Plumbers

Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Be carefull if you use Home Depot (and probably Lowe's) for installation; there have been some real horror stories.

You might also want to check with your utility company. Some will "rent" a water heater to you for low $$$ fee that includes repairs if anthing goes wrong.

As for something new leaking after a plumber's visit, it may be the plumber but it could also be repairs/changes made in one area increase water flow/pressure that blows out older connections. Just a thought.

Best of luck with this! My house is 1962 and I'm always wondering what will go next.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 AM

One of my previous homes was a 150 year old farmhouse, that had copper and iron pipes, and well water that had a lot of minerals in it. the copper/iron combination acted like a battery, and the iron pipes filled with rust (and looked like the arteries of a heart attack victim!) and I had to replace ALL of them. I had to replace the pressure tank for the well pump a couple of times.

My current home is 95 years old, and the plumbing has been redone at least once since being built. When the house was first built, it used coal to fire the steam-heat boiler, and also a coal-burning stove in the kitchen (we still have the original blueprints, that's how I know).
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 AM

You should be able to go to Home Depot and buy the best water heater and they might sub contract the instalation for you. Also move the pipe that is resting on your exhaust for said water heater all for under 1,000 dollars.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM

The apartment building we have is from the fifties. We have things that need to be fixed, and no one can afford it. We had the electricity brought up to code (switch box instead of fuses) and our next job is getting windows done. At some point we will need the foundation fixed, floors replaced, and the garage replaced.

We are doing things one at a time... my grandfather keeps talking about windows, so I have a feeling that's next. Plus theres a possibility that we will be moving into his apartment if my aunt leaves, which means repainting our apartment and what not so that it can be rented out.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM

You should always check with your local Better Business Bureau (BBB) for people with grievences.

Does anyone know if plumbers are licensed? If yes, make sure the person has one. My father is a lawyer and I've learned a few things by listening over the years (don't tell him, he might send me a bill):

1. Never pay up front. There have been a lot of people who get rooked with half-done work or worse and the plumber refuses to finish.
2. Never sign anything until you are satisfied with the work.
3. It is best to put in writing (like a contract of sorts) what is expected before the job starts, get a legitimate estimate on paper (not just some verbal yada yada)
4. If the person is charging you for more than what was on the estimate and agreed upon, there must be some sort of explanation and receipts for parts.

You get the idea. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it has saved a lot of people a lot of money in the long run. I have to say that I've only had one person refuse to these terms and later learned they were a "fly by night" type of contractor.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 PM

If you lived in Austin you would get a rebate of 1500 for upgrading to lower elec or gas useage
Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM

I though Washington DC was the highest in everything but I just had a half bath put in and including fixtures, pipes and drain it cost 2400.00. The new larger hot water tank had to be moved to fit behind bath and including moving and new hw heater it was 850. all be Home Depot. all energy star too.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:04 PM

I think it depends on what is defined by "Austin". The City of Austin has its own programs that are different from state programs, etc. We live and work Austin or the Austin area but our house is actually in Williamson County not Travis, so we don't qualify for a lot of things that are advertised. It can be real confusing for some people if they aren't used to the beaurocracy.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
You should always check with your local Better Business Bureau (BBB) for people with grievences.

Does anyone know if plumbers are licensed? If yes, make sure the person has one. My father is a lawyer and I've learned a few things by listening over the years (don't tell him, he might send me a bill):

1. Never pay up front. There have been a lot of people who get rooked with half-done work or worse and the plumber refuses to finish.
2. Never sign anything until you are satisfied with the work.
3. It is best to put in writing (like a contract of sorts) what is expected before the job starts, get a legitimate estimate on paper (not just some verbal yada yada)
4. If the person is charging you for more than what was on the estimate and agreed upon, there must be some sort of explanation and receipts for parts.

You get the idea. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it has saved a lot of people a lot of money in the long run. I have to say that I've only had one person refuse to these terms and later learned they were a "fly by night" type of contractor.
they have to be licensed in NJ. Plus if there's work like this being done, we have to have it inspected by the municipality (and they also say on the permits do NOT make final payment until after the inspection and it's passed).
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about checking to see if you need a permit. Thanks. I know the plumber should ideally know about this but if they aren't all they are meant to be, they could leave you in big trouble with your city.