phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-01-2009, 01:14 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Just caught up with this - very funny and interesting! K I love the big oak tree story; reminds me of when I lived briefly in Southern Ireland and ppl would say when giving directions things like 'turn right past Micheal O'Leary's house'! Who the ... is Micheal O'Leary, 'oh, you know yer man (!) - lives up the lane from Paddy Reilly'! aaarrrghhhh!!!

The 'so he did' on the end of everything is also typical Irish.

My 'bad' (one of them!) is saying 'I was sat' instead of 'I was sitting' - that's Northern English and I HATE it but can't seem to stop it! :shock: :lol:
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yes you've got that right! We also say things like 'ooh, it's a bit chilly!' when actually it's cold enough to freeze the you-know-what's off a brass monkey! :lol:

And with regards to our famous weather, in Yorkshire they'll say 'it's a fine, soft evening' when actually it's chucking down with rain. In Ireland they say (this might be an urban myth because i never actually heard an Irish person say it!) 'there's not a lot of wind outside but what there is, is blowing awful hard'! Also when you ask for directions, they are reputed to say 'oh, I wouldn't set off from here' :shock:
Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

And Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park - when the T-rex was coming he said 'I'm a little alarmed here!' - he's American, isn't he? :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 AM

Does anyone else have a brain/ear attack when the young sing/rap their songs and say "chew" for the word "you"? Oh it hurts by brain that those who cann't speak get paid well then turn it around and blow the cash on something stupid...like drugs and alcohol
Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
what will they do when the tree dies?
Around here, for at least 10 years they would still say, "By the big oak tree." After it had been dead about 10 years, they would start to say, "Where the big oak tree used to be."

We have "red bridge" which has not been red in at least 18 years. I know because my husband kept getting lost looking for a red bridge to turn at. I finally showed him the bridge and he was mad as an old wet hen because it is a plain silver/rusty bridge.

People here are very bad about giving directions assuming you know where everyone used to live. I have owned my house for 17 years and it is still referred to as "Glenn Frame's old house". Four families have owned it since Glenn Frame!!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

He might be, but the movie is English isn't it? I know lots of people involved with it were English. Who was the old man- I think he helped Princess Di in real life improve her speech.
I think you mean Sir Richard Attenborough, brother of Sir David, a great British naturalist; we were watching a show of his last night about the sea life in Antarctica - brilliant! :-D
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
Does anyone else have a brain/ear attack when the young sing/rap their songs and say "chew" for the word "you"? Oh it hurts by brain that those who cann't speak get paid well then turn it around and blow the cash on something stupid...like drugs and alcohol
Yes!!!!! :shock: I agree entirely! :-D
Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned

Kwhite I had to LOL when I read about the oak tree. When Gramps was still alive we went to Ohio every year, and we would drive out to the country town where he was from. Now this is all farm country, corn and soybeans, and we only went once a year. Not always from the same direction, and the same person wasn't always the driver. So, Grandpa and I are in the car going to see a particular cousin, and he says "Turn at the rail road tracks". So I'm driving along, and there are little unmarked county roads all over the place. We go over a very small rise in the road, and Grandpa starts yelling "I told you to turn at the RR tracks".
"But Grandpa, there AREN'T any RR tracks".
"Well there used to be!"

The little rise was an old elevated rail line. That had been removed around the time I was in junior high!! He just assumed that since HE knew all the local landmarks, I would too! Mom and I still laugh whenever we go over that "RR track".

And the town he was from was North Creek. I never heard it pronounced by any of the family any way but "Crick" for "Creek". To this day I say it that way too!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

"I axed him" for "I asked him"
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

gaigai, I asked my grandmother why she said "crick" and she said it was Pennsylvania Dutch.
I asked Hans what's Dutch for 'creek' and he said 'kreek' but it is pronounced more like 'krick'! :-D