PO BOX

Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by chartwig
I have a PO Box and Hate it!!! First of all, we have to pay a yearly fee. The worst part is our small town does not have free mail delivery, so we don't have an option. I get upset every June when our renewal for our PO Box comes. Oh and if we don't list our PO Box on our address, they don't like to deliver the mail. They are so picky. I feel if you don't have an option of having a PO Box, you shouldn't have to pay for it. For instance, when we lived in the country we had a mailbox and had access to it 24/7. Now we have to abide by their hours plus the window is only open at certain times. When you work out of town it is like almost impossible to even get there if you have a package that won't fit in the little box. Grrr......
I would check on that. Here, if mail delivery is not provided, you don't have to pay for your PO Box. We do have to fill out a request form anually, but there is no charge.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Living in fear and distrust can take alot of joy out of life. I'm sure I've been taken advantage of by people I thought were friends but I'm still here, still trusting (within reason) and enjoying life. What will you gain if you miss out on what could be a very special friendship with someone because you are afraid to let them know you. Life is too short.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM

I have no problem with getting mail at my house, I would probably have issues with a PO box, because I would hate to park my car to check for my mail each day, also PO boxes aren't big enough for most packages so you would have to wait in line to get the package.
I also don't have a land line - both my husband and I have cellphones and our online service is through our cable company. I got rid of my land line years ago after a phone operator told me, when we were having problems with our dial up online services that "Just because you have a land line doesn't mean you can get online." Since the only reason we had a land line was because of online service - So phones are not an issue either.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM

LOL We have a PO box because the snow plow knocks down half the mailboxes along the road every winter and you have to dig them out of the snowbank every day if they are still standing or the mailperson won't deliver your mail anyway. For us, it's just way easier to have the box in the PO. It's only a mile from where we live to town and the PO. Our town is so small, if it does happen to get sent to our street address, they know who it is and what our box # is so they just stick it in our box. Smilessssss....
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Last time I applied for a credit card you could NOT have a PO box in your address. I notice other things have the same restriction.
I don't have any problems using my real address, the people on this board are so nice, as are 99.99% of the people we meet everyday. If the ax man wants to come and hack you up, there is not much you can do, short of getting a gun and a big dog.
Got gun. Got big dog. No help if neighbor allows her children to play in my mail box. Got PO Box.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I have a Mail box which is an actual street address rather than a PO BOX They will take packages and are just like the USPS but they are independently owned. We had our mail stolen too many times and with this I give what looks like a home address and I don't have to worry about strangers showing up at my door.
Yes, this is what I have also and I've had no problem with deliveries of UPS, FedEx or various other delivery services.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 AM

You have to take care of yourself. To be truthful, Anna isn't even my name. When my kids began to be online Hubby, Son, Daughter and I made a pact. We all chose pen names and agreed to use them whenever we were online.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 AM

Very wise!!!
Originally Posted by Anna.425
You have to take care of yourself. To be truthful, Anna isn't even my name. When my kids began to be online Hubby, Son, Daughter and I made a pact. We all chose pen names and agreed to use them whenever we were online.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 AM

USPS is perfectly safe, unless you have vandels in your area. I never leave anything to be mailed in the mailbox, I take it to the mailbox. Any checks I might receive goes directly into my bank account. There are ways to keep your mail safe without spending money on a PO box.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
Originally Posted by chartwig
I have a PO Box and Hate it!!! First of all, we have to pay a yearly fee. The worst part is our small town does not have free mail delivery, so we don't have an option. I get upset every June when our renewal for our PO Box comes. Oh and if we don't list our PO Box on our address, they don't like to deliver the mail. They are so picky. I feel if you don't have an option of having a PO Box, you shouldn't have to pay for it. For instance, when we lived in the country we had a mailbox and had access to it 24/7. Now we have to abide by their hours plus the window is only open at certain times. When you work out of town it is like almost impossible to even get there if you have a package that won't fit in the little box. Grrr......
I would check on that. Here, if mail delivery is not provided, you don't have to pay for your PO Box. We do have to fill out a request form anually, but there is no charge.

We had no choice either that they told us about until they let the cat out of the bag of those that where near did not have to pay and we did. Go to the USPO site and the information will be there.

Love getting our mail right out our front door and in a locked mail box.