in a pickle

Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Nana20010 -- I was a cub scoutmaster for about 5 years. It cost a lot of money for all the pins and awards the boys earned, expected, and received at monthly pack meetings and activities. No one wanted to just pony up X dollars for the year's activities, so fundraising was a necessary evil and was generally well accepted by the community even if it was a pain in the butt for the parents. Most people figure the product is worth about 50% of its price, and the rest is a donation. Some parents seemed to think it was all free for their special son. It was a thankless job, much like herding cats. It would seem to be a miscommunication for one child to have to sell $325 worth of product. Perhaps that was for his whole den. In any case, it sounds like a chat with the den leader or cub scoutmaster is in order so that there are no hard feelings.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by nana20010
hi i have a grandson in the bears scotwho is selling popcorn and the dean leader says they have to sell 325.00 in pop cornor it comes out of there pocket is there any den leaders out there and can they do this i thought these thing were to teach our kids resopibelt not how to be monny hungery

thanks for listing to a old women
As a former campfire leader, I can tell you this is not only illegal, but unethical. You are not allowed to force children to sell anything! Child labor laws in every state forbid it!!!!!! Children selling for fund raisers are STRICTLY VOLUNTEER! Call The FTC and lodge a complaint!
I think maybe I reacted a little militantly to this thread. I am sorry, I have some serious issues with forced child labor, from my past. I ask you to ignore my statement. All the other statements that I just went back and read them again, make more sense. :oops:
Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

This is wrong and very threatening. Call your local scout headquarters and let them know what is being done.