phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
skedaddle - move quickly

It was always cause for celebration when one managed to get the hay in without it getting rained on.

My step-dad was really big on "men's work" and "women's work" - the only time I drove (basically just steered ) the tractor - an old Allis Chalmers that had a clutch - was to pull the wagon when they loaded bales. How **** was that? An inexperienced driver pulling a wagon on hilly land.

Was hay ever stacked like straw?

I remember (vaguely) sort of helping shock corn - and shocking grain.

There was a big stack - sort of rectangular - that had corn stalks in it - I think the corn was picked first - and I remember the men trying to pry corn stalks off it when it was frozen. This was thrown to the cows in the cow yard which was nearby.

We didn't have a silo.

Anyone remember threshing?
I still use 'skedaddle' on occasion.

I have vague memories of shocks in the field when I was a little girl, and my mom used to tell my own kids about the threshing crew coming down the road and there was still plenty of time to get a meal together because the outfit moved so slowly (I think she told me one time those old Oil Pulls moved about 2 to 5 mph).
Old 12-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

JoJo I use skedaddle some but I use Scoot to Boot more often. It means move! Don't know where I got it but I have used it for years. Skedaddle I've heard in the old westerns. It brings to mind the old miners leading a burro.
Gabby Hayes used to say Skeeeeedaddle out of here now ya hear?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Anyone remember George Carlin's routine about the Seven Words That Can't be Said on TV

What a hoot!

Context matters!!!!!!

How about "dumber than a doorknob"
Old 12-05-2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
JoJo I use skedaddle some but I use Scoot to Boot more often. It means move! Don't know where I got it but I have used it for years. Skedaddle I've heard in the old westerns. It brings to mind the old miners leading a burro.
Gabby Hayes used to say Skeeeeedaddle out of here now ya hear?
:lol: I remember Gabby Hayes, fuzzy beard and all! (I think we're dating ourselves here, Rhonda!) I've used 'scoot' but 'scoot to boot' is new to me.

This threat is so much fun I have to check in a couple of times a day to see the comments everyone comes with!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:48 AM

I think my favorite is "Never empty handed to the kitchen go." That is my mother's saying from the time I was a kid. I'm 71. She is still telling me that!!!!! She's 93.

So, when I have to go into the basement to get something, I always have something on the kitchen table to take down with me. Makes sense, right? I do it! Get the stuff put away in the basement and then stand there like I lost my noodles because now I don't remember why I was going down there in the first place. Don't tell me to write a note - I'd lose it! So then I have to come back upstairs, retrace my steps and stand there and think "Why did I have to go into the basement?" Eureka!~ I remember, so I gingerly bounce down the basement stairs saying "Toilet paper - toilet paper, toilet paper. That's how I remember - all from Never Empty Handed to the Kitchen Go!!!!!

Edie
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
I think my favorite is "Never empty handed to the kitchen go." That is my mother's saying from the time I was a kid. I'm 71. She is still telling me that!!!!! She's 93.

So, when I have to go into the basement to get something, I always have something on the kitchen table to take down with me. Makes sense, right? I do it! Get the stuff put away in the basement and then stand there like I lost my noodles because now I don't remember why I was going down there in the first place. Don't tell me to write a note - I'd lose it! So then I have to come back upstairs, retrace my steps and stand there and think "Why did I have to go into the basement?" Eureka!~ I remember, so I gingerly bounce down the basement stairs saying "Toilet paper - toilet paper, toilet paper. That's how I remember - all from Never Empty Handed to the Kitchen Go!!!!!

Edie
LOL, Edie! I'm glad I'm not the only person who forgets what she's gone to get...I'm in good company!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

My son, who is "only" 45, works as a construction manager, and he's frequently saying "don't go empty-handed" to members of his crew (and family members, too)

I do that "why am I here - what was I going to do" thing, too.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

To try to remember what I am going to the store for I number the items. I have eggs milk bread ok 3 things then when I get to the store I remember eggs and milk and then go what was number three what was that one???? Sometimes I have to call home and ask my mom if it was her list I was filling! LOL I try to write things down but I usually lose it. or forget to pick it up in the first place!

I find if I write them down tho I am more likely to remember them. I also tell DH so he can help me remember. This is asking a guy who has a memory disorder and can't tell you what he had for breakfast today to remember my list!! LOL But sometimes he remembers and jogs my memory! He is a terrible nag too when he wants to make sure we don't forget! He'll tell me over and over from time to time!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 AM

We call it a hotdish! Edie
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM

We call it potluck!

DH & I grew up 40 miles from each other, But! He grew up on a farm and I'm a city girl. I still shake my head at some of his expressions. His frequent sayings include:

Dumber than a box of rocks

Best thing since sliced bread

Older than dirt

he looks like 9 miles of bad road

rode hard and put away wet

Let's do something even if it's wrong