Please, get your flu shot!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 AM

I don't trust flu shots....
Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 AM

So glad to see so many not getting the flu shots. So because as my dh and I only took one time a few years back and was never so sick. My dad was in hospital for 14 day after he had one. There are other things in those shots people do not know what they are getting. No thanks

Herbs are great, start before the winter flu season hit's and you will do fine.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
So glad to see so many not getting the flu shots. So because as my dh and I only took one time a few years back and was never so sick. My dad was in hospital for 14 day after he had one. There are other things in those shots people do not know what they are getting. No thanks

Herbs are great, start before the winter flu season hit's and you will do fine.
ConnieF, what kinds of herbs? My grandmother used to mix up a drink after cooking several types of plants, that stuff taste awful but sure cleared out a cold. I did not pay any attention to the recipe she used. Wish I did.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I also never get flu shots and never get the flu. I don't want to reduce my natural resistance.
Actually immunization, which exposes your body to an attenuated or killed virus, BOOSTS your immune system against all kinds of things. Just like eating yogurt with live cultures.

I consider myself very healthy, with a great immune system, take Vit. C 1000mg each day, eat healthy, don't smoke, and as I said, got KNOCKED OUT by the flu like I couldn't believe. For THREE WEEKS. Never again, give me that shot every year!!

To the people who don't get flu shots because "You don't know what is in there," or other non-allergy reasons, just curious - do you get other kinds of immunizations, and do your kids?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 AM

This was the time I got a flu shot in years. I was in the hospital at the time and felt too crappy to really care so I said ok. Will be interesting to see if I get the flu this year. I haven't had the flu in years either!!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM

To the people who don't get flu shots because "You don't know what is in there," or other non-allergy reasons, just curious - do you get other kinds of immunizations, and do your kids?[/quote]

ptquilts. Yep, I am updated on all the other shots but that flu shot in October sure knocked me down big time.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Another thing to keep in mind about the flu shot...it takes up to two weeks for it to take effect. So if you do get the flu before that time frame is up, it is more likely that you already were infected before getting the shot....the shot just wasn't working for you yet.

Bottom line...this is a choice that we all have the right to make. For some it is a yes, for others a no. Either way, make the choice that is right for YOU.

Patti
Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Also the vaccine (no vaccine, in fact) is 100% effective in everyone. But most who do get the shot and then get the flu get a milder case of it.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Got my shot and had a whopping reaction this time... Apparently this years shot includes both the swine flu vaccine plus whatever flavor is "in" this year.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I work in health care so I do get one each year...there sure have been a lot of people coming in sick with flu like symptoms....I too recommend the flu shot and wash, wash, wash your hands!
Same here...I work in a residential facility for people with disabilities, and their health is often fragile...I haven't had my shot yet, but intend to on Monday.