Plumbers

Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 AM

I think it's because they all have plastic surgery on their hind ends so they can have the perfect "plumber's butt". Maybe they have to buy special "plumber's butt pants" that are cut low in the back and are wayyyyyy expensive.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Shibori
I think it's because they all have plastic surgery on their hind ends so they can have the perfect "plumber's butt". Maybe they have to buy special "plumber's butt pants" that are cut low in the back and are wayyyyyy expensive.
ROLMAO!!!!

:thumbup:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM

That always makes me want to bring out a roll of duct tape and fix it for them. :lol:
Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Sounds way to high. I know gas water heaters are a lot more expensive than electric. Electric shouldn't run more than a couple of hundred dollars. The house we just rented had to be replumbed because it sat empty for 9 months. House was built circa 1925-30. Thankfully we didn't have to pay for it but cost wasn't but about $1500. Then the dishwasher had to be replaced. It was 1970's vintage. I'm glad we didn't have to pay for all this. :)
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM

for any work pertaining to water, call the water company and discuss it with customer service. often they have incentives or reduced prices for seniors or people below a certain income level. same goes with gas. always check with the gas company. utilities can be very accommodating.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Oh, the joys of home ownership.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Be carefull if you use Home Depot (and probably Lowe's) for installation; there have been some real horror stories.

You might also want to check with your utility company. Some will "rent" a water heater to you for low $$$ fee that includes repairs if anthing goes wrong.

As for something new leaking after a plumber's visit, it may be the plumber but it could also be repairs/changes made in one area increase water flow/pressure that blows out older connections. Just a thought.

Best of luck with this! My house is 1962 and I'm always wondering what will go next.

try a house built in 1738...i don't have enough space here to tell you what can go wrong in a house... we think the movie "the money pit" is a documentary.

as to plumbing...ALWAYS get a licensed plumber. we had a new water heater installed (instant one) with the new heating system. because of the new heating system, we had to have the building inspector pass the permit.

which is when we learned that the majority of the plumbing in my house was "do it yourself" and ALL had to be ripped out & redone.

same with electrictians. we are blessed with ours, he has a regular job & does side work... he came to figure out why the ceiling fan in my sewing room didn't work & rewired the upstairs bath, because he couldn't sleep knowing how it was.
and he only charged us a couple hundred (that time) the only issue is sometimes we have to wait for him to be available.

be very cautious with installers from both home depot and lowes.. if they were really good plumbers...they would not be working for 10-11 bucks an hour.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Mine charges $ 126.00 just to come to the house. It cost me $200 to change two faucets.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Wow sorry to hear of your problems.. I know it is not always easy but you need to get diffrent estimates. You would be surprised how much diffrence there can be from one to the other. Yea Home Depot usually hires out people to do installations for them.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 PM

SIGH...I feel your pain...everything is sooo expensive when you need repairs!