POP BEADS

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by emt2004
You are going to think I am crazy, but does anyone remember running behind the mosqutio truck that use to come around fogging the neighbor hood to kill mosgutios, we were just talking about that at work the other day, we never thought anything of it back then, was just fun running through the fog, heaven knows what that stuff did to our lungs......Michele
OMG, we used to ride our bikes in that fog whenever the mosquito truck came around. My sister and I were just talking about that the other day!! Sure wonder what it was they were using to kill the mosquitoes.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Ref, PMT and emt .......ugh yes I do and the oil truck that dribbled oil on the dirt roads to settle summer dust. In a way, glad Pres. Nixon started the EPA. It is only an authority of our fed government,but it has changed things, as did Ralph Nader and the Nader Raiders !
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Ruth, I found this link,so you weren't hallucinating, LOL!

http://www.auntjudysattic.com/Antique_Jewelery2.htm

Those are around $25, but here's a replica for $3.99:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/heyvi..._Style_Jewelry

This site is all 50's stuff. She sells the pop beads loose in a bag of 100 for $3.99:

http://secure11.actionhosting.ca/hey...sp?itemid=1008

OMG -- I remember those, and haven't them in many years.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 AM

I loved those beads!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I had spoolies I had dark brown ones. the pink ones hadn't come out yet. they made pin curls without bobby pins. I too liked to play with them. I also remember the milkman coming by in his truck with big chunks of ice all around the dairy products. and he would let us get a piece of ice to crunch on. and my mama always wearing a apron with a bib on it over her printed house dress.and her always having a hankie in her pocket to spit on and wipe our faces. Mary
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Oh My gosh!!!! the trip down memory lane you started!!!!
I was in kind of a funk this morning---until I started reading---
Of course - "POP BEADS" caught my eye----and that started the ball rolling........Thank you all for bringing back wonderful, memories.

I did a LOT of inside roller skating at our local rink - which was a HUGE tent that the sides rolled up for the summer breeze---do you remember having ump-teen pairs of pom-poms on your skates!!!!! Oh for the "Good ole days"
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Ok, that brings back memories---I used to make them for myself and my doll too
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
The thread about different foreign coins made me think of this.
I help elderly folks (as if I weren't one myself!) and sometimes they ask me if there is anything I would like to have. The only thing I've ever mentioned is pop beads from the 50's. I was so enchanted with them when I was a child and was not allowed to look at jewelry or make up.....tabu. But, I always wanted those beautiful beads that you pop together, pop apart and mix. I know they had earrings that were clip ons. I never got to see them close up. I had a teacher who wore hers everyday with a different colored leaf shaped pop on. Does anyone have any earrings they would part with?? or just a picture would do. I want to know in my old age that I haven't hallucinated. and if I am, I surely have enjoyed it. lol

Blessings,
Ruth
Hi Ruth. I often think about the pop beads we wore in the 50's. we had some much fun taking them apart and putting them back together again. I still can remenber the popping sound they made. brings back childhood memories
Ada
Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 AM

I had the rearl pale pink too. the were smaller then the ones rhat first came out. I loved them
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Man, I have loved reading this thread and remember alot of the stuff. How about the paper dresses we wore? and the square cinnamon suckers? THis has been so much fun, now i HAVE to get up and do something....lol