Posture

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM

I use two different things, sometimes at the same time. I have "The Gypsy Sit Upon". It's sort of like a balance ball. It's not good if you sit back, bc it's for sitting straight. I also use a weight belt. It fits sort of like suppenders.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM

I had the same thing in my left shoulder. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for 800 mgs of Ibuprrofen and tylenol with codine (I can't take Aleve). I took the medicine for a few days, but didn't get "instant" results and stopped taking it. It took about two months before I felt better. Now my right shoulder and right arm hurts. I went to the doctor again. This time I had bursitis in the shoulder and tennis elbow. It is really painful in the mornings. It has been about two months now for that and it is finally getting better on its own. I feel all of this has to do with too much quilting, but I wont quit.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Again - "Two Old Goats" lotion for pain. Look on the internet. Herbal, no drugs, pain relief only.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi! I had the same thing. My shoulder hurt so bad I couldn't sleep at night. I would roll on it and it would wake me up. I tried a chiropractor and it didn't work. Went to the Dr. and she said it was frozen shoulder. I looked it up and thought I would just wait and see if it got better. It didn't so went back to her and she referred me for physical therapy. It was great. I went about two or three times a week for about four weeks. Then he gave me exercises to do. And the pain went away. I have had a couple of flare ups since and if I do the exercises for a while it goes away. It sure beats being in pain. Also if you don't do something about it you can actually damage it where it won't recover. So don't wait to do it.

Originally Posted by tdgiffin View Post
I love to sew, and I hate it when things get in the way of it.

I have developed some pretty severe shoulder pain in my left shoulder. It has gotten to the point that it makes it very hard for me to sew at times. I went to my doctor, and she thinks that I have either developed a bursitis, or I have damaged the muscle that leads up the back of my arm and into the joint. All I know is that it hurt like crazy, and I don't like to take a lot of pills. Ice works until I take it off. You can't sew with an ice pack on your shoulder!

I have medicine for it that I can take if I want to, but I am also wondering if I am doing something with my posture that may be irritating this. How do you generally sit at your machine? Is there something ergonomic that you do?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM

What I found that works for me is a broom or mop-------stand streight with it over your head holding with both hands appx 18 inches apart; raise and lower behind your head appx 20 to 50 times depending on how you feel. This strengthens the shoulder and back musles...also helps support posture. Might have to start with only 10 to 15 times but work up to more. It is more benefical if eventually finding something a bit heaver or with weights. Currently 104 degrees in Texas.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM

It isn't sewing that makes my shoulder scream...it is cutting.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
It isn't sewing that makes my shoulder scream...it is cutting.
What is the height of your cutting table? It should be approximately at your belly button. If the cutting table is too high, your shoulder has to exert much of the pressure required to cut the fabric. If the cutting table is sufficiently low, you can lean more of your body into the cuts, taking some of the pressure off your shoulder.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Sounds like you have a lot of good advice here for your posture. The thing I understand though, is heat relieves ongoing pain. Also soak with epsom salts.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM

For posture one of my best finds was a Posture Pleaser by Body Rite. Sorry I can't seem to get the picture any bigger, but you put your arms through these elastic loops (kind of like suspenders) an on the back is a weighted pouch. I think I paid close to $40 for mine years ago, but just saw them on Amazon for $26. It really makes you sit up straight and has helped me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354205[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails posture-pleaser.bmp   posture-pleaser.bmp   posture-pleaser.bmp  
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM

OK so it was bigger than it looked and I put it in 3 times so now you really get the picture.