phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
I was listening to an audio book this AM and heard the word "dew-lap"! Sounds nice doesn't it? Something about dew being lapped up! Ha! It's that fat thing the jiggles around under your chin!

Edie
I thought a dewlap was the extra fold of skin under the chin of a doe rabbit.
a fold of loose skin hanging from the neck or throat of an animal or bird, especially that present in cattle
Old 12-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Loretta, you cannot imagine how it felt!! Full of ice on the seat OMG lol!! Thank God for central heating too!! :lol:
Chamber pots were almost as cold in an unheated upstairs room as was a trip to the little house out back!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

chamber pots was what I was trying to remember! So people wouldn't have to go outside - - -

Once upon a time people had tall beds and this pot was kept under it.

And all the euphemisms and slang used for elimination.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

I have relatives who still use chamber pots. They live in a very old farmhouse that doesn't have any upstairs bathroom, and only one downstairs off the master bedroom. So a guest needs to use a chamber pot, especially if they are elderly and don't do stairs too well. I chose to stay with other relatives at night! :shock: :roll:
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by jojo47
LOL, bear! The brick ----house was/is a favorite of one of my brothers to describe anything huge!
I remember hearing a DJ on the radio explain that the pause between "brick" and "house" in the Commodores(?) song Brick House was because that middle word had to be edited out. LOL, for years I'd thought they paused to keep the rhythm! (Some of us are just too innocent!)
LMBO I would never have put that together either!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Originally Posted by bearisgray
"have a good day" - "have a good evening" - "have a good afternoon" -

I was really hoping for a longer time frame - such as "have a good life"
"have a good forever"
LMBO I will use this on the next clerk who says it to me :wink:
I went out to dinner tonight...ofcourse when I went to pay the cashier...he said "have a nice day" So I said "I would rather have a good forever" He stared, stammered :shock: :oops: and I told him to "Have a good forever" and walked out the door LMBO
I think I am going to have to much fun with this one :D :D :D
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I have relatives who still use chamber pots. They live in a very old farmhouse that doesn't have any upstairs bathroom, and only one downstairs off the master bedroom. So a guest needs to use a chamber pot, especially if they are elderly and don't do stairs too well. I chose to stay with other relatives at night! :shock: :roll:
People actually visit them?! :shock: I am a 100% indoor plumbing kind of girl.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

When I was a kid my dad had some honorary grandparents who had only an outhouse. My mom says she potty trained me when they only had an outhouse. Can you imagine?

My grandparents had one we used when we were playing outside. They still use them at the parks here in Iowa. Tho alot of them now have regular toilet seats instead of just the holes.So do and some don't. My grandson Joey refused to use it when he was about 4. It is dark down in the hole and if he couldn't see down there he wasn't sitting on that hole!! LOL

When my kids were little nobody was open on Sundays so when we made the 1 1/2 hour trip to the inlaws we had to know where all the parks were and they only had outhouses then. Of course we never made the trip without having to stop a couple of times both going up and back.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 PM

DH and I have been reading this thread and we both have really enjoyed it!! The one with the lady in sears had me rollong...had to bump up my oxygen flow so I could catch my breath. We decided we had to post some of FIL's sayings. I have bee with dh for 13yrs and he can still say some I have never heard. I will clen them up as much as possible, but you can guess what I'm trying to say.

Examples:

I wish I had his __ and they had a feather up there butt. Then we'd both be tickled.

Bird crapped on a fence post and the sun hatched you out.

Hard to drain the swamp when you're up to your butt in alligators.

Crotch frogs (fart)

There are lots more...normally dh just spews them out. Do you think he can come up with any right now?? NOT!!

DH's pet peeve The city of Norfolk, NE....it is NOR-FOLK not NOR FORK!! It is CARE-A-MEL, not CARMEL...there is an A in the spelling. Even makes a point to point it out on the package!!

My pet peeve is using the word "good" and "well" incorectly.

It should be..you did a good job or you did well. I can;t stand it when someone says..I did good in response to you asking how they did on something. I corrct dh on it all the time. Oh, and a lot is two words!! OK..done for now. I rellay enjoyed this thread.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 AM

Dh said one last nite I forgot. Shaking like a dog trying to sh_t a peach seed. This just keeps on getting better & better.