phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Mel, I love it. The grammar bitch. That is priceless. My dad was so strict about us using proper grammar. If you said ain't you were in trouble. People will say "ain't got no." It drives me crazy. I'm with you. Mousey you have so many post you must not have anything to do so come to Texas & help me cook. We are mouse friendly here.
Me and hubby...
OR
hubby and I, lol....see, toldja he done rubbed off:wink:
have sat here for the past two nights,...me, just a readin' and both of us laughing and crying, all at the same time!
I would read some, we would 'bout p ourselves, and occasionally I would post...didn't expect to see so many posts, back to back at the end, but, oh well,...was funny to see what I had to say...yup, sometimes I forget what I responded with...and then crack myself up! :lol:
Mouse-friendly? my kind of ppl! :wink:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

well, here we are, at the end and I turned to hubby,...
oh, he's just yonder, past the big oak, you know the one, where upshaw's house is...
anywhoo...:wink:
I say to hubby: you and me have so many of these sayings and others in our speech, that we can't think of any bc they are normal to us.
We just don't notice them, but somebody else would.
But, and yes, I know, I probably shouldn't start sentences with the word 'but'...but I do. I just can't help it.
Now...there's the sayings, or phrases...and then there's enunciation, or intonation, inflection.
I can take the most eloquently written sentence and murder it with the way I speak:
I just can't help it.
becomes: "Ah, just kaint heeelp it!"
This has been a very fun thread...and it will be so interesting if all of us ever get together in one place! :XD:
p.s. I meant in person...we are all together here...
or, some of us are, LOL! :shock: - :lol:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
well, Mad you took him serious, when he poked fun atcha...didn'tcha?:mrgreen:
lol, I throw him some choice expressions of my own. Unfortunately, none of them can be written here, or I would have to interject quite a few [expletive deletes].
Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
In rural south the phrase 'fixing to' is used in place of going to ...
How Long Have You Lived in the South?

1. "I'm about to ..." or "I'm going to ..." [you just got here yesterday.]
2. "I'm fixing to ...": [you've been here 6 months to a year]
3. "I'm fixin' to ...": [you've been here 'round 2 years.]
4. "I'm fittin' to ...": [you've been here 'round about 10 or 20 years and it's been waaaaaaaaaay too long since you've visited home or read a book.]
5. "I'm fin to ...": [you were born here and read occasionally. you wear shoes to work and church only. you wear flip-flops everywhere else that demands footwear.]
6. "I'm finna ...": [you were born here, never read, and don't own a pair of shoes. it's sparkly flip-flops for church and regler fer every other place that hangs a sign sayin' you gotta have shoes on. or you're a politician.]
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
In rural south the phrase 'fixing to' is used in place of going to ...
How Long Have You Lived in the South?

1. "I'm about to ..." or "I'm going to ..." [you just got here yesterday.]
2. "I'm fixing to ...": [you've been here 6 months to a year]
3. "I'm fixin' to ...": [you've been here 'round 2 years.]
4. "I'm fittin' to ...": [you've been here 'round about 10 or 20 years and it's been waaaaaaaaaay too long since you've visited home or read a book.]
5. "I'm fin to ...": [you were born here and read occasionally. you wear shoes to work and church only. you wear flip-flops everywhere else that demands footwear.]
6. "I'm finna ...": [you were born here, never read, and don't own a pair of shoes. it's sparkly flip-flops for church and regler fer every other place that hangs a sign sayin' you gotta have shoes on. or you're a politician.]
LOL! ok, now that we've all been pegged, lol...just look at the feet.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

How about "fit to be tied" Not sure where that originated.

and then my personal favorite: Pardon my French, but that is bullsh** [or some other cursed expression]. Shouldn't it be Pardon my French, but that is merde de BauBull??????
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
my DH says, "chimley", for chimney. um, no, sweetie...I never heard of a chimley.
My friend's father, growing up used to say chimley. Is your hubby from the Hudson Valley? I haven't heard that word in 40 years!
Mid florida. Not sure where hudson valley is. I don't know if everyone in his family says it, or if it was common to that area, but he has been using it for the almost 35 years I have know him.
He has even told me the difference between a chimley and a chimney before, but I don't quite recall what he said. Something about smokestacks and brick fixtures, etc.:roll:
Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ok the worst phrase ever, "It's not you, It's me" BS!!!!
does this have to do with backing out of things, k?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
How about "fit to be tied" Not sure where that originated.

and then my personal favorite: Pardon my French, but that is bullsh** [or some other cursed expression]. Shouldn't it be Pardon my French, but that is merde de BauBull??????

LOL...Mad, that would make more sense!!!:lol:
Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
They used to tie up people considered deranged or out of control. Think that might be the connection?
that's just sad! I guess there were a lot of ppl holding in their road rage back then...
hmmm, maybe it wasn't sooo bad.
they probably let them go when they calmed down...
or chewed through the ropes:shock: