Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg

Banned
    We are going to take a trip next week to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for the first time. What are the most popular sights to see? We are not into amusement parks and things like that, too fat and old. :lol: My husband likes old west stuff. :wink: We mostly like scenic views. Whats the best road to take to see the Smoky Mtns? I want to see some bears and elk! OH MY!

The main road thru town will take you into the Smokey Mountain National Park....They have many walking tours and driving ones, too. I remember a couple that only had about a 1/2 mile trail from the parking area to a waterfall.....Have fun, but don't feed the bears :wink:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    The main road thru town will take you into the Smokey Mountain National Park....They have many walking tours and driving ones, too. I remember a couple that only had about a 1/2 mile trail from the parking area to a waterfall.....Have fun, but don't feed the bears :wink:
    Can't I just pitch something out the window? :wink: Thanks!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Either ride the tram or drive up to Ober Gatlinburg. It is a ski resort in the winter but there are many neat shops in the summer. The views are nice.

We really enjoyed the Comedy Barn when we were there. Very clean family friendly comedy.

421/321 takes you by many nice views. We saw bears in the national park. I don't think elk are likely. My cousin is a game warden down there and I've never heard him say much about elk.

We took a scenic train ride somewhere near there but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the town!!! Maybe my husband will remember. He is the official navigator.

Have a great time!

I have been to Gatlinburg twice. But it was a LONG time ago........

There used to be a tiny diner set back from the main drag that had the best breakfasts - haven't been there in years. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    There used to be a tiny diner set back from the main drag that had the best breakfasts - haven't been there in years. Have fun!
    Yes, been there! but can't remember where it was :roll:

Banned
    Thanks for the info. We are leaving in the morning and I can't wait to get there!! :mrgreen:

Banned
    We made it to Chattanooga!!! :mrgreen:

Went to Gatlinburg in the late 60's - don't remember much except our brakes gave out on a mountain road. It is beautiful country.

Blog Entries
    If your still able to get online, and read this
    - check out Cade's Cove!!! It's a settlement from the 1800s, it's like waking up on Little House on the Praire!
    http://www.cadescove.net/auto_tour.html

I was there about 24 years ago, when my kids were little, and then again on our honeymoon 4 1/2 years ago. I would live right next door if I could in a heart beat!! lol!!! You can go in all the old buildings and check them out, and it's got to be the most beautiful scenry I've ever seen!!
    Someday I'm moving down there!!

And we lost our brakes too, going down mountain! lol!!! But they started working again, apparently they just got too hot. Although we did have to get new ones when we got back home.
    :D

Blog Entries
    Cade's cove is beautiful............so is the smell of burning brakes. My husband designs machines used in the brake manufacturing business the more brakes you all burn up the more he sells! :D

Brake hard and have fun!

Our alternater went out on the way down from the mountains. Thankfully, God was with us and my husband had actually brought tools. The next morning he replaced it in a autozone parking lot. We came home with an overpriced battery from a gas station and a battery charger from K-mart. But the mountains sure were beautiful.

OMG!! You are going to be in the neck of 'Dollywood'!!! (Pigeon Forge)Who couldn't go there?! It is a branch off our Silver Dollar City in Branson.....they worked together to do the Dollywood....I'd say it would be great!! Homemade taffy..fudge...rides....many artisans!! Look it up online and see what they would be celebrating while you are there....and, heck, hug Dolly if you see her for me;)Skeat

Banned
    Went thru Cades Cove and a few other places...no brake problems! It was awesome! Didn't see a bear but I haven't give up yet!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

If yo get a chance go to Cherry Pit Quilt shop and also Machine Quilting by Iva.

Cherry Pit has beautiful quilts and Kits. Iva has Batiks and Everything else.

Blog Entries
    Hey Marsye, you are only about 20 miles from my Mamaw's house. Be sure to honk at her!

Enjoy your trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    Went to Gatlinburg in the late 60's - don't remember much except our brakes gave out on a mountain road. It is beautiful country.
    whoa, that's scary,...is that how you ended up on the beach? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Cade's cove is beautiful............so is the smell of burning brakes. My husband designs machines used in the brake manufacturing business the more brakes you all burn up the more he sells! :D

Brake hard and have fun!
    CRACK ME UP!!!
    talk about a bad trip! :roll: :lol:

Banned
    Hey Marsye, you are only about 20 miles from my Mamaw's house. Be sure to honk at her!

Enjoy your trip!!
    She was standing on the porch....we honked and mooned her. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding...don't know where that came from!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    It would be too funny if you did moon my Mamaw. She's a nut and just might moon you back! 94 years of wrinkly old lady behind shining down from the side of a mountain might cause and accident!

Blog Entries
    We go to Gatlinburg every fall. We leave on the 23rd. Can't wait.
    There is something so relaxing about those mountains.

Banned
    It would be too funny if you did moon my Mamaw. She's a nut and just might moon you back! 94 years of wrinkly old lady behind shining down from the side of a mountain might cause and accident!
    LMAO!!!! We did see a little ole' lady walking a huge pot belly pig on a leash. It struck us as hilarious for some reason. :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    We go to Gatlinburg every fall. We leave on the 23rd. Can't wait.
    There is something so relaxing about those mountains.
    The leaves were just beginning to change so should be gorgeous while you are there. It was our first time to the area. It was awesome! We went back home over the mountain from Gatlinburg and came out at Cherokee, NC. The town of Cherokee was awesome too! Have a great time on your trip....we did!!!

Now its back to work! I have over 100 orders stacked up for me! :?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast