Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The pics of what a deer did to my car... >

The pics of what a deer did to my car...

The pics of what a deer did to my car...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm glad no one was hurt.
You really have to be on alert when driving, they just run out in front of your car, both day and night
We have to many deer these days, you should see my garden or lack of, do to deer think it's an all you can eat buffet.
And for a tip they leave you Lyme disease.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM

must be the season, our daughter just hit a deer this morning, not near the damage as yours.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Many years ago my husband and I were in South Carolina on vacation. We visited his younger brother and were headed back to the highway when we saw three deer ahead of us on the road. Two of the deer jumped over the fence on our right side along the road but the other deer decided to turn back and we hit him and knocked him down where he to scrabble around in circles. Then when he regained his feet , he took off going the opposite way from the other deer. The damage to our car was over $3000.00 . When we had the insurance examiner look at the damage he wanted to know what we had hit. We told him it was a deer. He said here in FL? We told him it happened in S. Carolina and still had some hairs from the deer in the cracks in the left front fender. He couldn't believe it and started laughing.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM

It seems, not a matter of if, but when one of those leaping fools dashes in front of your car in some areas of the country. Lesson I have learned over the years, when turning in the claim to insurance co., that deer HIT OR LEAPED in front of you. In other words, he hit you, you did not hit it. There seems to be a major difference in payment.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

I feel your pain!! On my way to work at 6:40 am, it was dark, one day in Oct. I too had an up close look at a rather large buck!! He and my car met head on..........my 2010 Subaru..........the deer ran away..........almost 4 weeks and an $8600.00 bill to my ins. co. I have my car back looking like new!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis42 View Post
I hit two deer while living in MT. As the silly insurance lady said, "did you hit the deer, or did the deer hit you?" She had to have been a city girl. I was really shook up when I hit the first one. I'll never forget her eyes. Always a blessing when it is not serious. But I had to have body work done both times.
The insurance lady had good reason to ask. If YOU hit the deer, then a collision goes on your insurance, along with the higher $$ to pay.
If the DEER ran into you, then it is considered a comprehensive claim. All you pay is your deductible if you have comprehensive coverage on your car~~~
This has happened to me more than once!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM

thankfully, I've never experienced this deer vs car accident...and hopefully never will. I've had lots of close calls, but have always managed to swerve my way around those pesky creatures.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Yes, deer do hit your car. The one that hit me ran in front of the car, into the ditch, turned around and ran smack into the passenger side door. But my favorite was a deer on a four lane street in the middle of the city. Was driving home my DH from a medical procedure. He was still groggy from the anesthesia, and said "dear". I was "what?". He said, "no, deer.". It ran in front of us, I missed it, the car going the same direction in the left land missed it, but a car going the other direction got it. We had a bow hunting season in town--no limit.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Me too. I had to have body work done, but on me, not the car. My Cadillac was totaled. Over $6500.00 in damages. Me, 33 stitches in my mouth where the deer kicked me trying to get out of the car. It jumped in the windshield and bent the frame of the car. Tore all of the electronics out where the rear view was. The air bag didn't even go off because it came in through the window, not the front of the car. But I'm still here! At the time this happened, I was living in the country. Not too many deer where I moved to. Just ignorant drivers. LOL
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Sega, that deer did quite a number! I am sorry it happened but glad your son was not hurt in the process.