Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Planing a get away to Branson MO.

Planing a get away to Branson MO.

We are have a get away for few days, what are some of the have to do's in Branson? quilt shops, flea markets, what shows to see?
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Blog Entries
    There is a FABULOUS quilt shop called "Quilts and Quilts" - I believe that is the name. It was on the "strip" but got hit with a tornado a few years ago - so now they have relocated on a bypass road. Don't know any of your other questions, but there are a few quilt shops in a neighboring town - Ozark. They are close to "Lamberts" - the restaurant where they throw you the rolls - SUCH FUN.
    Nikki in MO

We went to several quilts shops in Branson a few months ago and were disappointed. Most of the quilts in there were imports. We did go in Quilts and Quilts and it is a nice store with lots of fabric and patterns. They had a lot of samples made up.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Go up Route 66....interstate toward St. Louis, and stop at the signs for Mt. Vernon, MO., Ben Franklin store to see home made quilts and other hand made items. Worth the trip to go there. Also ask about "Mutton Holler' that used to be in that area...but may have changed. Explore and have fun, lots to do there and to discover. Used to travel down old 66 to Springfield from Bourbon area, had lots of good memories of the good people who lived there. Ridge back bridges and cement water level bridges...never cross at flood levels, and Cuba MO on route 19 where when you crested a hill you had to brake quickly and not roll into the river where a small ferry waited to ferry cars across the 'stream'. Them good ole days may be gone, but the memoires linger on...

Go, have fun, and enjoy the chance to see unusual sights and sounds of the 'modern' world and share your real 'finds' back with us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    There is a FABULOUS quilt shop called "Quilts and Quilts" - I believe that is the name. It was on the "strip" but got hit with a tornado a few years ago - so now they have relocated on a bypass road. Don't know any of your other questions, but there are a few quilt shops in a neighboring town - Ozark. They are close to "Lamberts" - the restaurant where they throw you the rolls - SUCH FUN.
    Definitely go to Lamberts if you can. The food was so good and a lot of it. In addition to the meal you order, they came around with more side dishes and spooned them onto your plate if you wanted and, yes, rolls are thrown to you. It was fun. I was so full of food. Loved Branson. We also went to Silver Dollar City http://www.silverdollarcity.com
    We really enjoyed it. They have shows. It's been a while so don't know what shows to see in town.

Blog Entries
    Go to Mel's Hard Luck Diner https://melshardluckdiner.com/ ; the food is good and the waiter's and waitress's sing to you while you eat. They are good too. Marshall's Dry Goods http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/ is about a 30 min drive into Arkansas.
    Last edited by MissM; 05-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
    We also went to Silver Dollar City http://www.silverdollarcity.com
    We really enjoyed it. They have shows. It's been a while so don't know what shows to see in town.
    Yes, definitely go to Silver Dollar City. My dad drives a passenger bus or tram from the parking lot to the park and he loves it! He's a "people person" if you ever saw one. He's probably the only driver there with a deep southern drawl.....
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I believe Sight and Sound is in Branson.

I am assuming you are looking for the kind that sells fabric. Branson has one main Quilt shop - Quilts and Quilts on Shepherd of the hills Parkway They sell lots and lots of fabric and have other stuff as well. There is also a shop at Silver Dollar City (I havent been, refuse to pay to shop) THe shops that say Ozark Quilt shop only sell quilts made in China. The quilters in the area, really intensly dislike them. The only thing they have common to the area is the name - they are in the Ozarks. Ozark, Mo has one qulit shop - Sew Simple that is behind Lamberts. They have fabic and I think they sell hand made quilts also. There are several shops in Springfield that sell fabric. If you wish more information, please pm me.
    Jackey in Mo
    Fabaddict

Blog Entries
    It is a short drive North on US65 to Springfield (you'll pass Ozark where Lambert's and Sew Simple shop are located)... and there are several quilt shops/fabric stores in S'field... look for the FM store, too. Merrily We Quilt Along is the Bernina dealer, too, and she has a tea room next to the shop. There's another really wonderful Quilt shop, but I can't remember the name of the shop. (I'm in S'field 2-3 times a year to visit my sis or I'd have more info!)
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Not been to Branson. I have heard the traffic was real bad several years ago. Not heard if it has gotten better.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Traffic on the main strip in Branson is usually crowded, some times are worse than others depending on the time of the year. However, there are several routes on the back roads that make traveling much easier. We have spent a weekend in Branson shopping and going to shows without ever driving on the strip.

I was at 'Quilts and Quilts' in October. Totally had a blast! They stock everything for quilting.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    Quilt and Quilts is a must for a quilter... If you take in a show Pierce Arrow is too funny! Lots of fun things to do. Most of the shows are very good. But for a quilter Quilts and Quilts is great. Most of the other places that advertise homemade quilts are made in Taiwan or China, cheap made. There is a quilt shop in Springfield MO that is on 65 Hwy going towards Branson it is Merrily We Quilt Along it is at Sunshine and 65, the back of the store is towards 65 Hwy, but there is a big sign there.. Have fun
    Last edited by duckydo; 05-22-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: addition

Make sure you save some time for Quilt and Quilts. They are on Shepard of the Hills Route. Not far from the IMAX. Great store, and plenty to see and fine. Great people that work there too. Love that place.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We went a couple years ago...If you like comedy go see the Bald Knobbers. Dixie Stampede Show. That was the 2 shows we saw they were very good.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White. Many many more.
    Debbie

If you like good all around music shows then a must see is the New Old South Quartet at the 76 Music Theater--excellent show and when you purchase your tickets you get a discount at the Old Country Buffet which is also excellent. Another good show is the #1 best 60's music show--all 60's music and really entertaining. Quilts and Quilts is an excellent quilt shop and if you venture on down the road a little ways you can visit Country Corner Quilt Shop, known as the biggest quilt shop in Arkansas--excellent sales staff and really nice store. There is never a lack of something to see or do in Branson--don't forget Tangert Outlet Mall--big variety of stores there.

Quilter's Club of America has a smart phone app that will let you know the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all the quilting shops in a particular area. You can find info about it here: http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...-and-free.aspx Hope this helps!

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

I have been there but that was before I got into quilting. (about 10 years ago). And, Mel's Hard Luck Diner is awesome. Also, they had a Legions in Concert that was great. Another good store to visit is the Christmas store. It was just wonderful and we had a great time.

Try The Quilted Cow in Cape Fair Amazing store, beautiful fabric, pleasant atmosphere, beautiful drive on way to
    shop.

Blog Entries
    We have been to Branson many times. By far the best show is the "Jim Stafford Show".
    The major live play this year is "Jonah" and you will be amazed! The list is long and very good. Enjoy!