Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
please help!  printing problems!! >

please help! printing problems!!

please help! printing problems!!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Hello everyone,

Hope you have had a blessed Thanksgiving!

I am trying to print some photos on muslin using freezer paper. I have done this several times before. I have two customers who want photo quilts in time to give as Christmas gifts. My mom offered to watch the boys today so I could work on this, and, AAAK! my photos are printing green! Every one of them has a green tint to it--even the ones I have set up for black/white. The people in the photos look like Shrek, not a good thing! I have changed my print cartridges and put new ones in. I have cleaned my printer and have tried realigning the nozzles--any other ideas???? I am at wits end and really, REALLY don't want to venture out on Black Friday to buy a new printer. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a a Canon S400, if that means anything. I'm getting ready to do some research about this online, but thought I would start here!

thanks for any and ALL help!

Rose Hall
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Banned

In case you haven't already done so, check your ink levels.
My Canon went green on me awhile back - needed new cartridges
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

I just replaced them when I started, thought that might be the problem, for some reason when I do the nozzle check the magenta is not printing--am going to put the "old" one back in (since it wasn't empty) and try again.

keep the suggestions coming--also the research online has been helpful, but not successful!

Rose
Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 AM

I'll betcha it's the magenta not printing that's done it. Colors are not true -- it takes a combo to make some turn out.
If that fails, go to your print menu and go into advanced or preferences...make sure you're printing the right settings. (like - you don't want draft)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 AM

and is it a good white muslin? not the natural .
Old 11-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I just replaced them when I started, thought that might be the problem, for some reason when I do the nozzle check the magenta is not printing--am going to put the "old" one back in (since it wasn't empty) and try again.

keep the suggestions coming--also the research online has been helpful, but not successful!

Rose
is the Magenta a seperate cartrige? if it is then the Nozzle could be clogged. the only way I know to clean it is to get what is known as a cleaning page and run it through. (staples should have it)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM

I actually just called Staples to see if I brought them the freezer paper/ muslin if they could print it for me. Of course, the guy was clueless, but I guess I sounded so desperate he told me to come in and he would TRY to help me. what a sweetheart! helping a damsel in distress on BF. if Staples can do this, I will be singing their praises BIG time. I'm also gonna pick up one of those cleaning sheets. ugh. never fails when it's for a customer that Murphy's law takes effect....

Rose
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM

I had two printers that both did this at the same time. Unfortunately no matter what I did, same problem. Something is clogged and no matter what I tried, nothing helped. One was a cannon, the other was hp....so I junked them both and got a new one. How old is your printer. Old enough you may need a new one or new enough that cleaning etc. should help it.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM

well, the news at Staples wasn't good--no fault of theirs. My printer is so old (only 5 years!) that I can't get the cleaning sheets for it, nor a new part of some sort that may have helped. The printer services lady also wanted to help, but knew the laser copier/printers they use would melt the freezer paper and fabric. Didn't want to ruin two printers in one day! So I'm planning to head back to Staples after the kids go to bed to buy a new printer. Any suggestions?

Rose
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

did you treat your muslin before putting the freezer paper on it. bubble jet set helps your photos do well and stay soft. bubble jet set rinse too.
long ago i did a memory quilt and took fabric sqs and photos to a print shop. they ironed on the photos for me to my fabric sqs. but since i didn't know about the fabric needing to be treated first, the photos are sort of stiffish. like on a t-shirt.