Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Picture of the "sewing soldier." >

Picture of the "sewing soldier."

Picture of the "sewing soldier."

Old 03-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Picture of the "sewing soldier."

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/s...65pCPZzOixh.01

Love this!!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 AM

I loved this series, the sewing was just fantastic and Neil certainly caught the public eye but the winner was an ex soldier of which little or nothing was mentioned or if it was I missed it. Here is his story..

http://www.getreading.co.uk/whats-on...s-matt-8844225

sorry, I don't know how to turn this into a link so cut and paste or perhaps one of our more computer literate members can help.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I saw this story and loved it! I remember when a big old professional football player...I think it might have been Rosie Greer...was into knitting...
Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Love this! My DF was a Marine Corps Drill Instructor who sewed better than I do still. Guys sew all the time, they just don't talk about it! Lol!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
I saw this story and loved it! I remember when a big old professional football player...I think it might have been Rosie Greer...was into knitting...
I am glad to see this story. The Brits seem to have less problems than American men to admit to these skills.

Actually, Rosie Greer does needlepoint and he is very good at it. As far as any man doing any "women's" crafts (i.e. needlecraft, sewing, etc.), I never could understand the reluctance to admit it, since so many tailors are men, so are many shoemakers and leather makers (both require "sewing" skills), and not all the fashion designers are gay.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 PM

My DH can sew. Used to sew patches on uniforms aboard ship for himself and shipmates. He helps me all the time with the LA machine.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:20 PM

All three of my boys know how to sew.
My middle son has been in the Air Force for 12 years now. I bought him a Sewing machine several years ago.
His ex- wife made fun of him until he sewed her patches on her uniform, saving them about $50.00 each.
Then after they split, he had a fellow airman who gave him a hard time about sewing, until Dave sewed his patches on also.
My youngest son does some entertaining and made his costumes.

Susan
Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM

I believe people of either flavor should be well-rounded.

It's good to fix your car or a weedeater or something around your house, cook a great meal and make something nice.

I always thought that people were taught sewing in the military(to maintain their uniforms?)

I wish home ec was still being taught everywhere. Cooking, sewing, shopping, budgeting are good and vital life skills.

Shop classes are going by the wayside also. SMH.

I don't understand why kids aren't learning these things at school anymore even though they should be taught at home as well...
Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 AM

just thinking of all the things men sewed by hand, hides for blankets and clothing and shoes, masts for ships, wounds,
book binding, soldiers were taught to sew buttons, mend their own uniforms and stitch up wounds in the field. remnants of needles and thread were found 25000 years ago. men have been sewing quite a while
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Rosey Greer A foot ball player did needle point on long trips, as it help relax him. I do a lot of so called man`s work, but then I`m a farmers wife. Never could talk him into helping me in the kitchen tho.