butter my butt and call me a biscuit

Translation: I'm shocked.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

sky blue pink

still don't know exactly what that means
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

I'm just getting here so if I repeat I'm sorry. Didn't read the middle pages.

I am in SE Iowa and I hear the already after sentences all the time already!! LOL Haven't you heard the phrase All right all right already!!( disgust)

My mother in law calls a recipe a reciept. That is a previous generation's version.

My husband says it's raining like the gits. He spent time in Missouri in the hills with an aunt and uncle when he was a kid.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

rhubarb was "pie plant"

a frying pan was a "spider"
Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM

My Husband came in the house and said he was going to "red up" the living room. I told him he was NOT going to paint anything red in my house. Then he tells me it means "clean up" round here. New one on me. And the road is called Macadam.

This is a bit diffrent but it will show you where I live. I was going to work and the announcer came on the radio and said that Ferguson Valley road was closed at the big oak tree. I went to work in the courthouse and said to my co-workers, "please tell me there s a business on Ferguson Valley Road called the big oak tree!" NOPE it is really a tree and everyone in the county knows where it is. And don't try to get directions unless you know where the tree got hit by lightning in 72 or where Yogi wrecked his truck in 86 or where Joe's fruit farm was in 82, cause if you don't know things like this you will never get there.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
And a camera was a Kodak
or a Brownie
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 PM

As God as my witness it is true!!! I tell my husband he came home I went to Pluto.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM

The tree was sawed down by PennDot and they put up wodden crosses and held memorials. Seriously. I can't make this stuff up.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
My Husband came in the house and said he was going to "red up" the living room. I told him he was NOT going to paint anything red in my house. Then he tells me it means "clean up" round here. New one on me. And the road is called Macadam.

This is a bit diffrent but it will show you where I live. I was going to work and the announcer came on the radio and said that Ferguson Valley road was closed at the big oak tree. I went to work in the courthouse and said to my co-workers, "please tell me there s a business on Ferguson Valley Road called the big oak tree!" NOPE it is really a tree and everyone in the county knows where it is. And don't try to get directions unless you know where the tree got hit by lightning in 72 or where Yogi wrecked his truck in 86 or where Joe's fruit farm was in 82, cause if you don't know things like this you will never get there.
We do that alot here in SE Iowa too. I find myself doing it. I was telling my DH where someone lived and it was in Old Doc's house. Never mind they haven't lived there in 25 years!

When you go to my grandfather's it is turn at Brazeal's corner. or someone will tell you to go by Four Corners. Now mind there are 3 differant country crossroads called this in 3 differant counties that are within 15 mins of us.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 PM

I had to skip a couple of pages, but these are so funny. I'm from Alabama, but traveled with ex & my two children in 60's, 70's & 80's. Some of these sayings I've heard, but some I haven't. I'm quite guilty of mocking other people, especially my grandson. I think he does it to make me correct him, just to see my reaction. He drives me "nuts" (I think that's colloquial) when he chops his words off, too. Going is more like go'n, but he rolls it. I'm go'n to the store. I picked up "alright, already" when it should be "that's enough" from someone along our travels, but can't remember who or where. People in the South tell me I sound like I'm from the West Coast. I guess when you travel you pick up different accents, and end up sounding a bit different than some other people in different areas.

Once I was talking to a lady from New York on the telephone & I couldn't tell you when she stopped one sentence & started another, she talked so fast. I had to ask her to slow down as my brain couldn't absorb what she was trying to ask or tell me. A simple three minute conversation turned into 10 minutes because she sounded like she was on the drug "speed". All these idiosyncrasies make us unique Americans or unique British, or whatever Country we're from. Differences make the world go around, that's my take on this subject.