in Nebraska our daughter was dating a guy from Californa. When he came to visit he said he was visiting the hicks in the sticks. My question is if we were such hicks why was he dating our daughter? Thankfully she didn't marry him. We have a wonderful SIL that appreciates our heritage. AND, DH & I are both from Iowa.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
A phrase I use all the time is Holler when you're ready or Holler if you need me. I don't think anything of it til I wrote it on the board and I thought boy they must really think I am a hick! Ok A hick who lives in the sticks!! someone who is backwards(doesn't know much) and lives out in the far back regions and doesn't have much contact with the civilized world! Iowa has this stigma that everyone who lives in Iowa is a hick. No brains and no manners.

Another version of the holler is-- It's just a hoot and a holler away.
I love Iowa. We have family in the Amana Colonies (going back to the 1800's. I wish I could remember some of the sayings about Minnesota from Iowa and vicey versy. They are priceless. Our favorite though came from Iowa - Iowa - A State of Mind!!!!! If you can remember any of them could you let me know. The jawing back and forth was so funny!

I just got out my handy-dandy little atlas and found you are in the southern part of Iowa. I hope you didn't get blasted like we did! Our relatives in Cedar Rapids said they got it pretty good - around 11".

All of our state is just joking with Iowa with the jokes. It is just too bad they are all true!!!!! Just joking! Edie
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 AM

My sister in Menomonie got 11", my sister in Danbury got 3". Go figure. We got 5", which isn't a whole heckuva lot, but for the first time out, drivers were nutso. Plus we had 40 mph winds and believe it or not, my friend and I were out on I94 going to a Christmas show in Minneapolis. We had all of I94 to ourselves from St. Paul to Minneapolis. Got a parking spot right away (2 blocks away) and the jazz club was absolutely packed to Standing Room Only. We got out of there and the wind was so that it caked on my glasses and I couldn't see anything. We got back onto I-94 and no one was on the freeway. Made it from downtown Minneapolis to our home in 15 minutes. I was so glad to get home.

But here in the Upper Midwest drivers are for the birds. They have to either kill themselves or be in a horrendous wreck before they realize they are not driving in the summer anymore. It is bizarre how they drive. We must have had hundreds of accidents. My husband and I had to go out on 35 yesterday and we saw six car accidents in about a 10 mile stretch. Stupid idiots. Me? I stick to the side roads. All winter long, I stick to the side roads, and all summer long I stick to the side roads. I feel a lot safer that way! Heck I can only go 30 mph. My husband and I were sent to the hospital last summer on Hwy 61 when an 18 wheeler semi didn't see us, drove into the lane we were in and hooked us onto his front wheel well and dragged us for about 1/2 block. "I didn't see them." Totaled out our 1992 Honda Accord LX two-door which is a collector car. It had 198,682 miles on it and we were looking forward to it turning 200,000 miles. So, I just stay on the side roads. Where am I going anyhow? Grocery store, library, JoAnn Fab or Hancock Fab and probably the drugstore. I can get in the car, close my eyes and the car knows exactly where to go. Is your car like that? I make the circle. Start out at Point A and hit each place in the order of the circle and go home.

I am rambling. Have a nice day. Get out there and shovel. We had a snow angel last night. She (a doctor neighbor/friend next door) shoveled our sidewalk and carriage walk and I told her I would get the windrow when the snow plow comes by. Edie
Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

"Don't that take the cake"

"That's the way the cookie crumbles"
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. It took me a long time to figure out what "sixaone" was. lol