Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pics from St. Louis to Milwaukee.....USA >

Pics from St. Louis to Milwaukee.....USA

Pics from St. Louis to Milwaukee.....USA

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM

On the subject of snow/weather challenges...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-4...er-of?s=mobile

A group of pics from St. Louis to Milwaukee
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM

How terrible!! Can't you imagine being stuck in such a place with a couple of crying kids who are hungry, cold and have to go to the bathroom!!!! Most of us give lip service to the idea of having emergency supplies in our cars, but very few i've spoken to actually do such things. I wonder how they got those folks out of the cars, if at all, and how long the gridlock lasted.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM

This has been a nightmare even down into Texas.
I had the luxury of being able to stay in, and just went out with the dog.
Even the Hiway Patrol were sliding into ditches when they went to direct traffic around multi-car pileups or rollovers.
We just don't have the equipment here to do much about it. They have even brought in plows and trucks from Amarillo to help out around Dallas. I don't even know anyone who owns a snow shovel, here. Normally, we don't need them.
To have been stranded on Lakeshore in Chicago like those folks were would have been horrible. I just can't imagine the horror of being stranded like that with kids. Terrifying, to say the least.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM

I am born and raised Californian and I can't even imagine living in that type of weather!

It was 79 degrees when my daughter and I were out at lunch today. I carry a 72-hour emergency backpack plus another 3 day supply of MREs and water in my SUV. I took it in for repairs to the dealership my daughter works at today and got a loaner but I still grabbed the backpack out of my SUV and put it in the car.

The most likely thing in CA is an earthquake and if I'm on the road when it happens, it might take a long time to get home.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I am born and raised Californian and I can't even imagine living in that type of weather!

It was 79 degrees when my daughter and I were out at lunch today. I carry a 72-hour emergency backpack plus another 3 day supply of MREs and water in my SUV. I took it in for repairs to the dealership my daughter works at today and got a loaner but I still grabbed the backpack out of my SUV and put it in the car.

The most likely thing in CA is an earthquake and if I'm on the road when it happens, it might take a long time to get home.
What's MREs????

Just wanted to let you know I DIDN'T understand how people could live in a place without winter! - Snow - Ice - -20 wind chill factors - gloomy sun-less days! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now I'm starting to understand - and starting to pick my area of retirement. The nasty weather the south has been having is making it difficult. :)
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 AM

that is just crazy
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 AM

What's MREs????

Meals Ready to Eat; they are rations used by the military. They come with a section that will heat the food up so you don't need any extra stuff for that.

I'm here in N. Texas, and folks have been locked down for almost a week. Weathermen here have noted that it's the first time in at least 15 years since we've had stuff like this.

never thought I'd say this, but I'm ready to go back to work...