poison ivy

Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Do try using the Aloe plant for topical relief. The aloe will dry the lesions and stop the itch. Buy several plants and split the "leaves" and rub the juice on the poison ivy. Good luck! I am so allergic to the stuff also and use aloe every time I am unknowingly exposed.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Do try using the Aloe plant for topical relief. The aloe will dry the lesions and stop the itch. Buy several plants and split the "leaves" and rub the juice on the poison ivy. Good luck! I am so allergic to the stuff also and use aloe every time I am unknowingly exposed.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Bless your heart. The last time I had it I was pregnant and I got it on my stomach. It was awful!! The juice from the bumps DOES NOT spread poison ivy. Poison ivy spreads because the oils have not been washed off or as I think is in your case, the infection is so bad it has gone systematic (inside your body). I can look at it and get it!! I always make sure in the summer to wash off really good when I come in from working in the flower beds or garden with Burts Bees Poison Ivy Soap. It won't help you right now, but it will help to keep you from getting it again. I think the soap is about $5, but it is well worth it. You have to get the oils off. Don't use a moisturizing soap. Use a soap that 'cuts grease'...dish detergent.

What I find relieves the itch, but is painful, is to rub the area down with rubbing alcohol. I'll take pain anyday over the itch from poison ivy.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM

There is a salve at the drugstore just for poison ivy - just got some for M-I-L - and it immediately took the sting and itch away - also take benedryl - helps a lot.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

I am so allergic to Poison ivy. I am so sorry you have this. It is not easy to get rid of. You must not scratch. Make sure you either throw away everything that might have touched it or wash it in HOT water. I got it once from the oil on my husband's boots.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

I just read Calamine lotion is helpfull, apply 3 or 4 times a day. I feel you pain. I wish I could help yu more
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM

update- I am still breaking out. I am allergic to prednisone but the dr. gave me another steroid- wondering if I am allergic to that as the new break outs are splotches, not the streaks of poison ivy and blisters. I am clearing up by using the lye soap for the itching and showering with aveeno.

The new splotches have me bothered- they are on my waist, hip and now down my right leg, only on the front. I still have it on my face by my eye and its still spreading on my upper arms.

I'm wondering how much stress is also in the equation. I super worried all the time about work, I own my own business and I am a worry wart all the time.

Going to call the dr. in the am and see if they want to see me. I am on the last little tube of steroid cream so I need to know if I need a refill before I go to my dd's on Friday.

I drive past the poison ivy on my way down our driveway and I itch just looking at it. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM

I have had some terrible times w/ PI! There was only 1 product I ever had that worked, and when it ran low and I couldnt find it I called the # on the empty bottle and the co had stopped making it!!!!!!!!!
After that I read up on PI and how it works:
1. it doesnt affect @ 10% of the pop.
2. the first time you contact PI plants nothing happens cus your body has not made the antibodies for the plant chemicals, it makes it thru this first contact, thereafter you break out worse as you get sucessive contact. (FYI: they tried making a chemical weapon out of PI plant oil!)
3. PI reaction is created by touching the plant and transferring oil to any exposed skin (so fine an amt you dont even feel it)
4. animals dont break out but can carry the oil. (They dont have human antibodies in their systems.)
5. PI reaction is your bodies antibodies fighting a foreign substance in you - the itch/blisters/weepy pusules are the result of your own antibodies at work. (bigger blister better antibodies at work I guess!)
6. There are several thoughts on the following: when the PI oil touches you and your antibodies make the blisters, the water in the blister also contains the chemical substance of the plant oil - there is a chemical reaction and your antibodies are turned into the plant chemical ) and as you scratch it and rub the water around it spreads the stuff over greater body surface, which just makes more antibodies come to the area and make more blisters. (some professionals say yes, some say no, personally I think this is true)
7. (also, if you try to burn the plant stay out of the smoke, smoke carries the oil and you can get this reaction inside of you, too.)

So, here is what I do/did.
1. First recognize the plant everywhere u r. keep pets out of it, use agent orange if you have to to kill it! some places its growing 3 seasons a yr.
2. if you think you touched it, you have @ 1/2 hr to get the oil off or it will get into your skin. wash w/ something like dawn dish soap. wash in the shower! all over. cold water!
3. if you will be out in brush there are some things at the drug store you rub on first, (I forget the name) it s clear and feels funny, sticky/dry, but it makes a barrier on your skin. when you come in from being outside, again wash up w/ dawn liquid.
wash in cool/cold water! warm/hot water opens the pores of your body making the oil get in you faster rather than wash off.
4. it wont go away any sooner than it takes your individual body to respond to the oil chemicals. for me its nearly 2 weeks.
5. use plain old fashioned calomine lotion! you will itch but this keeps drying up the blisters your body is making. twice a day, every day I did this: unwrap loose bandages, scratch like a fool and break open all my blisters, wash broken skin in dawn, then blot w/ paper towels, MAKE SURE ANY PART OF THE PAPER THAT TOUCHED A BLISTER DOES NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER PART OF YOU! Keep soaking up all the ooze as it comes up. put calomine on all blisters, keep going back and soaking ooze up, until the blisters crust over, then, more calomine, wrap very loose in gauze so if they break open the ooze wont get anywhere else on you. Take tons of benedryl to knock you out at nite so you can sleep. take benedryl during the day.
6. this will spread from your body to your clothes, too so be aware of what you touch and if you think a blister has touched clothing immediately get dawn on the cloth to lift the oil.
7. this from experience - everywhere the ooze touches will take the same 2 weeks to heal if you get a new blister in that spot, make sure you put calomine way out past the area of the first blisters.
I got PI so bad the first time it showed up and I was on a business trip. someone told me vit E would help so I was putting vit E oil from capsules on me and everywhere vit E oil went I spread PI oil!! I didnt know. by the time I got home I had PI up both arms, behind my knees, up my legs, going up my sides, around to my back! what a mess and I had to fly that way.
The next time i got it I read up on the plant in a medical book and I contained it better. The last time I got into the plant I immediately washed up in dawn and ended up w/ 3 blisters on my hands. I was rabid in containing these 3 blisters! and scraped them open twice a day and scratched myself silly under running cold water and sucked the ooze w/ pcs of TP, calomined my whole hands and it never spread and was done in under 2 weeks! share t (hope this helped anyone out there)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM

I certainly feel for you as I've had poison ivy many a time. Then I decided to read up on it and learn to identify posion ivy. I discovered we have posion ivy in our yard and thats how I was getting it alot. Didn't realize when I was pulling weeds I was also pulling up posion ivy. If you think you've come in contact with it rinse your hands off in COOL water. Wash off your gardening tools and gloves because if you don't you can come back into contact with it again that way. Hope you get better soon.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by kdlingenfelter
Use to be a Girl Scout and we used Jewel Weed.(touch-me-nots) on Poison Ivy. The plant is usually around where ever the problem plant is. It is up now, I saw it in the back yard close to my own poison ivy plant Just use the stem and rub it over the area. Very juicy stem.
oh, yes, I read that in the medical book, where PI grows usually the antidote plant grows, I just dont know how to recognize it! and oatmeal baths help w/ the itch too. sharet