pregnancy aches.... ideas?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

sound like shes being a bit over careful the risks off overheating and causing damage to the baby are mostly in the first trimester and when you are totaly submerging yourself in somthing hot like a hot tub. i used hot water bottles to realeave stress especaly toward the end off my first pregnancy and it never did my daughter any harm.
Originally Posted by ctub0126
OB says no on heating pads because "it's bad for the baby. Your body temp is already high and if we raise it anymore it will harm the baby." I don't know if she's being extra careful or I'm uniquely warm, but I'm pretty sure my temp will raise in a couple months any way :). (Summer in upstate NY..... ugh :P).
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM

A pillow between your kness and one against your back may help. :thumbup:
Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Ok, the short version is I'm 6mo pregnant and I know it's 'supposed' to make you a bit sore and uncomfortable. I also know there are a lot of people here with kids. Soooooooo, Anyone here have advice as to a good way to get comfortable enough to sleep at night. I currently weigh 15lbs more than I've ever weighed in my life and I think my body objects ;). Unfortuneately my doctor is thrilled that I'm gaining exactly what I should :lol:. My back and knees are just sore enough to keep me up and I'm keeping DH up.

Any help is appreciated,
Cheryl
With my last pregnancy, I had to sleep on the reclining side of the cough. It was the only way I could get comfortable. When I was laying flat, it just hurt my back too much. Putting a pillow between your knees will help to. Experiment a little bit to find out what works best for you.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
sound like shes being a bit over careful the risks off overheating and causing damage to the baby are mostly in the first trimester and when you are totaly submerging yourself in somthing hot like a hot tub. i used hot water bottles to realeave stress especaly toward the end off my first pregnancy and it never did my daughter any harm.
OB says no on heating pads because "it's bad for the baby. Your body temp is already high and if we raise it anymore it will harm the baby." I don't know if she's being extra careful or I'm uniquely warm, but I'm pretty sure my temp will raise in a couple months any way :). (Summer in upstate NY..... ugh :P).
Your OB would freak if you were in Texas. We're already around 100 degrees daily. You wouldn't need the heating pad. Just walk outside. If a heating pad isn't OK then I would think hot tubs, hot baths, etc. aren't either.

My SIL with 5 kids swears by a chiropractor, another with 4 liked massages, etc. I think everyone likes different things. My joints really ached when I was pregnant and I ended up using a body pillow and a recliner a LOT.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Taking tylenol fairly regularly but the heating pads are a no go according to my OB. The milk and bath sound good and I'll try the recliner.
----------------------
What about Epsom Salts? That would relax you, and also add some much needed magnesium to your body. Check it out with DR.
Many people in the world are low on magnesium. Perhaps that is why so many swear by Epsom Salt for helping with aches and pains. From what I read on the Internet, every country in the world is terribly deficient in it except for Egypt.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM

No, she is right about your internal temp being higher. We always told our patients who complained about being hot is that with the baby's metabolism, it is like you have a little furnace inside. And raising your temp can't be good for the baby over the long term. When I suggested a heating pad in an earlier post, I was thinking about your knees/legs and should have specified. My bad. What about trying an ice pack?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

There is also a pregnancy support thing that you can wear to support the weight of your, ever-enlarging, belly. Can't remember what it's called but it's is elastic like the girddles of the "olden days". The cause of most of pregnant women's backaches is the change in the center of gravity and the way your posture changes because of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Pregnant women tend to run a higher temperature than non pregnant ones. They will also tell you to avoid hot baths and hot tubs. First, when you temp goes up so does the baby's. When your temp goes up so does you heart rate...as does baby's. Also when you get in a hot bath or hot tub, it opens up your blood vessels and can have an effect on your blood pressure....AND when you stand up all the blood you brain needs to function, goes to your feet and can cause fainting (trust me it does :shock: ).

Try sleeping on your left side with a body pillow. As your uterus gets larger and you get short of breath more easily, the idea of the recliner is a good one...but try not to rest directly on your back, but tipped a little to one side. Keeps the full weight of your uterus from compressing the larger blood vessels in your abdomen and constricting the blood flow.

Best wishes...I know you can't wait for the little one to get here!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Nothing made me confortable the last couple of months. The only thing that worked was giving birth.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM

I have 6 kids and what really helped me was our waterbed. It was warm and put no pressure on any joints. Extra pillows help too.