Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Advice please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/advice-please-t121503.html)

llcathey 05-08-2011 06:16 AM

You made your plans a long time ago, grandson won't even remember if your there or not, hubby can stand in for you
kids should know to give notice we do have a life which they tend to forget ,,,,

arimuse 05-08-2011 06:19 AM

maybe you can make a little treat (cupcakes) and spend a day w/ him early, call it grammas special day with....day (not a bd, if hes so little it might confuse him). that way he can feel hes special and you can get some pics and time w/ him. Its hard to break plans you had for a yr, sharet

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-08-2011 08:04 AM

Don't you just love this Board? All the good advice on so many topics!

BettyGee 05-08-2011 08:56 AM

I'd stay with the year long plans. A two year old will not be hurt by your absence. Hope that doesn't sound cold hearted, but I remember throwing a big party for my son's first birthday and he was so little he had no idea what was going on. Plus he got so tired of all the excitement he just fell asleep in his high chair with cake on his face. At those young ages the parties are for the parents not the children.

Chasing Hawk 05-08-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
I'd stay with the year long plans. A two year old will not be hurt by your absence. Hope that doesn't sound cold hearted, but I remember throwing a big party for my son's first birthday and he was so little he had no idea what was going on. Plus he got so tired of all the excitement he just fell asleep in his high chair with cake on his face. At those young ages the parties are for the parents not the children.

My thoughts exactly.

butterflywing 05-08-2011 09:17 AM

a yiddish proverb (i'll try to spell it phonetically, and do it wrong):

vee kenst nisht tansin et tsvay chaniniss mit ayneh tuchiss.

interpretation:

we cannot dance at two weddings with one backside (you can't be at two places t once)..

spelled badly, i know.

Antdebby1 05-08-2011 09:17 AM

I've made my decision to go ahead with my plans to go out of town. Sent an email to my DIL ...no problem. :) :)

I worry too much! Thanks for all of the advice. Y'all are great.

butterflywing 05-08-2011 09:23 AM

have a wonderful weekend. bring back something special for him.

michelehuston 05-08-2011 11:02 AM

I would go. You have had plans for a year so don't change them.

CarolinePaj 05-08-2011 11:33 AM

I think that all the advice that has already been given is good. Send or take a lovely gift before the day and explain that you have long standing plans, are sad about missing the party.... but you won't be there. 2nd birthdays are not remembered by the children and the parents should be adult enough to understand.

Go, have a good time on you pre-booked engagement!

Hugs