Prednisone Side Effects

Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My son spent most of his early childhood on prednisone. We've been through all of those side effects. Talk with your doctor, but likely she will still have to come off of it slowly.

Prednisone is wonderful stuff, but at the same time, it's awful stuff.
Lisa, thanks! How old was your son? Did he experience any mental type side effects? My daughter experiences a feeling of loss of control over her body, and what I'd describe as mental confusion.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

My Mom had a kidney disease too, and when it would act up it caused many of the side effects you describe, without being on prednisone. When she went on it, they would worsen.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

I have SLE and Psoriatic Arthritis, when I was diagnosed some years ago I was prescribed Pred. The side-effects were the reason I was weaned off it and now I am a "Pred. refuser" (this was done with the help/advice of my Rheumatologist/GP/Neuro - fortunately they all communicate!). One of the worst side-effects for me was the mental side of things, so I can understand what you are going through with your daughter. Continue seeking their advice and maybe keep a symptom diary (sounds weird but it is useful to have with you when speaking to the Drs.).

All the best and hope your daughter feels better soon.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 AM

I have a autoimmune disease that has had me on Prednison for over a year now. I have gained 40 lbs and I do feel alittle out of it somedays. I read here of high doses an not so high doses. Well, I am on 25mg a day is that high or not so high? I will probably always have to be on this but the alternative for me just isnt a option. I hope your daughter can find something that does work for her. ANd I will be watcing this post to see what others say.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

have a son who had to be put on prednisone a few times---side effects you are describing are ones you should CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IMMEDIATELY. he may do something different to stop the effects right away- when side effects are more than a little annoying- or if you have more than one of the side effects that means something is amiss and needs to be checked out- do not put off for a month trying to wean her--get her to a dr who can do something for her now.
Originally Posted by WhitsQuilts
I know this isn't a medical forum, but with so many wonderful people here, I'm hoping maybe someone will have some insight for me!
I have a 13 year old daughter with a rare form of kidney disease. I'd tell you all about it, but it doesn't matter much for this. She had been in medicated remission for five years, meaning her kidneys were still being damaged but they were doing their job. About three months ago, she relapsed and as per standard treatment, her nephrologist put her on a relatively high dose of prednisone.
This time around though, the prednisone is giving her some wicked side effects. Not only does she have the chubby cheeks and mood swings, but also has anxiety, mental confusion, the feeling of not being in control and something that seems like a mild seisure.
Because stopping the prednisone suddenly is something that can't be done as it can damage other things, she has to wean off slowly and it's going to be over a month still till she is pred free. Right now she is missing school as she wouldn't be able to handle having an 'episode" at anywhere other than at home. (with me right beside her holding her as tight as I can and trying to be reassuring)
I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone has experience with the more rare side effects of prednisone, be it in a child or an adult.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM

I have a friend that is and has been on it for quite a while he said that it made him feel loopy and it made him have kidney problems the latest he started to have grand mal seazures the doctor is finaly weaning him off it. I do not like it thank goodness it gives me bad headaches so I only get the z-pac and I am not a happy camper when the pulmonary doctor puts me on it
Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

That poor kid! Prednisone is one of those love/hate drugs.
I'm wishing you all the best!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Hugs to you! It has to be horrible to have your child go through all that. Will pray for you both.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Unfortunately, prednisone side effects are common. I personally had to take prednisone on and off for a few years. I had all the side effects underneath the moon. I will keep your child in my prayers.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leota View Post
Check this site..
If your daughter is have "mild seizures" contact the Emergency room or your dr. immediately... that's a serious side effect.
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html
I AGREE!!!!!!! Go to the ER right away and or call her doc. I have siezures and it sounds like that's whats happening. I've taken predizone but not in high dozes and haven't had side effects. You need to get medical advice from doctors not quilters, no offense to anyone intended. Even if there are docs on here they need to "see" her to check her out.