phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by gaigai
I have relatives who still use chamber pots. They live in a very old farmhouse that doesn't have any upstairs bathroom, and only one downstairs off the master bedroom. So a guest needs to use a chamber pot, especially if they are elderly and don't do stairs too well. I chose to stay with other relatives at night! :shock: :roll:
People actually visit them?! :shock: I am a 100% indoor plumbing kind of girl.
Years ago I had a girlfriend visit and she slept in our guestroom upstairs...and at the time we DID live in a really old farmhouse!...I kiddingly said "There's the bathroom in case you need it tonight." (Our bathroom was downstairs off the kitchen.) I didn't discover it until a couple of days later, but she had actually used the chamber pot! Talk about opening mouth and inserting foot...yep, I still laugh at that these many years later!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
When I was a kid my dad had some honorary grandparents who had only an outhouse. My mom says she potty trained me when they only had an outhouse. Can you imagine?

My grandparents had one we used when we were playing outside. They still use them at the parks here in Iowa. Tho alot of them now have regular toilet seats instead of just the holes.So do and some don't. My grandson Joey refused to use it when he was about 4. It is dark down in the hole and if he couldn't see down there he wasn't sitting on that hole!! LOL

Sounds familiar, Rhonda. My folks always made sure we went before we headed to my dad's boyhood home in NW Iowa, which is only about an hour from where I grew up, but there was still the inevitable "Are we there yet?" and "I gotta go!"
When my kids were little nobody was open on Sundays so when we made the 1 1/2 hour trip to the inlaws we had to know where all the parks were and they only had outhouses then. Of course we never made the trip without having to stop a couple of times both going up and back.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 AM

[quote=Rhonda]When I was a kid my dad had some honorary grandparents who had only an outhouse. My mom says she potty trained me when they only had an outhouse. Can you imagine?

My grandparents had one we used when we were playing outside. They still use them at the parks here in Iowa. Tho alot of them now have regular toilet seats instead of just the holes.So do and some don't. My grandson Joey refused to use it when he was about 4. It is dark down in the hole and if he couldn't see down there he wasn't sitting on that hole!! LOL :

Somehow that last one got mixed up. Hope I can straighten it out. Here goes:

When we would make the Sunday trip to my Dad's boyhood home in NW Iowa, my parents would make sure we had all 'done our duty', so to speak, but they still heard the inevitable "Are we there yet?" and "I gotta go!" Sometimes that 65 mile drive seemed to take forever!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM

When I was growing up my grandparents had chamber pots for each bedroom, but Grandpa had a Thunder Jug also. I think that is quite self-explanatory so I won't go into it, the definition I mean!!!!!

All of the chamber pots had designs on them, cute little handles on the top lid. The Thunder Jugs, however, were a different thing. They were a tan-ny color, no design, actually, I don't think Grandpa even had a lid for his, but he did have a metal handle to carry it with with the wood hand grip.

I never did like outhouses - thought something would grab me and haul me away. So, I would hide behind the outhouse (excuse me here please, no nicer way to put it -- than) drop the drawers and squat. I nested in a garden of Nettles. I shoulda used the outhouse. Don't ever get Nettles.

Just got back from grocery shopping - it is snowing out! I'm not ready for it (actually, I am never ready for snow) but now I have food in the house for us and we are all tucked in for the short term.

Edie
Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 AM

Was curious about the Brick House lyrics. Looked it up both the regular & explicit version. There is nothing bad in either one. So if you are built like a brick house you got it going on. 36-24-36. Man, I wish I was a brick house & not the barn.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

dilly-dally

meant to dawdle, take more time than necessary, goof off
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM

A person I use to slave for always sais Fiddle dick around.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
A person I use to slave for always sais Fiddle dick around.
I still hear that one used on occasion...

Here's another...I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail. (It was a favorite of my mom's when one of us needed her in a hurry (or so we thought).
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Ok thought of two more. Here in Pa Hamberger is many times Hamburg. And baby talk makes me nuts. Instead of "all gone" they say "it is all" or "all-ey all"
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

A neighbor was coming over for dessert and asked me to "put up coffee". HUH?