Possible (Probable?) Scam

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM

I have had this. I used to be a police officer. Don't EVER let anyone you do not personally know into your house or on your property. When it sounds too good to be true...it is.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
My caller ID showed this call from "Service Department" from an area code that is not one of the local ones.

The recorded message starts out with - an offer for a 'free alarm system installed in your home . . . for free' in exchange for the 'company' putting a small sign in our yard. I didn't listen to the rest of the message.

Seems like a good way for strangers to get a good layout of one's home and property!!
I just got the 3rd or more call on this. They said to press 1 if I wanted more info. Press 4(?) if I wanted my number removed. They annoyed me so I pressed 1, turned up my TV and turned on the speaker phone and waited until I heard the clear button. Their # is 253-382-9098. I am on the 'do not call' list.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Just another scam. They do install for free - but the monthly charge is $30 - $40 !
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

there are people who call businesses saying they are the phone company and working on the lines and to please punch 9. well that gives them access to your line and all sorts of calls from African countries show up on the bill later. try calling the 800 numbers given-no answer to have them taken off. so much trouble!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I have been getting those calls too and got one on my cell. I chewed them out for calling me cell and hung up.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Watch the AT&T thing. I changed providers and AT&T refused to except it. Kept saying that their equipment was still in service and trying to charge me for it (was a very large bill also).
Originally Posted by decky View Post
My husband received an email this morning from AT&T saying that his bill is now online and that he owed more than 1,400, the only problem is we haven't had AT&T service for over 4 years. We decided that it was another email scam!! Anyway I hope it's a scam sure don't want to pay that much money.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM

I always say that I am happy with the security system I have..............calla
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Watch out for the scam where they call you as a grandson or other relative that has been in an emergency and needs money wired to them. We have gotten it twice. They start out by saying "hi, grandpa" or "grandma". They give you a fictitious scenario and of course, you want to help whoever is in trouble. We discovered they won't give their name until you inadvertantly give it to them. We have caught on at the last minute, and then hung up. But we were sucked in to the beginning of the call - it sounded realistic.