Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Scam Alert

Possible Scam Alert

I received an email this morning from a sender called Expedited Shipping. Thinking it was about an item I ordered on eBay I opened it. Then it said the mail carrier couldn't deliver the item on April 30th and to click on the link to print the shipping label and take it to the PO to get the package. I didn't click on the link. At that point I began to get suspicious and checked the sender's address. It wasn't the one I ordered from and I only placed the order yesterday so they couldn't have tried to deliver it on April 30th. When you open the email the heading has USPS printed on it making it look like it's coming from the post office. If it came from the PO it would have usps.gov or something similar in the sender's address.

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case other's have gotten this too.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Thanks for the warning!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I received the same email a couple of months ago. Since I had not ordered anything I was suspicious. Also when it said take it to my "nearest post office" I thought -wouldn't I have to take it to the post office that tried to deliver it? So I just deleted it. Some day I may miss out on something but in the meantime I am avoiding a lot of malicious scams and viruses.

I've also rec'd the same type of emails over the last few months. Some were from FedEx, some from UPS, and one from USPS. I hadn't ordered anything so I just junked them. I agree, Luanna, I may miss something in the future by ignoring these but there are so many scams out there that I'd rather be overly cautious.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I use to get something supposedly from UPS about not being able to deliver something. Since I had nothing coming, I just deleted.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I get those frequently saying the same thing only with FedEx or UPS. Quickly delete them!

Blog Entries
    Whenever I see an email that appears like the subject is too vague for a corporation to send, I Google the words and add 'scam' to it. You would be surprised how many links come up with the scam alert recently dated. There is one out there since April for Expedited Shipping. I have gotten several lately too.
    When ordering from Ebay, Etsy, etc. you can contact the seller immediately when you place the order. Ask them to place code words that you establish in the subject line whenever there is any correspondence from them. Most sellers I order from send a message if anything has progressed on the shipping. You can go to your message center in Ebay and check if they sent anything.

This type of thing has been happening for several years now. All allege that a package couldn't be delivered. It's called "phishing". The scammers are hoping you'll bite and give out your personal information so that they can steal from you.

Post office tracking is initiated by the package sender based on a tracking number assigned when the mail charges for the package is paid. In every case where I have used mail tracking, I had to contact the post office and enter that number to get information.

I rarely use Fed-ex or UPS, but I imagine their tracking works similarly.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I get those and also some from Costco trying to deliver my online order. I do not order online. I also have had several emails regarding eviction notices. Gotten about 6 of those. Don't you think if someone were to evict you, it would be a Sheriff at your front door instead of in an email?

I get those all the time and delete them

Blog Entries
    A friend of ours got one of those and opened it. Messed it up big time.

Blog Entries
    I've also been getting these. In fact a few a week.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

The people who conjure up these scams must stay up all night dreaming about how they can cheat people. Sad. I received a phone call that made my blood boil. It stated, your 'prepaid' credit card is not protected. Enter its number now and you have full protection. This is a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT approved call. Yeah, right. And I don't even own a prepaid credit card. But it makes me sick that some poor old soul won't even hear that word, just 'credit card' and 'unprotected' and give these people their credit card information. By the way, the caller ID is 901. There is a lot of info online about the use of this number to scam people. And to use the phrase federal government approved is just the cruelest.

Blog Entries
    You might want to forward this email to the PO so they are aware of what is happening.

Good idea, jshep.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is more than a scam. It is a VIRUS that will crash your computer. I received the same email and did not click on the link but my daughter did click on the link. She owns a business that uses the post office all the time so she thought it was legitimate. The virus crashed her computer. She had to pay for a day's worth of labor for her computer guy to come 100 miles to fix it and had to buy a new hard drive.

Blog Entries
    T HESE E-MAILS ARE SCAM. You will get them within a day or two of on-line orders. Some one is wanting to confirm your credit info to do some shopping at your expense. I have gotten these 'e-mails from USPS UPS FedEx etc.. I call them and they all say THEY NEVER e-mail senders or recipient's --They will leave a notice on your door of "Failed Attempt to Deliver'' with instructions for them to make delivery. And when ordering on-line the company may send you an E-mail saying your order has been shipped or processed.This gives you a heads up to watch for delivery. Keep an eye on your purse whether you shop in a store or on-line.

Thanks for sharing!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I get these warnings all the time and just delete them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for letting us know. I have seen and heard that there are more Scams of all descriptions; phone, email,mail,everything now than ever before.

We can't be too careful.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I received one of those earlier and when I clicked to open, it put something on my computer that wouldn't come off without help from a computer repair person!

I have been getting those for years, I just delete them, the post office will leave a message on the door or in your mail box.

Blog Entries
    These things have shown up in my spam. It's such a nuisance.
    Abiding in the Vine

Blog Entries
    I have also received many like that. I just label the spam and delete. My security program sometimes misses one. As was said, it is easy to check sender.

If you have the original email it needs to be forwarded to the United States Postal Service Inspection Service. If the scamer is trying to use the mail system it is considered mail fraud and is a federal offence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast