POP BEADS

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM

OMG! I remember playing with my mother's "pearls". I loved those things. I never knew they made earings. My mom didn't wear them until she had her ears pierced. My dad didn't approve of pierced ears. I was 21 when I did it and I was afraid he'd see them! LOL

God Bless you for bring back such great memories!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Oh my goodness! Yep I remember Fizzies. I would beg my mom to get them, then half the time after I watched them Fizz, I wouldn't drink them....didn't really like them, just loved to watch them fizz.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
OMG these were so much fun. I remember popping them alot but I don't remember wearing them very often. Do any of you remember Fizzies?
I loved fizzies. Would buy my own package and break them up and eat slowly. Wow a lot like eating Pop Rocks only better flavors.

I loved my pop beads.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Oh wow! What a blast from the past! I don't remember earrings, but I sure remember the necklaces I made with those things! I loved them....wonder what ever happened to them? I also remember those wax lips and harmonica or pan pipe type wax things filled with colored sugar water...how about the wax mini coke bottles in a six pack remember them? Oh, oh, and how about the candy cigarettes and candy lipstick (vibrant red - as was your mouth when you ate it) with the bottom wrapped in gold paper to look like a sophisticated lipstick tube. And I think you can still find the fake mini ice cream cones with marshmallow ice cream. Man! I haven't thought about those things for years!

Hope you find your pop bead earrings. Thanks for the memories of my childhood. :thumbup:
I loved the lipsticks, use to get them every chance I got... and the pop beads were the greatest.:)... Wow this is a Blast From the Past...lol
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM

I got punishment once for popping beads in class. They were my future sister inlaw's. Oh boy, was I in double trouble. I had to write 100 times It is wrong to disturb my classmates. I bet they have the same problem with bubble wrap.....it's an addiction. I love the beads. got some ordered to add to my collection. I have to go unpack the garage to find my turquoise beads. The gold and pearl coatings have peeled off. Man, y'all just don't know how much I enjoy this. Thanks, its like a PJ Party!

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Oh how fun! I remember all of these goodies from the past. My sister and I had a big tupperware container filled with pop beads in various "pearly" colors. I remember my Dad would get mad at us if we left them on the floor and he happened to step on them :) I loved the wax lips and wax soda bottles. We also loved the candy buttons on the long paper strips. My favorite candy by far was Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. I also remember trying out my Mom's Tangee lipstick as well as her My Sin, Arpege or Evening in Paris perfumes. I have to ask, Ruth, why were you not allowed to even look at jewelry or makeup when you were a child?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Wow did you bring back some memories. I would love to find them for DGD.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
I'd love to play with those pop beads while I chewed on my wax lips! They look like a lot of fun!
Oh no! Wax lips brought back another childhood memory. I thought those were the most wonderful things---until this next day. When I woke and found that my eyes had swollen shut, my lips and tongue had swollen bigger than the bright red wax lips! I had such a horrible allergic reaction to them that mom wouldn't even let me have any of those tiny wax bottles that had little drinks in them.

We did occasionally get Chick-O-Sticks, Sixlets, and some other penny candy though. The worst was the big orange fluffy yucky Circus Peanuts that Grandma and Grandpa always gave us. I fed mine to their dog.

Mom was an Avon lady so we always had lipstick in every color available but we were only allowed to use a tiny bit of Instant Mocha on special occasions. I thought it was so grand to stay over at a friends house so that I could use her mother's Evening in Paris perfume. We never got anything but Avon.

How about CanCan slips? Anyone remember those? Personally I didn't ever wear any but I remember my older sisters having them. I played dress up in them.

This has been a really fun thread. It's brought back many good and some not so good but funny now memories.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 AM

OMG Circus Peanuts, I forgot all about those! Weren't they awful.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Ruth, you weren't alone with loving those pop beads. My sister and I had some and I swear I wore mine out by popping them over and over. Wow, thanks for bring back a great memory!