Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Warm Window Shade

Warm Window Shade

I bought some of this insulation drapery at JAF that is made by Warm & Natural called Warm Window. I have read over the various instructions and I am at a lost. Has anybody tried this product?? It was on clearance and my bedroom window faces west so I my apt really heats up in the afternoon. Any assistance would be appreciated. I have made drapes before.

http://www.warmcompany.com/wwpage.html
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I haven't seen it before, and I'm not really sure what you're asking. There are lots of instructions on the website - if you're still having trouble you could email the company.

Blog Entries
    On that web page are links to instructions for 6 different window treatments using Warm Window. Did you click on those? I think your first step would be to decide which window treatment you want to do.

I don't know you question but I made some one time with a window shade backing and so know you can't fold it. I presume it is just you backing with fabric on top. Cut the backing the exact size the roll the cover over it like a binding on a quilt. If this is too confusing just hit the delete button. good luck

I made these roman shades and tab back valances not long ago. They are quilted from sheets like the bed covers.. rods run through rings sewn to the back and are hung on cup hooks at the height I wanted to raise them...we gave up on the cord system when our fur kids kept eating the cords. LOL They extend just past the window frame so that when winter comes I can use either double back tape or Velcro to seal out the cold and any wind. Just an idea for you..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Used this product, I believe the first year it came out. Made pillow slips and slid the WW down inside. Then hung on rods attached to window frames. That was one cozy way to keep our old drafty Fixer-upper for many years.
    As the house became modernized with "better" windows, I tossed the shades. I still miss rolling down or tucking aside the shades. It gave us a warm safe feeling.
    Follow tutes on site. They are helpful
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

I have made 17 of them. what is it you need to Know. I love them

I've made several shades using this product. What is your question?

I made two 40+ years ago... I think they were even called Warm Windows then. A couple of VERY cold California kids ended up relocated to Nebraska - put them on the bedroom windows (singled paned and one was cracked). We survived and did not freeze to death. Took them when we left and used them in the next location. Left them when we gave up and just came home. If I needed them I would sure use them again. Even had magnetic strips on the side to help close off drafts.

Blog Entries
    I've never tried this, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention - good luck on your project, I hope you'll post some pics.

This is something that I will investigate further. Thanks!!

Sounds interesting! I think I am going to investigate too!!

Thank you so much for this info. My daughter bought her first home last year and while many of the things had been updated, the windows definitely need to be replaced. They dont let water in, but they DO let the Michigan winter winds in!
    I have already sent her the link.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to check into this. We live in an old house and this would certainly reduce energy bills.

Thanks for the link, never heard of it but will be looking out for more info but can't seem to find a supplier for us here in the UK!

My windows are new and don't leak air.
    I am thinking one may be good to keep the hot sun shining on the window from heating up our south facing window in the our bedroom. I will have to check it out.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I made Roman shades for all the windows in my old, drafty house years ago using the Warm Windows lining. Magnetic strips were sewn into casings along the sides and stuck to magnetic strips along the window casings. It made a huge difference in keeping the house warm. Wish I could afford to do that in the drafty old house I'm currently living in.

Thanks for sharing this info. I will definitely check further as I will need to make new shades for our bedroom in the very near future.

I still have a few questions rattling around in my head. There is a lot pf infp on the Warm Product website. I bought this at a local JAF in So CA. The product number is 753705011122. This product is 45" wide. The JAF website does not have the product. I paid $6.00 a yard because the clearance fabrics were 50% off.

As you can see in the picture, there is a sort of knit fabric on one side and what appears to be a batting on the other. I assume that you attach the fabric to the batting side. My window is 58.25" in width & 52.75" in height. The window slides open moving to the left so I want to early in the morning slide the curtain to the left so the cooler air can enter the room. So I am leaning toward doing something with loops so I can install a simple presser drapery rod since I live in an apt. I am thinking to keep the insulation up tight to the top of the window, to sew the loops on the top of the back. There is lot of info on Warm Product website along with an interesting post of sewers that I found when I Google: Warm Window.

Thanks you again for all of your help. If anyone is interested, I can post my progress as I go along. I always find a photo is worth a thousand words.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 09-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I bought some of this earlier this year. My Dh wants me to make a cover for our gas fireplace in our vacation home. It was so cold this winter and so much snow that he didn't use the fireplace that much. It was warming the roof and creating ice. So he put plastic over it. It billowed out so I know there is air leakage. So sometime in the next couple of months I have to make a decorative front and a casing to insert magnets and then it will stick to the fireplace and it will look better than plastic and painter's tape! The only difficult part will be making the part where there is a protrusion at the top - like a flange or something- i'm thinking a dart would allow for that. I hope i can figure it out simply- sometimes my brain doesn't like designing stuff!LOL
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I have made many shades in the past with it, a great product that is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Use it for making Roman Shades for best results. I have created applique wall hangings for use on the inside then back them with the warm window rather than layering for quilting then add rings or ring tape to the back for raising and lowering there probably is a lot of information if you google roman shades as well. Good luck and have fun creating!