Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planning any home projects ?

Planning any home projects ?

Now that it finally feels like spring is upon us, what home projects are you planning? For me, I really hope that this is the year to replace our old sidewalks and replace our old patio with a new patio. I love sitting outside under my patio umbrella and read, etc. Our old patio is a nasty wreck!

Sandy.
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 03-17-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Wanted to correct the subject line
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I will be replacing my sliding glass door from my kitchen to the deck. Planned on doing it in the fall but it got to cold. The new door has been sitting in my garage all winter. I also need to replace some shrubs that I pulled out last fall.
    Marilyn

We have been working several months now on a bathroom in our basement. We used one of those Saniflo toilets that you see on TV and also a vanity and small shower. Nearly done now except for trim.

But then we (I ) decided to paint the rest of the utility/laundry room which had ugly dark paneling, so I am working on that next.

I would like to restain my deck this summer, hope I can find the time!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

This is the year to repaint all the patio furniture. I wanted to do it last year, but ..... well the DGD i watch every day was just an infant...Hoping she will enjoy being in her swing so much that i can paint and push her at the same time !!!
    Indoors i have been toying with the idea of a "family tree" on the long wall of the hallway....the tree would be black, with family photos in black frames hung like "fruit" on the tree. Still thinking on it.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping that this is the year we get new carpeting for front and dining rooms. And get some re-painting done in the same rooms.

Blog Entries
    Going to replace kitchen cupboards ,Have the carpet I living room tore out & going to put laminate in there ,we are planning on selling the house & moving cross country to Washington ,

Here's hoping we can replace the bedroom carpet with vinyl plank and (if necessary) refinish the upstairs hall floor (original to house hardwood). Also need to paint kitchen and living room top to bottom. Not really looking forward to the work involved in either project with all the furniture moving, etc. But they both need to be done desperately.

Blog Entries
    Last year, I had a sweet 7-1/2x7-1/2 deck made for out front with two rocking chairs, a table a little fountain and moi!!!!!! This year, I am going to bring out my portable Singer and sew out on the deck, greet neighbors, tell them what I am doing, maybe serve a glass of wine. My sister is making me a sign for in front of the deck - says "Gemutleikheit" which is a beautiful German word for welcome, come over anytime. Your presence is very much enjoyed. Come, sit and visit. You name it, it belongs. The background is white, it is done in German script and painted in a dark Teal Blue. With a dark teal blue ribbon to hold it on the rail of the deck. So excited to see it done. Gonna plant some annuals around the deck and there I will spend my free time this summer, sewing, listening to a book, listening to some music, sewing my little heart out. I just got home from the hospital after being whisked to the hospital via rescue squad from the drs. office. Was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure - doesn't mean I am going to die today or tomorrow, but I am on a lo/no salt diet. So even though I didn't use much salt at all, I still have to use less. Went to Whole Foods yesterday and found the best tasting no salt bread. Delicious. I know I have to have some salt, but I will save it for the most important stuff for me, like Olive Garden soup~!~~~~~~~ I am fine, (I hope) feel super great and will enjoy every day I have to the utmost and will appreciate everything else moreso., IT IS SO GOOD TO FEEL SO GOOD!!!!!! AND I DO!!!!!! Now we need some nice deck sitting weather, and no rain for the rest of the year.

Have a great day - enjoy what God has given you and look forward to what He hasn't yet!. What you get done, you get done, what you don't you don't. The world is not going to end if you don't. Just enjoy every day. I sure am. And for sure if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow or the next day or the next day or maybe the next day.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

i would like to add a 24 x 24 room to the house for my sewing/quilting room but don't know
    if that will happen . we will see

We had the laminate flooring removed in our home. Replaced it with real hardwood, love it! That led to painting the office and our bedroom. I have been cleaning and purging as I put things away. This turned a four day job into a two week sort and clean frenzy. My niece is coming over today to help, yeah, Jen! We will wait a couple of weeks then start on the kitchen with a ceramic tile floor, backsplash and a new countertop and sink. Very excited!
    Last edited by Karen G; 03-18-2015 at 05:34 AM.

We're in the process of getting new granite counter tops in the kitchen, to replace the 14 year old tile that's there now. I hate tile kitchen counters and have wanted to get rid of them since we bought this house 4 years ago but we had other priorities and we try to do just one project per year. It needs to go, the grout is coming loose and there are some chipped & cracked tiles.

So THIS year is new kitchen counters, sink, faucet, garbage disposal - should be a pretty easy project especially since we're paying someone else to do most of the work! I've been really enjoying chipping up those hated tiles and throwing them away! They'll make the template on Friday, not positive when installation will be.

And we MIGHT find money in the budget to build a back patio this year too, which would be very nice. There's just a little featureless, bald concrete pad out there right now that's more like a wide sidewalk than a patio - I want to extend the concrete further into the yard and have an overhang built so we'll have a nice sheltered spot out back to sit in the shade in the summer, or to sit and enjoy the rain when it's winter, and enough room to actually put a little table and some chairs back there.

My hubby has been getting the garage done for mymid-arm.Thursday the electrician iscoming to install new lights!The roomis already awesome and fun to quilt in but extra lighting will make it perfect.

We also want to start work again on our backyard.We were working on it but he decided to putit on hold and do the garage and rearrange my sewing studio in the house, addextra lighting, and a love seat so that was done last fall.Now we are going to finish residing the backof the house and building a huge bar area in between the house and pool.Little by little things are gettingdone!My yard guy said we remind him ofthe Manchester Mystery House…always building something…lol.

I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That sounds great!
    Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    This is the year to repaint all the patio furniture. I wanted to do it last year, but ..... well the DGD i watch every day was just an infant...Hoping she will enjoy being in her swing so much that i can paint and push her at the same time !!!
    Indoors i have been toying with the idea of a "family tree" on the long wall of the hallway....the tree would be black, with family photos in black frames hung like "fruit" on the tree. Still thinking on it.

Last Fall I finally got around to putting in a new pathway around my rose garden. The previous summer I removed all the rock/gravel from the area, some had up to 8 inches of rock, 2 layers of landscape fabric and whole bricks. I blew out a disk in my back from that project but finally got the pathway installed with the help from a female friend.

This year its getting new steps on the back deck and a new insulated front door to replace the storm door. I want to continue using the original door with a beveled oval window, the house was built in 1900. I like to be able to have the front door open so folks know I'm home when the walk or drive by in case they want to stop by. The storm door on it now has no insulating qualities so I'm just letting in cold air or hot air depending on the season.

Here's a photo of my pathway. I'm sort of proud of it as its the 1st one I've done. Its not perfect but its good enough for me. Still needed to fill in some areas with concrete where the 2 paths meet and again where one meets the sidewalk. The area slanted in 2 directions so it was a fun but stressful job. Now to fill in the areas with plants. Started splitting mums and putting then along the sides but as it was so close to winter I decided to wait till this spring to finish filling. In one photo you can see one set of steps that need replaced. Have 2 sets on the back deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Last year, I had a sweet 7-1/2x7-1/2 deck made for out front with two rocking chairs, a table a little fountain and moi!!!!!! This year, I am going to bring out my portable Singer and sew out on the deck, greet neighbors, tell them what I am doing, maybe serve a glass of wine. My sister is making me a sign for in front of the deck - says "Gemutleikheit" which is a beautiful German word for welcome, come over anytime. Your presence is very much enjoyed. Come, sit and visit. You name it, it belongs. The background is white, it is done in German script and painted in a dark Teal Blue. With a dark teal blue ribbon to hold it on the rail of the deck. So excited to see it done. Gonna plant some annuals around the deck and there I will spend my free time this summer, sewing, listening to a book, listening to some music, sewing my little heart out. I just got home from the hospital after being whisked to the hospital via rescue squad from the drs. office. Was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure - doesn't mean I am going to die today or tomorrow, but I am on a lo/no salt diet. So even though I didn't use much salt at all, I still have to use less. Went to Whole Foods yesterday and found the best tasting no salt bread. Delicious. I know I have to have some salt, but I will save it for the most important stuff for me, like Olive Garden soup~!~~~~~~~ I am fine, (I hope) feel super great and will enjoy every day I have to the utmost and will appreciate everything else moreso., IT IS SO GOOD TO FEEL SO GOOD!!!!!! AND I DO!!!!!! Now we need some nice deck sitting weather, and no rain for the rest of the year.

Have a great day - enjoy what God has given you and look forward to what He hasn't yet!. What you get done, you get done, what you don't you don't. The world is not going to end if you don't. Just enjoy every day. I sure am. And for sure if it doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow or the next day or the next day or maybe the next day.

Edie

Sounds wonderful! By the way the correct spelling for the German word is "Gemuetlichkeit" ( the u is an Umlaut with 2 dots over the u and no e after it but my computer will not let me do that)

It sure wasn't in the plans, but we had a water pipe freeze and break while we were on vacation, so our kitchen is gutted. We managed to save just four cabinets. Hope the insurance covers everything that had to be pulled out. The new drywall goes up tomorrow, but it will be weeks for the cabinets. The floors may take even longer. **sigh**
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

New carport and re-stain the wooden fence that surrounds the property.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Lots to do, but not looking forward to it. After the monster hail storm we had here last October, we have to put on a new roof (existing roof is only 2 years old), new garage doors, new gutters and fascia, and trim all around the house. Our hot tub gazebo was trashed too, need to replace it. Anyone know a good contractor in my area? :0/

Have several things that could be done, but do final decisions yet. Will also be adding new flowers, etc. to front and back yard areas, and various maintenance repairs. Spring cleaning inside the house too. Am wanting to make a new throw for our couch too.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I live in a condo, so there isn't much. but...
    I want to pull out my hostas in front of my fence. they were to be tiny leaves.
    Well, they are giant leaves. so I want to put little abortives there with some
    small flowering plants, impatients maybe. three yrs ago, we changed our
    fence to a white vinyl one, looks so much better. and maybe clean or deck when
    they come to clean the siding on the house.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have ripped out carpet in 2 rooms on the main floor, with one more room to go. I think I am going to re-sand and re-finish. The floors look pretty damaged though, so I'm going to have to do some research as to if it is even possible. Yeah spring!!

I am still plodding along in my old family room. My new longarm is the centerpiece of my new STUDIO. I have almost everything finished but cannot live with it yet. I still have to finish so it feels like a studio and not a family room. I know I am being toooooo picky but it isn't where I can live in it

Vat
    Just today purchased the granite for new counter tops and tile back splash for the kitchen, master bath, and small bath. been planning (talking about) for quite some time. Finally took the plunge, pretty costly but the first dates we have done in about 12 years. Needing to paint also, maybe really soon.

We just had the living room, dining room and hallway painted an entirely different color. I had been using the dining room for all my machines and this was the opportunity to reorganize. The room is back to being a dining room again although we rarely use. I'm sure I'll be back in there but I will enjoy the new color.
    Alyce

We just finished a big remodel in the basement, so no more inside right now. Outside, my husband is planning to nuke a lot of the backyard. We don't have any grass, just boulders and paths. We used to have a lot of flowers with mulch, but it's totally overgrown with weeds. It needs to be re-started back there.
    Lori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast