Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pre Lit trees

Blog Entries

Pre Lit trees

My tree has to be replaced. I'm looking at a pre-lit tree. What happens if a light burns out. Do all the other lights still work. Are these trees as easy as I think they are re no more lights to string.
    True4uca

Power Poster
    You need to look for a lighted tree that has continuous lighting. The continuos lights I believe stay lit if a few bulbs burn out.

Blog Entries
    I love mine...but my friend bought one at the same time and she got the new bright led lights and they are so bright they can't see the bulbs and decorations so they really don't like it. Look at several diff trees they all have something different!

Blog Entries
    Thanks. That's the info I needed. Just couldn't think of the word continuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You need to look for a lighted tree that has continuous lighting. The continuos lights I believe stay lit if a few bulbs burn out.
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    Good to know. I would have gone for the brightest lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I love mine...but my friend bought one at the same time and she got the new bright led lights and they are so bright they can't see the bulbs and decorations so they really don't like it. Look at several diff trees they all have something different!
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    love mine, one light burns out, they are all still lit.
    got mine cheap in Sept at Walmart for about $39 for a 6 foot.
    I love it 3 pcs and it's up
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    wow , that was a good price. I gave mine to a plumber a few years ago. I live with a hubby who doesn't care about Christmas and i'm not decorating for just me.

We have two trees, one is 12' and the other 7.5'. When a light goes out a section of lights go out, or so it seems. My husband spent days troubleshooting the 12' tree trying to get all the lights working. Finally, I convinced him to put a few strands of lights on it and forget about it so that I could get it decorated. I told him when we take it down, he can fiddle with it all he wants! The 7.5' tree had a few lights out as well so we did the same thing.

I bought a pre lit tree years ago. After a few years the lights started to go, one out, a section went out. After spending countless hours trying to find the bad bulb, I spent a few more hours and cut all of the lights off, The tree is fine, I just add my own lights now. Will look for a better one whose lights stay on after one goes when I replace this one.

We got ours a few years ago. In addition to prelight lights, it was also fiber optic. We loved the fiber optic so much, we didn't use the lights.

Got ours at Hobby Lobby 7 1/2 ft. LOTs of lights easy peasy.

Blog Entries
    Warning!- do not buy just any tree. Walk up and touch them, brush against them, and be sure there are no sharp points. The first one I bought shredded our arms trying to put it up. The second one has no sharp points. The first one was from Home Depot and cost me $169, and the the nice one was $32 at Walmart, so price is no guarantee of good quality in this case.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We had a prelit that never went out. It wasn't very tall about 18" and only because of space issues. My sister has a prelit she's had for about eight years. She had couple lights go out and got some lights attached to a small battery pack. She just disbursed those through her tree in the areas that aren't as well lit. She has a lot of chrome ornaments she put glitter on. With the lights reflecting off and glitter you can't tell any lights are missing. the battery pack light have their own on and off switches. About $3. a piece.

I have a pre-lit tree, only used it a few times.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just orderd a non prelit . I have lots of nice special lights I want to use. Years ago I bought a tree after xmas and then the next year I tied with wired several strands of lights. They were good name brand lights and I had that tree for about 25 yrs. I was so big I stored it in two huge boxes. Fainally I gave it to the church. When the lights on that tree started going bad my DH spent hours trying to fix and I finally cut all the lights off and used my own. I bought a prelit tree new at a thrift store and used it for a couple years and gave it to my daughter. Now I am going back to non pre lit tree.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

We bought a Noma brand tree with coloured pre-strung LED lights 5 or 6 years ago and have been really pleased with it. One light has burned out and the rest still work. It's much easier to use and I don't have to deal with the wrapping and untangling of lights, just plug section A into section B, and section B into section C after the pieces have been put together. My Mother in Law was so impressed with the ease of putting up and taking down the tree, she replaced her old one too!
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

We are on our second pre-lit tree in 3 years. We had issues with the first tree the very first season...the top section would be on...then, a little bit later, it would be off. Very frustrating. Then last year, the top section kept going off and on and the middle section only had half the lights burning. So, I put a strand of lights in that area and that worked fine till the evening before all our family were coming and, wouldn't you know it, that extra strand started randomly going on and off! So, we went out last weekend and bought a new tree at Lowes. It is a beautiful pre-lit tree...very sturdy and seems well put together.