Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long term effects of any liquid based marking tools? >

Long term effects of any liquid based marking tools?

Long term effects of any liquid based marking tools?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Default Long term effects of any liquid based marking tools?

Has any one noticed any effects on their fabrics ten or more years after marking them with anything that is "liquid-based"?

I have noticed fade lines on some items - that appear to have been marking lines - but these were yard sale items - so I have no idea what was used.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I haven't notice any but then I have mostly used Clover wheel powder chalk. I have used purple be-gone but haven't noticed any lines reappearing or fading. Improvements have been made over time from the products made in the 70s and 80s especially with invisible and polyester threads.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 AM

I've got a quilt I made and marked in the late 70's -- the marking is still there because I haven't quilted it yet. It will be interesting to see if it comes out after all these years!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM

I have not used liquid based marking tools because of their long term effects on your quilt top. The information I've read says that the chemicals in these pens can break down or weaken the fibers in your top, especially if left in over time. Another thing I read was that heat and laundry soap can set the marks. The recommendations for using this type of marking utensil is to mark your top, quilt it right away and then immerse the quilt in cool water until all the marks have disappeared.

Since my quilts get quilted over a period of time--sometimes long--I don't take the risk. But I also know people who mark their top, quilt it in a week and then soak it like you're supposed to and they've never had any problem. I just can't quilt anything that fast.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

The chemicals used in manufacturing and dying fabric now is much harsher then the chemicals in marking pens. What about the thread manufacturing process used today and our quilts are full of thread much more then they ever have been. I simply don't care if my quilts will last for generations though. There are enough quilts in museums to show what quilters can do.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

That is why I prefer chalk. I always wonder about the chemicals in other types of markers. I just do not want to take the chance of hurting something that I put a lot of work into.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM

I like to use the ceramic marker pencils or Crayola washable markers. One item I marked with blue Crayola washable marker sat for 6 months before I quilted it. All of the marks came out with washing in cold water.