PO BOX

Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM

What started all of us looking into this was when we found out that people living within a quarter of a mile from the Post Office got FREE boxes and we had to pay, we started looking for some answers and that is what we found out.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I agree if you have no choice, you shouldn't have to pay. That is just terrible. It isn't like we don't already pay enough for postage...
If it is your choice, then yes there should be a fee.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM

If someone was actually looking for you -- the postal people would give out your physical address! Have heard them do so and have had it happen to me :(
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Please, please everyone just be careful....you don't know us...really. We may seem nice and most I am sure are but there are people out there that prey on the nice people. Many times people do not realize that their neighbor or caretaker did something bad for years...even family members who they trusted.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

If you have a phone your address is probably public on the internet.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

You are so right but I like to think that most people are on the up and up. I try to be careful though.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM

It does not worry me giving my inforamtion out on line. I only deal with stores that are established and known. If someone wants that information, it is very easy for them to get it elsewhere. If they are up to no good they don't need any information, you just have to be convenient. You can get a mail box that locks.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM

I would be willing to bet that if you put your name into Yahoo and someother site you would be surprised to see that everything about you and your family comes up. If you have utilities in your name or have ever applied for credit anywhere they have you. Sometimes their info is wrong but they list you and your family members and for money will reveal a lot more. I have had a P. O. Box for almost 30 years and yet they have me and my deceased husband. They also get info at the courthouse and tax office so if you own property, they have you. Check to see and let me know. I live in the country on a very rural road and the local entertainment is to pull your mailbox down. Can't see the box from the house so just a lot easier to go once or twice a week on the way somewhere else and pick it up. Now have to worry about government closing my one man post office. Our address use to be a rural route. When we got 911 addresses the info people showed that I moved. Wasn't getting mail at physical address for years. We have had out of town company want to come for a surprise visit and all they have to do is go ask the sheriff. You can't hide.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Hmmm. Just a thought. Many people wouldn't consider swapping fabric or blocks with someone with no last name. Yes, we need to be careful living in this world, but if I ever have to collect mail from a PO box and disguise my identity from a bunch of quilters, well then just lock me up and throw away the key.[/quote]

Well said. It is very difficult to keep oneself hidden in this day and age. There are always places/methods for someone to find your info. I have better things to worry about. Our son says he Googles me if he needs our address. go figure. --Kona Linda--
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM

I had a po box when kids were in high school - the first one in the door would get the mail and it would be weeks later she would find it on her bed. I now live in an apartment and the office signs for packages and then I sign them out from them.