Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pillow Talk...sorry it is a long post.

Pillow Talk...sorry it is a long post.

Hi, I usually post in the vintage sewing machine section but my question would go better in this forum I think.

I have had trouble sleeping and have been doing lots of research on pillows. My symptoms lead me to the obvious conclusion I am allergic to my pillow. I had been having headaches for about three months that develope at about 1:30 am and last until 4 the next day and nothing would stop them. I thought I was just developing the dreaded migraines for my 60th year of life..LOL. Turns out it was a fluffy 100% polyester blanket given to me at Christmas. Whenever I got cold and pulled it up around my face I got the headaches and I didn't put it all together until last week because it was so random!

I have developed a slight case of rosacea or what I thought was but apparently it can be from pillow allergy. I have tried, latex, buckwheat hulls ( too noisy ) I am allergic to feathers, wools, lanolin's and a few other fibers but cotton and silk are good for me. I checked my current pillow and it is polyester. I get very stuffed up after I go to bed and about 1 hour after rising it clears so now I really need to make myself an organic cotton or silk or both? pillow with organic pillow cases and I hope it will solve my miseries.

I am a newbie quilter sewist and have only made one quilt many years ago and have decided to try out some of my beautiful machines ( I started a new hobby back in Sept.) with quilting projects. I know nothing about fiber fill, batting etc. What I have read though is that the cotton fiber mashes flat pretty quickly, some is washable some isn't. My question is could one use a combination of layers of cotton and silk batting and fiberfill to help maintain some loft? Or would that complicate the washing of the products? All cotton then?

Any suggestions where I could purchase quality organic products to make up the pillows? Any suggestions from anyone who has gone through this would be extremely helpful.

I think for tonight until I figure something out I will use the one bag of pure cotton batting I bought to learn to quilt with and put it into a cotton pillow case and if all goes well I will charge ahead and make pillows for hubby and myself and the guest the bed. I have no idea which would be hotter or cooler or fluffier or how to make it dense. I actually like two pillows to sleep with one is thicker and firm and the one on top is thin and soft so I can cuddle it and squish it.

Thank you to anyone making it through this long post and thank you for any helpful hints or experiences. Appreciate it very much.
    Lorraine
    Creativity needs focus and application...
    http://sewvintageuniqueboutique.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    My mom swears by her feather pillow but I find them hard. I make my own pillows with the foam chips you can buy at Walmart. I made a rectangle out of a silky pre-quilted fabric and stuffed it with the foam chips and sewed the opening shut. I don't make it very full as I like to be able to mold my pillow. I make a little hallow for my head with a little extra fluff at my neck. I also tried the ergonomic foam pillow but I just couldn't get used to it.

Thanks Tartan, I guess it will be just trial and error for awhile until I get the right combination. I think I will start with batting on the bottom and the organic fiber on top of that. The main complaint is of the cotton balling up and then being uncomfortable so maybe I can actually quilt the pillow into layers so the cotton fiber can flatten out but not really ball up? Well, I will just have to get started and see where I end up.

If you do a search on Google for organic stuffing you come with lots of choices. Take a look.

https://www.google.com/search?q=orga...icial&tbm=shop
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Hobbs makes an organic all cotton, but, in my experience with it in pillows, it can be too firm--not like a soft pillow--as it is used more and more. If you were able to wrap it around another substance that is softer, it might work.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thanks Jan I appreciate the response. I will keep combing the web for different fibers that I might be able to use with the cotton. For tonight or until I can figure something out I wrapped my bag of organic cotton batting with a nice fluffy 100% pure cotton towel and put it inside a 400 count Egyptian cotton pillow case I had so at least I wouldn't be sleeping on polyester anymore. I took a nap on it this afternoon and it wasn't bad, not great but not bad.

Be weary of feather pillows, they too can trigger allergies and can also aggravate an existing condition. Also pay attention how your upper back and neck is supported by the pillow. You can get very nasty headaches from muscle issues in the shoulder area.
    Best wishes and hopefully you will be on your way to a more restful sleep.

Thanks bibi, I have been allergic to wool, angora, any animal fibers since I was born and that included feathers too. So I stay away from all of those. I do well with real silk, not kapok silk which is now being used with cotton because it is fluffier and holds its shape. It comes from a tree and has a natural oil in the fibers so I am not going anywhere near it. I have reactions to most pollens, plant oils and plant extracts.

This leaves me with cotton and silk. I have even tried Linen and flax and they cause my skin to itch and turn red. The really great news is this morning when I climbed out of bed and headed into the powder room my face had almost none of the redness in the cheeks area. I always thought it was post menopausal or the beginnings of rosacea. It felt so good to glance at the mirror and see a normal colored face.
    Thanks again

I bought what is called "My Pillow" made in USA perhaps google it and see what they are made of. I love mine.

Being that you so many allergies to things that most pillows are made of perhaps you should just sleep flat on the mattress...no pillow at all. Or how about making a wedge pillow......

I tried "My Pillow" and hated it. My mom, sisters, and 2 BILs love it.

I have lots of allergies, too, Lorraine. My oldest son does, as well. Look at AllergyControl.com I've never bought their pillows, but I have purchased the pillow coverings, laundry detergent (which I use mostly for bed linens), and a few other things from them and have been happy. I just placed an order on Friday and they expect it to be at my house by Tues or Wed. Good luck!!

There are pillow casings that you can zip onto a bed pillow.

One thing I learned is that my pillows must be tossed in the dryer at high temp for about 1/2 hour every month or so to kill the dust mites. If I don't. then I get the same symptoms. That is true no matter what your pillow is made from.

Like you, I can't use feather pillows because of allergies.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    One thing I learned is that my pillows must be tossed in the dryer at high temp for about 1/2 hour every month or so to kill the dust mites. If I don't. then I get the same symptoms. That is true no matter what your pillow is made from.

Like you, I can't use feather pillows because of allergies.
    Thanks for that info. I read the same thing last night so I will definitely remember to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    I tried "My Pillow" and hated it. My mom, sisters, and 2 BILs love it.

I have lots of allergies, too, Lorraine. My oldest son does, as well. Look at AllergyControl.com I've never bought their pillows, but I have purchased the pillow coverings, laundry detergent (which I use mostly for bed linens), and a few other things from them and have been happy. I just placed an order on Friday and they expect it to be at my house by Tues or Wed. Good luck!!
    Thank you for that info. I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by janjj View Post
    I bought what is called "My Pillow" made in USA perhaps google it and see what they are made of. I love mine.
    It is made from three different foams and the website is not forthcoming with the materials used. I avoid foam pillows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Being that you so many allergies to things that most pillows are made of perhaps you should just sleep flat on the mattress...no pillow at all. Or how about making a wedge pillow......
    I could NEVER sleep flat w/o a pillow, Cotton works well for me, it was just a matter of finding pillows that had both the insides and outsides in 100% cotton, made in the USA with USA grown cotton. I bought four pillows today and can't wait for them to arrive. I took about 8 hours really searching around on the web to find them, the I always read all of the reviews. I always ask on my forums because nine times out of ten other people have the same issues and have some experience and helpful answers
    Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 04-13-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan;6672260[B
    I don't make it very full as I like to be able to mold my pillow. I make a little hallow for my head with a little extra fluff at my neck. I also tried the ergonomic foam pillow but I just couldn't get used to it.[/B]
    I've never heard of anyone else that needed to make a "dent" in their pillow, but I need to make a dent for my ear. If I leave my ear on the pillow for about 30 minutes, it starts to hurt. Then I move and it takes about 5 minutes for the pain to go away. So I have to punch it a few times to make a hole "dent" for my ear. Usually I kind of fold the pillow so that there is no pillow under my ear. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do this with the big square pillows they have in Europe, but I made it work.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

This company sells 100% organic cotton pillows including the fill. I haven't bought from them so I would check their return policy before any purchase. http://www.whitelotus.net/organic-cotton-pillows.html hope this helps!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    This company sells 100% organic cotton pillows including the fill. I haven't bought from them so I would check their return policy before any purchase. http://www.whitelotus.net/organic-cotton-pillows.html hope this helps!
    Thank you so much for that link! It is truly organic cotton on cotton with lots of different pillow options, I love it! They seem to have terrific customer service. I have put them into the roto file right next to the computer for future purchases.

This is very interesting info. I can't use feather pillows due to allergies, but have noticed headaches and stuffy nose and rosacea much more at our main house, not second one. I'm going to check fabric content of bed stuff. I did get a pillow which was advertised on tv that had some kind of pellets. Was supposed to help people with neck problems. It does help and is kind of horseshoe shaped. I don't remember the brand and am not at home for a week, so I can't check.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I've never heard of anyone else that needed to make a "dent" in their pillow, but I need to make a dent for my ear. If I leave my ear on the pillow for about 30 minutes, it starts to hurt. Then I move and it takes about 5 minutes for the pain to go away. So I have to punch it a few times to make a hole "dent" for my ear. Usually I kind of fold the pillow so that there is no pillow under my ear. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do this with the big square pillows they have in Europe, but I made it work.
    Me Too. MY mother always told me I was crazy.
    MK
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I am like maviskw. Have to have a dent for my ear to fit in my pillow. Hurts like mad if I don't. My Dad is the same way. Some people are just a little strange aren't we????

So glad to learn that I'm not the only one who is so particular about pillows to be able to have a good night's sleep!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This issue of ears hurting is actually a 'disease' (whose name escapes me at present); it can cause an awful pressure sore -- we were sure my sister had a cancer on her ear -- that can be treated by a dermatologist. They of course wanted her to buy an expensive specialty pillow.
    When I briefly had a similar problem before buying a new pillow, I made a small 'earring' of some rolled flannel that fit around my ear on the pillow, and relieved a bit of the direct pressure.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

QUICK UPDATE! I have been using my new 100% all Texas organic cotton pillows with same for the cases and I am feeling much better. I actually am sleeping 90% better, Sinus problems all but gone, NO headaches and I have been outdoors watering the terraces by hand under blooming orange trees, Blooming Photinia and lots of other blooms and I hardly notice. Before I would have been just miserable and rinsing my sinuses. I am really surprised that one thing triggered so many other things. Can't wait for DH to come home and try his out. They are not as comfortable as a foam or gel pillow but I sleep so sound now I don't notice and it is well worth having to fluff them up every so often not to be so sick. Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread.

P.S. Dark eye circles and rosacea all gone.
    Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 04-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.

I use a really thick big towel for a pillow. Just fold it up and slip into a pillow case. Toss the towel in the washer and it is all fluffed up again. The one I have is big enough to use as a small throw blanket or bath sheet.

That does work too. I did that until my pillows arrived. I used the fluffiest all cotton towel we had in the house for about four days and I must say the pillows are much better..LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
    I use a really thick big towel for a pillow. Just fold it up and slip into a pillow case. Toss the towel in the washer and it is all fluffed up again. The one I have is big enough to use as a small throw blanket or bath sheet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast