Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: please everybody don't throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at me LOL!

please everybody don't throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at me LOL!

With all the talent and beautiful quilts and bedding I see here on the board I am almost afraid to post this LOL! http://www.figis.com/product/twin+ca...B&code=2527001 I need something quick for my GD she is painting her room and needs something by easter and she likes this puff quilt I know I will never get something made by Easter she wants the whole ensemble she just ask me this morning at least she gave me 4 wks notice....but anyhow I just wondered if anybody order from them thanks

Blog Entries
    very pretty. I made my son one when he was about 5, a queen sized one.
    I made my cat a few, one for her cage and one for her throne. she loves them
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I would call the company before ordering to make sure they have it in stock and can get it to you in time. As long as you use a credit card, ordering is pretty safe. If you don't get the item, you can file a written claim with your credit card company.

check Brylanes, too, I think you get a certain % off on your first order and I know they had one of these on their cover.

Gosh puff quilts are back? How fun! I made a puff tooth fairy pillow for my daughter in the early 70's. And I think the bedding is adorable. Sorry I have no knowledge of that company.
    Lori

Do you want to make one or just order ready made? I know someone who has been " working" on one of these for several years now, I think I will send her the pic.....maybe get her to finish it......

I checked the Website. They've been in business for almost 70 years and carry a huge line of products, including cheeses, etc. They have an iron clad money back guarantee. I know a couple of people who have ordered from them and were satisfied. They have a toll free number, so it would be a good idea to call and talk with a rep. froggyintexas

This company has been around for a long time so they are probably doing something right. That's a darling outfit and the price is reasonable, too. You could never make all that for the asking price. Fabric alone would be more than that. I say if it what your DGD wants it then get it. She will change her mind soon, anyway, as she grows up so it will at least last as long as her interest in it. Good luck.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

I made some from a pamphlet type book that calls them biscuit quilts. They are made in an Irish chain pattern. I can't believe they are sold so cheaply. I sewed mine very well so they wouldn't come apart.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The reason they are sold cheaply is that they are imported - probably from China.
    Most of the quilts I've seen from China are cheaper than I can buy the fabric for and that doesn't even cover my time making it.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Its darling... but i have a suggestion... why not have your GD come and help stuff the puffs.... it would give you two quality time and she will have the memories of helping grandma make the treasured quilt..

I have ordered from Figis, usually candy meat packages but they have been around along time. Very pretty too.

Blog Entries
    I understand what you are thinking and I will not throw anything at you. It is a cool ensemble and I for one would love it if I were your GD. Go for it.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I made a 'puff' or 'biscuit' quilt last year. They are not difficult. They are not actually quilted, so when the back is on, you just tie them at the intersections with the ties on the front or back, which ever is pleasing to you. I backed mine with flannel per DH's request. He will never sleep too cold again! Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I know my DIL has ordered from them and has been very happy. BUT i would do a search and check some other sites for better prices,
    Do a search with Puff quilt bedroom set and search by pictures. that way you can see all kinds including that one and than click on the picture to go to the site. I do that all the time
    Last edited by debbieoh; 03-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If that's what she wants then go for it. ANd don't take it personal. You can always make her something else.

Blog Entries
    Figis is an established reputable company from right here in WI. Employees are very friendly and helpful when contacting them. We have ordered many times over the years, as have our friends. For many years my mother would buy a box of cheeses and sausages during the holidays. Some may find items cheaper elsewhere, but I will take their care, handling and the servicing of the products anyday.

Here is my 2 cents. There's nothing wrong with a ready made quilt. I have not heard of this company. Not everyone has the time, talent or money for a hand made quilt. Personally, I ordered a quilt made by Sunday River Quilts probably 10 years ago. It featured a center Texas star motif, surrounding trapunto and a scalloped boarder. I admired all three techniques and knew I would never attempt any of them. It's held up well and still one of my favorite quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I made a 'puff' or 'biscuit' quilt last year. They are not difficult. They are not actually quilted, so when the back is on, you just tie them at the intersections with the ties on the front or back, which ever is pleasing to you. I backed mine with flannel per DH's request. He will never sleep too cold again! Lol!
    They are pretty simple to make but are pretty labor intensive also. I probably won't make another one in my lifetime!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
    The reason they are sold cheaply is that they are imported - probably from China.
    Most of the quilts I've seen from China are cheaper than I can buy the fabric for and that doesn't even cover my time making it.
    I was thinking the same thing about the cost. I made one a couple of years ago and I had almost $75 in just the outside fabric of the puffs. That doesn't include the muslin, backing, thread and stuffing that I used and all the time involved in making it. A twin size from this site is $119 and it is in the color she wants. Hold your head high and order it!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I've never ordered a quilt from anyone. No one will throw anything at you. If she likes it and you are willing, then do what you want. You're an adult.

If you decide to make it, then you go girl!
    Go forth and sew!